What's new

Shortcut to Mushrooms - February 2014 PoM

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
(wow, timeliness fail here!)

SO. shortcut. to start off, the tobacco itself. looks almost completely black cav, with less than 5% tan and even golden tobaccos interspersed. out of the box, it appears very wet (to me), and screams sweetness on the nose, with some savory loamy scents behind. medium cut and feels decent in the hand, so loading it shouldn't be an issue, bar overpacking it.

(wow! didn't realize how different that would look against the red mat!)

over the course of feb, i burned 7 bowls of shortcut through 5 separate pipes, at different times of the day, to make things fair. pipes were chosen from my rotation for their abilities with either aros or english, being a true multitasker (cob and brog), or just "hey, i want to smoke my new meer!". left to right, a new low end meer, my pete bulldog, an old sav roma prince, my mr. brog pear wood "kentucky" (had to), and of course a MM cob. in all honesty, it behaved flat in the meer, and got a little wet in the sav. the brog performed OK, and can usually burn anything i put through it. i guessed going in that the cob would win this, but it turns out the petey actually brought out the best of this leaf.

the smoke itself, each time, started out VERY sweet. it didn't really weigh me down, but it was well out of my comfort zone. to me, heavy marshmallow vibe, with some of that peaty lat waaaaay in the back. not too dynamic, until the final third. in the pete and cob especially, at the bottom of the bowl the sweetness dropped off and i got a nice earthy creamy english vibe. never got 100% combustion, but there wasn't much dottle left, and while it had a tendency to not burn around the sides of the bowl, a little maintenance with a tool fixed it readily enough.

this, to me was a crossover, but only barely over the aro line. the vanilla is the dominating force. that said, it was a quality leaf, and i'm glad i tried it, and have some to go back to. for me, it was like a cake with too much icing: the sweet stuff was good, but too heavy handed, but if you made it past that, it was rewarding. next time i may burn it in a smaller pipe, to see if i can wade past the "icing" quicker. o)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok, sorry i am bit late on my review. I was only able to smoke two bowls. I ran out but ordered some, unfortunately my order and someone else's were switched. But I emailed them and Amanda responded immediately and went well beyond to fix it. Anyway, here we go.

Bowl 1:Earthy flavor, like mushrooms. A nice aroma that reminds of a campfire. The full but not strong flavor is very soothing. And after a big meal it is great! I then followed it up with some Drew Estate Heirloom Cherry. It was like mushrooms was a meaty meal and the DE was its desert!

Bowl 2: As I have another bowl, I am still along the line of thinking of how good it as after a good big meal. So I immersed myself in the world of Hobbits (I honestly think they have the best lifestyle and would love to live as a hobbit) and I pictured having a big hearty meal like at the beginning of a The Hobbit when Thorin and company show up at Bilbo's and a perfect finish would be a bowl of Shortcut to Mushrooms.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hey guys I know this is late but I just got on spring break and sat down to do this.

I sat down, loaded up lord of the rings on my kindle and busted out the Gandalf pipe. Bowl packed easily and the pre light aromas and draw were sweet and earthy. I lit the thing up and this is one of the first bowls I got to stay lit the whole time and it billowed smoke. The smoke was smooth and sweet and very enjoyable to me. I'm still new to pipe smoking so all I can really tell you is I liked it and I'm glad I have some left.

IMAG1871.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I enjoyed this one with its light smokey taste on cool rainy evenings. I quite enjoyed the mingling of sweet vanilla and smokey, peaty lat, like roasting a marshmallow over a campfire (without being over the top sweet).
For those looking to try lat blends for the first time, this is a fantastic introduction (as is Boswell's Northwoods or McClelland's Frog Morton).