What's new

Should i go to Cuba or not?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My company is taking all the employees worldwide (1000+ of us) on a week in Cancun, after the week we will have the option to stay in Cancun 2 days more with no scheduled company activities.

Should i ditch the colleagues and go for a quick 1 night stay in Havana?

If so, what's the MUST see places during my perhaps 48 hours there.

Thoughts?

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I would do the trip to Cuba only if you got a co-worker to go with you. If yo go by yourself it's gonna seem like your not part of the group. Take someone with you and it's all good. It still give the appearance that youre a team player.

It's all about the office politics.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well, to be honest i'm not worried about office politics at all, we have a great bunch of people, and i don't think anyone would mind if i went alone. 80% of the company are going back to their local offices after the first week anyway. The rest stays the extra 2 days for some R&R. Ideally i would however love to have a few guys or gals come with me though. :)

My concern was mostly the short window time wise. Does it even make sense to go if i only have 48 hours?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I haven't been (yet), but I have a feeling that a quick overnight stay in Havana would only leave me wanting more. General consensus is Havana requires at least a week just to scratch the surface.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you do decide to go, check out the latest issue of Cigar Aficionado if you haven't already. There is tons of information on sites to see in Havana.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mmmmkay, after some thought i decided to go, i allocated USD 300 to the plane ticket/hotel and then we'll see about the cigar shopping.
You are going to need more in the neighborhood of $400 for a CUN-HAV round trip ticket. Ticket price will vary depending on what day you fly. If you are leaving soon, budget at least $500 for airfare (it's peak season).

Plan on adding at least another $100 a night to that if you want to stay at a decent hotel. More well known hotels like Nacional and Parque Central charge in the range of 120-250 CUC a night.

If money is an issue, consider staying at a casa particular (average 30 CUC per night in Havana).

www.casaparticular.info

Congrats on your decision! I'm sure you will have a blast.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will also find CCs throughout Mexico and the rest of the world. Before you fly to the motherland, smoke a few (or more) during your companies party and get a feel what you like and what brand you would like to bring home.

Enjoy,

Joe :smokingbo

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
:) Well i got a few sticks at home and am pretty sure what i would like to bring home.

As to air fare, i've seen numbers a lot lower that USD 500. Air Linda usually lands around 190, but when i look now i see no cheaper than 320. :-(

Anyway, a few 100 here or there is irrelevant.

Last edited: