What's new

Should I let my cigars air out once in a while?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have my cigars stored in tuperdors and the weather/room environment is hovering right around 65/65, the conditions I store my cigars. Should I open up the tuperdors for a couple of hours and let everything air out? Mostly NCs maybe 15 - 20 boxes of CCs. No noxious smells (ammonia, must) in the tuperdors.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Never mind, the humidity is back over 80%. Had about eight hours where it wasn't raining and I though I could take advantage of the nice weather.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
good comments. i'm with @Cigary43. open it up once a month... changing gears, I have a cooer that is for long term storage. I don't open that unless I need to stabilize the humidity., which may happen every few+ months. anyone do anything different for ling term?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
good comments. i'm with @Cigary43. open it up once a month... changing gears, I have a cooer that is for long term storage. I don't open that unless I need to stabilize the humidity., which may happen every few+ months. anyone do anything different for ling term?
For long term I drop the rh% (62ish) and use a storage method that has air exchange “built-in” (cabinet, etc.) either way (long or short term storage) sealed air will mold eventually if left unchecked. Tupers and coolers are awesome for keeping in humidity, but they gotta have air exchange every once in a while. Once a month is probably the longest you want to go. But who only opens a humidor 12 times a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The nice thing about cooladors is that they are transparent enough where you can place the hygro inside to see the RH and temp without ever opening it... I have a large coolador where I age a ton of cigars at 65% and 70 temp.... I might pop the top maybe 2x a year and when I do.... it's Heavenly because I keep 4 small cedar squares in there and the cedar transfer makes all the difference.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
But who only opens a humidor 12 times a year
My sentiments exactly. My long term storage cooler in the closet still gets opened every couple weeks. If not to add another box, then it's to do my Smegel impression: sifting through the boxes muttering " My Precious"!! Lol
Back on topic: once a month should be fine

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll admit that maybe I'm a bit out of the ordinary ( imagine that ) but at least once a month I look at every loose cigar and into every box in all 8 tuperdors and my NewAir. Just to make sure I don't have a mold problem starting. I'll restack, transfer cigars I want to smoke to the "smoke soon" tuperdor and take a close look for problems.

I found my first tiny tufts of mold in a box of Cubans a couple of months ago, I wiped them off and isolated them from the rest of the tuperdor by double wrapping them in ziplocks with a 62% Boveda.

They are now the first cigars I check when I do an inspection.

When you're retired you have time to do stuff like that, even if you don't necessarily have to!!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll admit that maybe I'm a bit out of the ordinary ( imagine that ) but at least once a month I look at every loose cigar and into every box in all 8 tuperdors and my NewAir. Just to make sure I don't have a mold problem starting. I'll restack, transfer cigars I want to smoke to the "smoke soon" tuperdor and take a close look for problems.

I found my first tiny tufts of mold in a box of Cubans a couple of months ago, I wiped them off and isolated them from the rest of the tuperdor by double wrapping them in ziplocks with a 62% Boveda.

They are now the first cigars I check when I do an inspection.

When you're retired you have time to do stuff like that, even if you don't necessarily have to!!
I'm retired and I talk to my cigars while I rotate them...is that wrong?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
The nice thing about cooladors is that they are transparent enough where you can place the hygro inside to see the RH and temp without ever opening it... I have a large coolador where I age a ton of cigars at 65% and 70 temp.... I might pop the top maybe 2x a year and when I do.... it's Heavenly because I keep 4 small cedar squares in there and the cedar transfer makes all the difference.
I know. the smell is divine!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
As others have mentioned it's just good practice to burp your Tupperware and let a good air exchange take place...once a month is good.
Why? What happens if you don’t?
For long term I drop the rh% (62ish) and use a storage method that has air exchange “built-in” (cabinet, etc.) either way (long or short term storage) sealed air will mold eventually if left unchecked. Tupers and coolers are awesome for keeping in humidity, but they gotta have air exchange every once in a while. Once a month is probably the longest you want to go. But who only opens a humidor 12 times a year

Mold spores + moisture + food source = mold. How does an air exchange change this equation? Considering you will still have an environment regulated to the same humidity, the same food source, and now the possible introduction of new mold spores wouldn’t the chances of mold growth actually rise?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why? What happens if you don’t?

Mold spores + moisture + food source = mold. How does an air exchange change this equation? Considering you will still have an environment regulated to the same humidity, the same food source, and now the possible introduction of new mold spores wouldn’t the chances of mold growth actually rise?
I should have given a better explanation as to "why" burping Tupperware is advisable. Younger cigars will give off ammonia as the tobacco matures...this happens a couple of times but is most noticeable within the first couple of months which is why a fresh air exchange is recommended...ammonia can kill the taste of any cigar if not allowed to "De-gas"...

If you're going to store your cigars from 6 months or more then the exchange isn't really needed providing the RH is where you want it (62 - 67%)... and the temperature isn't over 74 degrees ( example: RH might be 65% and the temp might be 74... that combo still keeps you in the safe zone)