What's new

Should I let my cigars air out once in a while?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I should have given a better explanation as to "why" burping Tupperware is advisable. Younger cigars will give off ammonia as the tobacco matures...this happens a couple of times but is most noticeable within the first couple of months which is why a fresh air exchange is recommended...ammonia can kill the taste of any cigar if not allowed to "De-gas"...

If you're going to store your cigars from 6 months or more then the exchange isn't really needed providing the RH is where you want it (62 - 67%)... and the temperature isn't over 74 degrees ( example: RH might be 65% and the temp might be 74... that combo still keeps you in the safe zone)
Ammonia is a byproduct of the continued fermentation of tobacco, and an awful taste in a cigar while smoking it, but how does the presence of ammonia negatively effect a cigar simply in storage? A build up of ammonia in a cigar box or a storage container needs to be vented regularly why?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ammonia is a byproduct of the continued fermentation of tobacco, and an awful taste in a cigar while smoking it, but how does the presence of ammonia negatively effect a cigar simply in storage? A build up of ammonia in a cigar box or a storage container needs to be vented regularly why?
Yes.... ammonia is part of the process of fermentation and if you store young cigars with more mature cigars there will be a residual transfer...unless you don't care or enjoy that nasty taste...which is why one would want to vent the Tupperware. Are you just looking to be contrary with ...why....why....if you don't care about ammonia in Tupperware then by all means don't concern yourself with it...maybe you could store garlic inside as well.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Regardless, you should check your cigars for minor problems before they become big problems. I don't know how to check for mold and beetles without opening the humidors. Even if just burping you should still take a peek and a smell. I definitely think you should inspect your cigars on a schedule that will allow you to catch these problems. Once in a great while when the humidity and temperature in the Cigar Room is just right I like to lay them out on the counter and check every cigar. To me even a hint of ammonia is so nauseating that I put off any plans I have to smoke till the next day. Why have that sensory experience if you can avoid it? I have cigars 10 deep in some of my storage. Restacking and rearranging in my opinion allows for a more even distribution of humidity in the cigar and helps them keep their shape.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Regardless, you should check your cigars for minor problems before they become big problems. I don't know how to check for mold and beetles without opening the humidors. Even if just burping you should still take a peek and a smell. I definitely think you should inspect your cigars on a schedule that will allow you to catch these problems. Once in a great while when the humidity and temperature in the Cigar Room is just right I like to lay them out on the counter and check every cigar. To me even a hint of ammonia is so nauseating that I put off any plans I have to smoke till the next day. Why have that sensory experience if you can avoid it? I have cigars 10 deep in some of my storage. Restacking and rearranging in my opinion allows for a more even distribution of humidity in the cigar and helps them keep their shape.
There is truth here. Those long forgotten boxes in the bottom of your cooler need to see the light of day every now and then, for a wellness check if nothing else. I spent some time just this last weekend wiping a bit of mold off of 2 boxes of gars. The issue seems to be limited to CC dress boxes, damn mold like the good stuff. Regardless, I plan to implement a rotate and inspect policy, probably quarterly or semi-annually.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yes.... ammonia is part of the process of fermentation and if you store young cigars with more mature cigars there will be a residual transfer...unless you don't care or enjoy that nasty taste...which is why one would want to vent the Tupperware. Are you just looking to be contrary with ...why....why....if you don't care about ammonia in Tupperware then by all means don't concern yourself with it...maybe you could store garlic inside as well.
Just a few more questions if you don’t mind.
I’m curious about what you do with SLBs. Just burping a tupperdor or cooler won’t vent all the ammonia trapped in a SLB. Do you empty all your cabs once a month too? If not, are the ones in the middle of the bundle so forever tainted by exposure to the off-gassed ammonia by the other ones that you should just pitch them?
There are tons of guys who age their boxes in vacuum seal bags, and then store them for 5 years or more without breaking that seal expressly to keep them from fresh air and to keep all that off-gassed ammonia inside. They claim that not only are the cigars not tainted by the ammonia, but that they actually age better that way. Are they all wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just a few more questions if you don’t mind.
I’m curious about what you do with SLBs. Just burping a tupperdor or cooler won’t vent all the ammonia trapped in a SLB. Do you empty all your cabs once a month too? If not, are the ones in the middle of the bundle so forever tainted by exposure to the off-gassed ammonia by the other ones that you should just pitch them?
There are tons of guys who age their boxes in vacuum seal bags, and then store them for 5 years or more without breaking that seal expressly to keep them from fresh air and to keep all that off-gassed ammonia inside. They claim that not only are the cigars not tainted by the ammonia, but that they actually age better that way. Are they all wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Don't worry about asking questions...be glad that there are answers these days that weren't available when I started in this hobby in 1965.

1. Ammonia is just a natural part of the hobby and occurs in young cigars...best to quarantine young cigars in separate storage sources be it Tupperware or wood. SLBs like any cigar need to reside in any good media storage as long as it retains a healthy RH and temp.
2. I have stored CCs and NCs in their natural state... vacuum packed, shrink wrapped, etc. and didn't really find any appreciable difference in quality one way or the other... what is critical is the RH and consistent temperature. It comes down to experience and what we like as individuals...some prefer lower RH and temps with CCs...some don't. I prefer ALL of my cigars in the 65%RH range and temps in the low 70s....JMO.

Sometimes this hobby can be anal....the best advice is RH and Temperature....consistency... ammonia has never killed a cigar as it goes through it's maturation process...it will de-gas but use some patience and try not to mix young cigars with your mature ones...
3. As far as air exchange goes...if you are in and out of your humidors then you are fine....if one wants to rotate your cigars...g'head but if one thinks it's going to make a big difference...well, if one thinks it does then that's all that matters.

Relax.... light up and enjoy a well rested cigar or one ROTT.

Last edited: