What's new

Show/List your latest CC Purchase

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, I give up. What the hell does HQ stand for?
High Quality. PSP is Premium Select, PE is premium economy.

It's a rating system for a site. PSP is the "best", HQ is a hair below, and then PE is basically good, but more or less average.
And BS is, well, you know.... :)

I keed, I keed. You make valid points. I just personally don't buy it.

Which part? The idea that you can tell what cigar box will be better, or that this is a scam?

I mean, evaluation of cigars is a unique skill, and can somewhat be learned. Similar to knowing what wines will come good, or evaluating prospects for sports, there's some key indicators that could be used to at least have a ballpark idea of what's typically going to lead to a better quality.

Is it a 100% science? No. But, I think some would be able to pick a box based on experience better than I (a relative novice for CCs) or most others possess.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0

It's a rating system for a site. PSP is the "best", HQ is a hair below, and then PE is basically good, but more or less average.

Which part? The idea that you can tell what cigar box will be better, or that this is a scam?

I mean, evaluation of cigars is a unique skill, and can somewhat be learned. Similar to knowing what wines will come good, or evaluating prospects for sports, there's some key indicators that could be used to at least have a ballpark idea of what's typically going to lead to a better quality.

Is it a 100% science? No. But, I think some would be able to pick a box based on experience better than I (a relative novice for CCs) or most others possess.
I don't know if I'd go as far as calling it a scam. I do think it's definitely a gimmick used to make money for no real benefit though. I could see if he was smoking 2-3 out of a box first, but not off just sight & smell alone. Beautiful wrappers aren't always an indicator of exceptional quality, IMO. Like I said before, the wrappers on some of the best/most memorable CC's I've ever had were nowhere near "perfect". You made the analogy of wine/sports, well don't the people actually taste the wine first before making their prediction of which ones will age better? Can't scouts follow the athlete throughout his career and perform myriad of other tests before making their prediction on how good they'll be? That's my only point. If you're happy dropping $50+ more on a box that "might" be better than the same one I got at regular retail, then more power to you. Not knocking you....just saying it's not for me personally, that's all.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0

I don't know if I'd go as far as calling it a scam. I do think it's definitely a gimmick used to make money for no real benefit though. I could see if he was smoking 2-3 out of a box first, but not off just sight & smell alone. Beautiful wrappers aren't always an indicator of exceptional quality, IMO. Like I said before, the wrappers on some of the best/most memorable CC's I've ever had were nowhere near "perfect". You made the analogy of wine/sports, well don't the people actually taste the wine first before making their prediction of which ones will age better? Can't scouts follow the athlete throughout his career and perform myriad of other tests before making their prediction on how good they'll be? That's my only point. If you're happy dropping $50+ more on a box that "might" be better than the same one I got at regular retail, then more power to you. Not knocking you....just saying it's not for me personally, that's all.
You two are kinda agreeing a little bit. Personally I don't buy into the program, but that's mainly because of the extra cost for a box. It's a smart marketing gimmick, but there is value in having someone pick out a good box for you. How much that is worth depends on the person and the cigar. Also, darker wrappers, which from my understanding is a key factor in how he picks out premium boxes, do not always mean better. Some people prefer lighter wrappers. On a side note, there are other vendors who will do this for you at no additional cost, you just have to ask them and you can request lighter or darker or oilyier or sparkleier or smoother or etc etc.. However, i remind you guys that I am no CC aficionado, so many others know a lot more than me.

This does bring me to another question though, what do you guys think is more important, the box code or how the cigar looks/smells? for example, would you rather spend money on a psp box or a box with a factory code that you know and have heard good things about?

Last edited:

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
from what I gather, and without sounding like the right questions have been asked, the psp hq pe selection processes is performed from a significant amount of fresh from the factory master cases. other vendors can and do similar requests but imo on a much smaller scale. as for determining whats deserving the high marks, its simply a scale. the trained eye and nose going thru dozens and dozens of Especially '13's is a solid bet.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There also is a heavy amount of sampling and experience throughout the years. Is a 12 the same as a 14? No, but, there will be some similarities in what's the same blend and factory.

I do think the PSP part is too steep for me, but I do like the HQ boxes I've gotten. I like it, and that's personal preference. I'm sure as I get more experience, I will tend to move away from the luxury service, but for now I use it when the price is fair.

On the PSP or factory code, it depends. There are codes I have liked and see people recommend that I would prefer, but I don't know enough to say, go get X for this stick. Since I lack that knowledge, I would take a PSP or a HQ over a specific code, though I often will search and see if people who have gotten that code say good things. Either way, there are some that are more consistent in past years, but you never know. Cuba is Cuba.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
This should be a thread all on its own... lol. I personally don't participate in that HQ program, I'll leave it at that. Me personally? I'm not usually a code chaser but I would rather get a code after hearing some people say they thought a cigar was great with "x" code, rather than pay extra for a box that simply looks nice and shiny with no tasting involved. And to me wrapper darkness does not = a better cigar.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled thread. lol

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't even know where to start on how to get CC's. Those look nice!

Edit: I would like to clarify I am not asking for help or soliciting asisstance from any BOTL. I'm just stating my general lack of knowledge on CC's and my admiration for those who do aquire them.