What's new

Show us your latest beverage purchase

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Not on these, no! I like them waaaayyyyy too much!
ha ha... yeah, figured as much. if you decide down the road to change your mind, the offer is standing...

let this be a warning to others - if you see this bottle on a shelf, grab it!

/end threadjack

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A little tip on the Balvenie 15 for future purchases...

David Stewart doesn't target an age for the 15*... rather a flavor profile. Before I buy a bottle of 15, I always pull the bottle out and check the dates typed (formerly written) on the bottle. A fellow Balvenie enthusiast in Germany has a 21 year old bottle sold as Balvenie 15. That is not the norm, but I have a 17yo and at one point an 18yo bottle of Balvenie 15. Considering the price difference between their 17yo releases and the 15, it is a nice savings. Plus, who complains about a bit of extra age!

*this statement obviously doesn't negate the fact that a 15yo label must be applied to whisky at least 15yo... so even with the right flavor a 14yo whisky wouldn't end up being bottled as 15yo.
I checked and mine was in the cask for 17 years. Cask'd in '92, bottled in '09. Great stuff, I've been really enjoying it. The bottle is almost gone thanks to a bunch of Brothers and I. I haven't been into single malts for too long, about 6-7 months now and I'm loving it. I find myself drinking this over anything else lately.

I have a bottle of Suntory 15, Japanese single malt which is outstanding. I don't know where to find this stuff, I never seen it in a store. I got it for xmas, from my uncle. He's pretty cool :)

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just bought myself four bottles of 1994 vintage port. It is the birth year for my second son and I figure I can save and we can drink for his wedding, child birth and such.

Best regards, tony

PSI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve in the middle, and The Balvenie Caribbean Cask to it's right.

Bsneed51

Lock and Load
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve in the middle, and The Balvenie Caribbean Cask to it's right.
Bit of a Balvenie fan? :popeyes:

Would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Caribbean Cask. My scotch/cigar buddies and I have nearly polished off a bottle of it ourselves.

PSI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a Balvenie fan? :popeyes:

Would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Caribbean Cask. My scotch/cigar buddies and I have nearly polished off a bottle of it ourselves.
Yes, I likes me The Balvenie.

The Caribbean Cask isn't quite as smooth and rich as the RumCask. The RumCask is also a little sweeter with more fruit.

But the Caribbean is significantly less expensive and easier to find.

Bsneed51

Lock and Load
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bsneed51,

I just noticed you're in KCMO. Where 'bouts? I grew up in the Westport/Plaza area.
I'm in the Liberty area.

I thought the Carribean Cask seemed to pick up more of the alcohol part of the rum, and less of the sweetness. The best rum cask Scotch I've had is the Glennfiddich 21 Gran Reserva. It's fairly pricey, but very, very good.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I'm in the Liberty area.

I thought the Carribean Cask seemed to pick up more of the alcohol part of the rum, and less of the sweetness. The best rum cask Scotch I've had is the Glennfiddich 21 Gran Reserva. It's fairly pricey, but very, very good.
x1billion! incredible single malt with a great rum finish... although I have yet to lay my hands on the Balvenie 14 RumCask that was only released in Europe sometime around 6 years ago.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
After reading the WS article about how epic the 2008 Oregon Pinot Noir season was, I decided to make a less-expensive foray into the releases and give it a try. Will soon be opening a bottle of Argyle Reserve from 2008:

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
After reading the WS article about how epic the 2008 Oregon Pinot Noir season was, I decided to make a less-expensive foray into the releases and give it a try. Will soon be opening a bottle of Argyle Reserve from 2008:
Quick follow up on this... very interesting wine. I don't drink Pinot very often, so I'm not sure really how this should stack up, but I would describe as a blend between a Cotes du Rhone and a fruity full bodied California Cab.

The underpinning quality was earthy and a slight bit drying... but the higher notes of flavor were the fruit, big orchard fruits and dark berries, along with notes of red licorice.

It was a pretty enjoyable wine.

PSI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x1billion! incredible single malt with a great rum finish... although I have yet to lay my hands on the Balvenie 14 RumCask that was only released in Europe sometime around 6 years ago.
The one I have is the RumCask 17. Haven't had the 14.

PSI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to try the RumWood.

If you want smoooooooth find a bottle of the 21 year old PortWood.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I've never had a rum-finish Scotch before, but I'm been getting into rum lately so that sounds like something I have to try!

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I'd love to try the RumWood.

If you want smoooooooth find a bottle of the 21 year old PortWood.
I'd love to try it too... I have the Cuban Selection but not the other three... only ones outside of the Vintages and some of the special single cask releases I don't have.

Everyone loves the 21 Portwood... I'm not a huge port fan though. I've got 3 or 4 bottles tucked away (2 in the tubes!), but I'm not sure when I'll actually open them. We'll have to see if my tastes change.

I've never had a rum-finish Scotch before, but I'm been getting into rum lately so that sounds like something I have to try!
Indeed! I can't remember if it was PSI or someone else above, but the Glenfiddich 21 is excellent, and so is the Balvenie 17 RumWood if you can find it!