What's new

Sibling Rivalry: Padilla Dominus Corona Gorda

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Padilla Dominus
Corojo Puro
Corona Gorda (5 ¾ X 46)

Appearance – The Dominus is wrapped in a rich chocolate brown wrapper. The veins are so small, they’re almost nonexistent. The cigar is firm, packed well with just the right amount of give. It’s topped with a lovely triple cap.

Prelight – From the foot, I get chocolate, fresh-cut hay, and rich tobacco. It smells so damn good, I almost want to chew it. Instead, I give it a quick punch so I can indulge in a few good cold draws. The draw doesn’t let me down. I am gifted with yet another tease of my senses…More chocolate, hay, and richer tobacco. This is too tempting....Time to hit it with the heat!

Light – The first draw opens up with creamy chocolate, coffee, rich tobacco, cedar, some very mild pepper, and a little dried fruit. From the start, it’s dang tasty, and the flavors are very well balanced.

First Quarter – The pepper is building momentum. It kind of feels like one of those, “I’m the juggernaut, bitch!” moments is about to take place. It doesn’t happen just yet though. Instead the smoke remains rich, creamy, and voluminous. The finish is an ample measure of coffee. Its ash is a tinted grey with black marbling. It’s a little flaky, but that isn’t taking anything away from the flavor. That dried fruit I tasted in the beginning has turned into somewhat of a blend of dried dates and raisins. That combined with the chocolate and coffee makes one interesting mix of flavors. Approaching the end of the first quarter, the cigar has started to run, so I give it a quick touch.

Second Quarter – Cedar has begun to dominate the other flavors which have begun shifting. The date/raisin combo has transitioned into something like a dry cherry wine. That juggernaut moment never came with the pepper. Instead it weakened in strength. To be clear, the flavor is still there, but the heat has dissipated. On the other hand, the coffee and tobacco have both grown richer and some leather has joined the squad as well.

Third Quarter – The cigar needed another touch at this point. The rich and creamy smoke is offering up flavors of coffee, leather, cedar, and tobacco. The cherry wine has all but faded away. Around this time, I stand up to take a pic and am quickly reminded of something….they don’t call it the Dominus for nothing! I’ve got myself an incredible buzz.

Nub – The smoke remained rich and creamy to the finish. The final flavors were coffee, leather , and tobacco, along with a little salt.

Summary - This was a great cigar. A nice balance of flavors revealing themselves amongst the billowing clouds of creamy smoke. It had a few burn issues, but it definitely didn’t take away from the flavor. This is a great full-bodied cigar from the Padilla family! Well dudes, there you have it. The Padilla Dominus Corona Gorda. Thanks for reading! – TheMaduroKid

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Great review and those are some classy pictures.

I found the Dominus to be an amped up Padilla Miami. Similar flavors, but with more strength. Definitely a good cigar.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Very nice review and pic's (the b/w's really look sharp) my friend, thanks for sharing your total experience! :thumbsup:

I do believe I owe your brother a big "thanks" for my first Dominus experience!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful review and your pics look professional...i have to smoke this stick now !

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Have a handful of the Robustos in the humi. May have to visit one of them tonight.

Thanks for the review, and the amazing photos!

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I bought a ten pack of these and like them but I loved the Churchill that I had. I'm thinking the CG's will age well but they are rougher than the Churchill. Took the Churchill down to a 1/2" nub and it was smooth all the way and was not as powerfull as the CG's.