Sibling Rivalry: Viaje Summerfest Robusto

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brand: Viaje
Name: Summerfest
Vitola: Robusto
Origin: Nicaraguan
Wrapper: Café Rosado

Appearance -The Summerfest is covered with a beautiful chocolatey pecany reddish brown wrapper. It’s a lil’ toothy, but not too much. The wrapper is moist, but not oily. To the touch, the cigar is firm with no soft spots. A quick whiff of the foot and my senses are greeted with sweet fresh cut hay, sugar, cedar, and tobacco. At the end of the stick rests a nice triple cap…heck it almost looks quadruple.

Prelight - The prelight draw tastes of mild roasted chile pepper, sweet cedar, and tobacco. The draw is not too loose and not too tight. If baby bear smoked cigars, this would be his stoagie, ‘cause it’s definitely just right.

Light- The cigar starts off with a well-balanced blend of cedar, tobacco, that same mild pepper from the prelight, and a small combination I can’t yet decipher. A couple pulls in and I think that combo is a hint of vanilla, cocoa, and chile. My spidey sense also detects a lil fruit creeping behind the plumes.

1/3 - I’ll tell ya one thing that ain’t hiding… the sugar. This stoagie is sweeter than a Georgia peach! I think the guys over at the viaje factory have messed around and made a plant that’s half tobacco half sugar cane. By the end of the first quarter, I find myself wishing some of the sugar would go ahead and burn off. The flavors at this point are as follows, sugar, cedar, SUGAR, fruit and tobacco. Ash is smoky grey with black marbling and a lil’ flaking. The cigar is burning pretty evenly though.
*I paired this cigar with an Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager. I don’t necessarily consider this a bad choice, but I do think it’d go a lil’ better with some good rum…YAAAR! Anyways, strawberry beer isn’t what I’d usually reach for, but I figured I’d try something different… considering the heat index being in the high 90s as I write this. The beer is clean, crisp, and well-balanced with a pleasant strawberry essence on the finish. The strawberry isn’t overpowering at all, something I was afraid of. Great beer for hot summer day.
Okay, back to the stoagie…

2/3 - Thankfully, the sugar, which has been holding me hostage has decided to step outside for a smoke break and I’m starting to enjoy this cigar a lot more. As soon as it’s gone some roasted coffee, leather, richer tobacco and pepper come crashing through the door like a smoking hot leatherclad Colombian swimsuit model/ vigilante armed with a leather whip and a box of cigars to save the day. Things are definitely looking brighter.

Halfway point - The sugar has returned, but it’s been tamed and nicely toasted. It’s still keeping the company of cedar, leather, tobacco, coffee, and pepper; but all the flavors have gotten richer, and the smoke creamier.

Last quarter – The sugar burned off leaving cedar, leather and tobacco in its wake. The smoke has gotten richer and creamier still, and it some roasted peanuts on the finish.

I enjoyed this cigar more in the final half than anything else. The sugar was a bit much for my taste buds in the beginning. With a lil’ less sugar, and I might’ve fallen head over heels for the summerfest. It had a nice burn and a nice array of flavors for the most part. I do think it will attain that greatness with a few years of age. I’m looking forward to revisiting this stick. Thanks for reading! - TheMaduroKid

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Nice Review!

Smoking one as I write this with my morning coffee. I drink my coffee black so I think the sugary flavors are pairing well. I hardly taste them, it really just gives my coffee a sweeter kind of flavor. This is a great little stick, different in many ways from the shaggy torpedo.. I agree aging will do this stick wonders, question is will any be around in 1-2 years? I know mine will be gone :grin:

~G

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
This is a great stick IMO....and one of my favorite Viajes. Never smoked the Shaggy Torp, and wasn't interested simply due to it's size and "the shag"....but the Robustos I thought were pretty awesome, and I think they'll age VERY nicely.

Last edited: