What's new

Sig 938

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Well, I've handled and fired one, but like my P238 380acp much better. This gun is built on a 1911 frame and is 9mm based. It's a great gun, made by a great company, it is at a better price point than the Springfield Armory 1911 EMP 9mm, which has a high price point. Kimber also makes a 1911 frame 9mm. But both the Kimber and the SA are not cheap. But, for me, my life is worth more and am willing to pay more money for a gun the I will use to protect myself, my family and others.

Personally I love the 1911 frame style and had to retire before I could carry one. But, I've trained on them for years and it was an easy switchover. I still carry other stuff too, but prefer my Kimber Ultra Covert II, my Springfield armory EMP, my Sig P220 or my Sig P238. I'm even thinking about getting a Glock 380 just because lol.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
As long as you're well-versed (trained) in shooting a 1911 / SAO, it will serve you well for concealed carry. Safety, as always, is paramount. Practice, practice, practice! ;)

As for Sig...you can't go wrong. I've always been amazed by the quality, reliability and shootability of the their products. Looking back (almost twenty years now) on my LEO experience, the Sigs were always vastly superior to shoot over my department-issued S&W .45 (not to mention much lighter!) (y)

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I have owned both and have since sold off the 938. I preferred the size and compactness of the 238. If you haven't done so buy the 7 round mag for the 238 it is a game changer for this gun. I love it.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I've shot one. Shoots great! A very nice cc pistol. My dad's waiting for our local to get more in and he's buying one to replace his old bersa 380 he's had for years.

For the money I would buy a Keltec and use the extra money for ammo but that's because I'm cheap! Lol

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I own one and carry when I don't feel like putting on an IWB. It drops in my pocket (in a pocket holster) with ease and looks no different than a wallet or cell phone as far as printing. It's also dead nuts accurate and a soft shooter.

I tried a lot of pocket pistols (LCP, LC9, LCR, j frames, p238, etc) and this was my favorite by a lot and 8 rounds of 9mm +P should be plenty for anything I'm likely to encounter.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Why is that?
Objectively: they charge a premium for a mediocre product and have notable quality control issues.
Subjectively: when a person who gets their guns for free publicly states they're not good, that tells me a lot about the company beyond their tangible products.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I've liked some of the Sigs I've shot throughout the years (haven't tried any current production), but a good friend of mine had a 938. He had to get rid of it, the thing double fed like a Hi-Point.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Wow, I'm really surprised at the varying thoughts on this firearm. I love my 238 but I question the power a .380 carrys, it's gonna be tough not packing my .45 but that full size 1911 is just getting to be too much. I want to stick with the 1911 since the trigger pull is so much shorter than the striker fired pistols, which is just don't care for but I thought this sig would make a great replacement. Since Obama signed the latest executive orders a couple weeks ago you can't find any pistol around here anywhere.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Wow, I'm really surprised at the varying thoughts on this firearm. I love my 238 but I question the power a .380 carrys, it's gonna be tough not packing my .45 but that full size 1911 is just getting to be too much. I want to stick with the 1911 since the trigger pull is so much shorter than the striker fired pistols, which is just don't care for but I thought this sig would make a great replacement. Since Obama signed the latest executive orders a couple weeks ago you can't find any pistol around here anywhere.
I used to worry the same about my 380 but I finally figured if some one takes two shots of hydroshock there going to feel it!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I used to worry the same about my 380 but I finally figured if some one takes two shots of hydroshock there going to feel it!
I think it's one of my OCD things, but.... I saw a couple surveillance vids where guys were hit by a .380 and it barely phased them, they still ran away. I think that's what made me start to question it and caused me to start carrying the .45. But a 9 doesn't bug me near as much. They carry a lot more energy over the .380

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I think it's one of my OCD things, but.... I saw a couple surveillance vids where guys were hit by a .380 and it barely phased them, they still ran away. I think that's what made me start to question it and caused me to start carrying the .45. But a 9 doesn't bug me near as much. They carry a lot more energy over the .380
Multiple times over I've heard shot placement plays a far paramount role to caliber in relation to round effectiveness.
I couldn't find the reference material I was looking for, but this was something similar that popped up on a quick online search:
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
Same end result as what I was seeking, though. Essentially, a poorly placed round from your .50 is just as worthless as a poorly placed shot from a .22. The opposite also being true for well placed shots.
Really, it comes down to having a weapon on you at all times, and knowing how to use it. Worry more about the training than the ft/lbs or fractions of inches.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah that's why I picked up some hydro shock... idk u would have to be pretty messed up on some pretty good stuff to take a couple taps and not be phased... but it does happen

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Multiple times over I've heard shot placement plays a far paramount role to caliber in relation to round effectiveness.
I couldn't find the reference material I was looking for, but this was something similar that popped up on a quick online search:
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
Same end result as what I was seeking, though. Essentially, a poorly placed round from your .50 is just as worthless as a poorly placed shot from a .22. The opposite also being true for well placed shots.
Really, it comes down to having a weapon on you at all times, and knowing how to use it. Worry more about the training than the ft/lbs or fractions of inches.
Agreed to a point but the question becomes do you want the threat to be neutralized before it gets to you or after it gets to you. I would think same shot placement, same distance a .45ACP packing a lot more kinetic energy than a .22LR will neutralize a threat much quicker ergo Knockdown Power.

Take deer hunting. I've seen the same shot placement from a .243 and a 12 gauge slug. Both deer died, one dropped in its tracks the other 100 yards down the trail.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I own one and carry when I don't feel like putting on an IWB. It drops in my pocket (in a pocket holster) with ease and looks no different than a wallet or cell phone as far as printing. It's also dead nuts accurate and a soft shooter.

I tried a lot of pocket pistols (LCP, LC9, LCR, j frames, p238, etc) and this was my favorite by a lot and 8 rounds of 9mm +P should be plenty for anything I'm likely to encounter.
I love 1911s, but personally wouldn't want one as a pocket gun. I don't even like an exposed hammer for a pocket gun, much less cocked and locked. Dirt and pocket lint, drawing, loose fitting pocket holsters... not for me.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I love 1911s, but personally wouldn't want one as a pocket gun. I don't even like an exposed hammer for a pocket gun, much less cocked and locked. Dirt and pocket lint, drawing, loose fitting pocket holsters... not for me.
Certainly a fair opinion. I'm not worried about it however as

1) I always use a pocket holster
2) nothing else goes in that pocket or the little pocket above it (watch pocket)
3) the safety actually takes a fair bit of pressing to flick off

But, I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone who doesn't want to carry it in a pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Oh it won't be used as a pocket carry, I have other plans for that so the 1911 is a great choice for me. I love the trigger with the 1911 far better than striker fired.

Edit, I talked to the gun shop, still no pistols available, salesman of the year, Obama, did it again.