What's new

Sign of the times?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
So, a comment by Greg in Donk's Maduro Hemingway thread in the trading Zone just made me think of this.

Recently, a lot of us former die hard Cuban cigar smokers sure have been posting a lot about non-cubans we have smoked or are expressing a LOT more interest in non-cubans then maybe even four months ago.

For a long time every NC I smoked tasted like ash and metal...lately I have been able to find some surprisingly enjoyable smokes without those traits.

Personally I started trying them again because I, along with the wife, have been thinking about eventually opening a B&M here in Fremont. Rachel suggested I should start to reacquaint myself with the cigars I would be selling if we ever did open a store.

Lately the reason has become two fold...trying to refamiliarize myself with NCs as well as preparing myself for what may come in the future, letters, price increases (30% over the next few years is being reported from Cuba), the embargo potentially ending, etc.

How about you guys that have started to smoke more NCs lately? What are your reasons?

I know some of you always have mixed in NCs with your Cubans so this is directed more towards the former Cuban "snobs" but you guys that have always been equal oppurtunity smokers should feel free to chime in as well.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have always liked some NC's but have reopened my efforts to try new ones. Tried the Olivas S series natural and found it to be an excellent cigar just this week. JW Intosh sent me and aged Unica that was suprisingly good. Last but not least, really back into the CAO's. The cameroon in particular has caught my fancy.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well, you know me. I've always had and still have a fondness for N/C. I love a lot of them, and probably always will...smoking more now? Probably and it's due to price and ease of obtaining them. I don't put up with one tasting metallic. I usually find that to be some that need to rest.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I have always liked some NC's but have reopened my efforts to try new ones. Tried the Olivas S series natural and found it to be an excellent cigar just this week. JW Intosh sent me and aged Unica that was suprisingly good. Last but not least, really back into the CAO's. The cameroon in particular has caught my fancy.

Do you feel like there is any central reason for the renewed effort?

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I think that the whole Cuban cigar trip is pretty much only existant because of these online forums. Granted, there are Cuban cigar websites and out-of-country LCdHs, but without the collective effort/knowledge on these forums most of us would get discouraged by crappy fakes and/or inflated prices. Once we get going on Cuban cigars, we don't really stop until we've exhausted either our curiosity or finances or whatever. During this time we might ignore most or all of the non-cuban cigars. When we do smoke, it might be when picking up cigars from the B&M. Being used to buying and smoking aged (read: two or more years old) habanos, we might be turned off by a fresh, foul-tasting non-cuban cigar. It probalby isn't fair to compare an aged habano to a fresh non-cuban. I would not expect awesome results from a Cuban cigar rolled a month ago.

Recently I have been noticing aged sticks for sale (one- or two- or three- or four-year-old Anejos, Opus, PAM, VSG, etc.) and rave reviews from these sticks. I think that because of the common metallic taste of fresh NCs, a lot of us have diverted our efforts to Cuban cigars. Due to letters, price increases, difficulties/inflated prices when acquiring less than a full box of habanos, and the "rise" of aged NCs a lot of us are now turning our heads and paying more attention to NCs. There really are a whole bunch of extremely good NCs out there, and many get overlooked by Cuban "snobs" partly because they require more/any resting time in our humis. I also think there's a whole different mentality regarding price when buying Cubans vs. non-cubans. I for instance would gawk at paying $275 for a cab of NCs, but wouldn't think twice about paying the same for a box of ELs or other habanos.

I think that the cigar boards, aging differences, allure/hype of habanos, and different mind sets all contribute to the spending of more time/money on CCs. The popping-up of aged smokes and the recent non-cuban brands like Tatuajes/Pepin Garcias coming into play are really starting to gain some ground against habanos smokers because they're much easier to obtain and are more economical.
I'm not a cuban snob by any means, and I'm sure I'm off by a lot on most of this stuff, but this is how I guess I view the Cuban cigar trend now that I think about it. I don't really have any evidence to back a lot of this up, it's just kinda what I think. I definitely do enjoy habanos, though, and really would buy a ton of them if I could afford, but I also love the flavor profiles of NCs and smoke both about equally.
I don't mean to be rude towards anybody here, and I'm not accusing anyone of doing any of these things, I'm just stating what I think could be going on.
Sorry for the long-ass post, I'm writing essays and this shit just kinda flows.

$0.02

TYLER

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It was a money issue for me. I was into Hemingways, PAMs, Opus, etc. and it became too costly. I could get the same enjoyment out of a PC from any marquee. I haven't really went gung-ho back into n/c's yet.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I waver back and forth, and yes money is an issue, I dont know.. I think that after some time we get to the point where we "preach" smoke what you like and try new things, when we have been the ones not trying to expand our taste base.. if that makes sense..

but i think something that i know is going to hurt me is that i stopped with the N/Cs for about 2-3 years, but left most in my humi so I know that they have nice age on them now... so when i smoke em they should be primed unlike the new ones

just random thoughts...

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well Todd, nice post. I think if you remember some of the lengthy (3-4 pages, plus) threads I started on cuban vs non cuban attitudes we all know that I agree with some of the above statements. I never understood the attitudes of wanting to age cubans 10+ years to get prime smoking experiences, yet smoking Toranos fresh off the truck.

But I digress, no use going into old conversations. I'm glad to see that the n/c's are getting a second chance. I think there are great cigars from all regions...with different tastes and different qualities. Like I've said before I enjoy Cuban tobacco and Nicaraguan tobacco (generally), but I hate Honduran. I am so-so on Dominican tobacco, but these are just general statements. I think with the combination of letters going out and n/c's getting better and better the scale is starting to balance out a little bit. Cubans have always had a head start simply because of the lengthy history of that country and cigar making. The non-cuban industry is still infantile for the most part when you directly compare the two.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I smoke NC's so I can reacquaint myself with how good cc's are :stickbeat
Just kidding. But honestly, I don't smoke many mainstream NC's, hardly at all. I like to try something different once in a while like a custom rolled nc or a hard to get vitola like the sand shark. I cut my teeth in the mid 90's with NC's. But the minute I tried a CC, that was it. There was nothing else like it and the complexity and taste But in my humble opinion, there's nothing better than a CC for my personal tastes.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Nice thread Todd! I plan on following this thread and hope more chime in with the vast experiance and share their thoughts.

Excellent post Tyler and I agree with a vast majority of what you speak. I think I turned the cheek too fast to limit what I would try. So many choices, so many manufacturers to choose from made things too confusing for me. Foul aftertaste numerous times and the high costs of higher end sticks were other factors as well. I remember Jasons discussion on this very thing and plan on searching for it now as well.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
It was a money issue for me. I was into Hemingways, PAMs, Opus, etc. and it became too costly. I could get the same enjoyment out of a PC from any marquee. I haven't really went gung-ho back into n/c's yet.
This was a huge issue for me as well. Worse, of the cigars that I really liked; Hemingway and PAM's, I could never find them in box quantities. I got tired of every vendor selling 5-cigar samplers. For the price of two or three samplers I could get a box of aged "good stuff". The artificial supply restrictions moved me steadily away from my favorite NC's and I see no change in direction at this point. Until the premium NC smokes are as readily available and sold at a decent price point, I have no interest. The fact of the matter is that it is far easier to get high quality CC's than it is to get a box of Hemingway Signature Maduros or Padron Anniversario 1964 Principes. . .:frown:

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I smoke NC's so I can reacquaint myself with how good cc's are :stickbeat
Just kidding. But honestly, I don't smoke many mainstream NC's, hardly at all. I like to try something different once in a while like a custom rolled nc or a hard to get vitola like the sand shark. I cut my teeth in the mid 90's with NC's. But the minute I tried a CC, that was it. There was nothing else like it and the complexity and taste But in my humble opinion, there's nothing better than a CC for my personal tastes.
This is my sentiment also. Price is not really an issue as I am a complusive spender and buy what I WANT not what I can afford. I am finding myself now reading and looking for advice on NC's I MAY enjoy, for obvious reasons. I do know I like the Fuente Don Carlos cigars. I guess I will be wanting to try some NC's now and see if it works!

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i knew very little about cc's before this board! i still thoroughly enjoy my nc's, and continue to get introduced to new (to me) brands: tat, pepin, la aurora, padilla.... and, there's the oldies but goodies: hemmingway maduro, DC Maximus, Opus, PAM 64.... had a nicely aged chateau maduro last night! great smoke!!

jeff

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Nice post Tyler.

The funny thing for me is I am actually enjoying the NCs I am trying now, which are cigars I never tried before I started smoking Cubans.

Granted, NONE of the NCs I have tried have come anywhere close to being as enjoyable as an average Cuban of the same price or even less. But they are much better then I most of the NCs I had been smoking before I got bit by the Cuban bug.

It's weird.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe my mouth and palette have become a little fried over the past few years and because of that the ashy taste I used to get is no longer detectable. :dunno: :rofl:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, I'll be the odd man out. I don't buy CC's 'cause of the legal issues. I can't afford to have my name on any government list of law violators of any kind. HOWEVER, I would not buy CC's even if they were legal. I simply have never had a CC that I have liked as much as my favorite NC's. OK, I guess if Monthy #2's or SLR PC's cost $3 a stick and were legal, I would probably buy them, but we all know we don't have to worry about that happening.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I think Burger King tastes better than McDonalds...but I still enjoy McDonalds.

I think Quiznos tastes better than Subway...but I still enjoy Subway.

I think Taco Bueno tastes better than Taco Bell...but I still enjoy Taco Bell.

I think Dr Pepper tastes better than Coke...but I still enjoy Coke.

Same thing with CCs and NCs.

frankluke

Pipe Snob
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i still enjoy a NC now and then for a change of pace .. i can't find a bettor and cheaper NC, so thats why i choose habanos, not cause its cool or hey look at me i got a cuban cigar. basically, for me it all comes down to how the cigar tastes, if macunodo made a cigar that tasted like partagas, then i'd smoke those.