What's new

Since Aristocrat Is No Longer an Option.....

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Absolutely, it's the best humidification system out there. Completely automated and accurate. Just change the sponge every so often before they get gross. I just buy humidifier wicks large enough to cut up to the right size. I also have a large Heartfelt bead container in the bottom of the cabinet to keep the humidity even down there. I don't wet it btw.
Would you love to shoot me a link to the material??

Thanks!

And I was wondering if I should put my extra bovedas in there, so we will see. Loaded it up last night. Need to get a sensor push hygrometer so I don't need to open it to check.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hey all. Quick question. After like 3-4 weeks my wicks already had mold starting. Any thoughts as to how to keep that from happening? Do you even use wicks? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Hey all. Quick question. After like 3-4 weeks my wicks already had mold starting. Any thoughts as to how to keep that from happening? Do you even use wicks? Thanks!

I thoroughly disinfect my water reservoirs when I change the wicks. Wicks last over a year without mold if I make sure the system is contamination free.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I thoroughly disinfect my water reservoirs when I change the wicks. Wicks last over a year without mold if I make sure the system is contamination free.
I suppose I might not have done this initially. Luckily it didn't seem to be too far gone so I think everything should be OK. I hammered them with scalding hot water after. Then rinsed with distilled water. The containers that is. Currently they are in the humidor without wicks.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I suppose I might not have done this initially. Luckily it didn't seem to be too far gone so I think everything should be OK. I hammered them with scalding hot water after. Then rinsed with distilled water. The containers that is. Currently they are in the humidor without wicks.

If it happens again, and if your reservoirs are made of plastic, you can use a diluted bleach solution. Just be sure to rinse them thoroughly, then rinse them again, and finally rinse them again. And dry them completely.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
If it happens again, and if your reservoirs are made of plastic, you can use a diluted bleach solution. Just be sure to rinse them thoroughly, then rinse them again, and finally rinse them again. And dry them completely.
I've heard some people add a bit of Propelyne Glycol?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little late to this thread, but I know Pendergast is back in business. I got one second hand a couple years ago and it works great. Their website doesn't have too much info yet, but you can email or call them.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
A little late to this thread, but I know Pendergast is back in business. I got one second hand a couple years ago and it works great. Their website doesn't have too much info yet, but you can email or call them.
+1, I’ve seen some social media movement from them in the last few months (very little product news) but I have had a Pendergast for a few years and it’s one of my favorite cabinets

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My first post in this thread was before buying the Whynter 251S......my wife bought me one this last June for my B'Day and while I was a bit leery of setting it up because I have done a ton of research and read accounts of good/bad but since she actually bought me something that is geared towards cigars I'm not gonna miss this opportunity to seize the day. I followed the instructions to the letter.....and then some. Took my time with seasoning the cedar....wiping things down....blah blah blah.....and after 3 weeks or prep total time this thing is a Cadillac. The temp is on 66 degrees and the RH is 65-67% and it's filled at least 90%....doesn't matter if it's half or fully filled....the numbers are rock solid.

Fast forward another month and I found the same unit through Amazon and bought 3 more.....they were selling for $220 including taxes.....since my wife bought the first one through Home Depot I was able to get a discount from that purchase down to the ones I bought thru Amazon....that's less than $900 for 4 units and every single one works like a Swiss watch....I walk by and the numbers are always where they need to be.

Im convinced that some issues with these units are 'Pilot Error' because of the haste of getting it up and running and wanting to use them. Like anything there is a learning curve and good operational set-up and patience....once you do it right then the cooler works like a charm. Of course inspections are priority....check the seals...check the fan...check everything and turn it on without any cigars inside for a few days and check the numbers to ensure it works and put some DW inside....that will account for RH so don't be concerned what it will be but it will no doubt be in that acceptable area.....this is just to see that everything about the unit is working. After a week then you should have seasoned the cedar, cleaned the inside, blah blah blah and it's now time to put in your cigars and let them acclimate to their new home....mine took only a week and the numbers ....as I told you.....are what they are and this is 3 months later with barely a change in numbers. Most days I don't even need to turn it on and the RH is still 65% because my house stays in the 74 degree zone so turning the unit on doesn't make things any better.

I have 2 wood humidors that I bought a decade ago that cost more than my 4 Whynters so when I say that Whynters are well worth the money....you better believe it!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any passive with the active? I'm obviously committed at this point but just curious!

Sorry, not sure if this is still something you wanted to know since I missed this post. Yes, I use a bunch of Boveda bags and some heartfelt beads too to kind of smooth things out.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk