What's new

Sipping Liquor/Spirits Straight

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
What I found worked for me was to start with smoother liqours to drink straight such as a 20+ year rum. Even with only a couple of ice cubes it goes down without a burn. Then I would work your way up into canadian whiskeys then to bourbons. Drinking straight liquor is definitely something your body and palate gets used to and you will get less and less of a burn each time you drink it.
Geez 20y/o rum is up there in price! He wants to taste and not go broke too! :rofl: I find that good rum is usually in the $25-$35 price range anyway :dunno: Still pricey, IMO. :bottle:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
What I found worked for me was to start with smoother liqours to drink straight such as a 20+ year rum. Even with only a couple of ice cubes it goes down without a burn. Then I would work your way up into canadian whiskeys then to bourbons. Drinking straight liquor is definitely something your body and palate gets used to and you will get less and less of a burn each time you drink it.
I know it's not 20+ years but I have some Bacardi Ron 8 Anos and some Crown Royal on hand...would that work?

dre

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's not 20+ years but I have some Bacardi Ron 8 Anos and some Crown Royal on hand...would that work?
yup, the bacardi isnt worth drinkin. the Crown isnt bad, suprisingly complex for a canadian wiskey and the price aint bad either. I would sugest that over the rum.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Upon further review of the Bacardi you mentioned I'll have to say that is some nasty stuff :cryloud: I bought a bottle just for mixing with Diet Coke and it just wasn't to my liking.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, and that's funny, that is the stuff I started drinking straight on the rocks! The 20 year old rum I have, ron zacapta is 35 a bottle, compared to the 80 dollars for a fine bourbon. The 8 year old bacardi is very smooth, just not as sweet as the ron zacapta which actually makes it better to have with a cigar IMHO. Put a lot of ice in it the first time around and you will notice that each time you decide to drink it, you will require less ice. Good luck and enjoy!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, the bacardi isnt worth drinkin. the Crown isnt bad, suprisingly complex for a canadian wiskey and the price aint bad either. I would sugest that over the rum.
It is hard to find, but the best canadian whiskey for the money is Wiser's very old 18year can whiskey, you can find it from 25-30 a bottle depending on where you live. My friend just brought me a bottle from Atlanta GA that he found for 23 dollars. This stuff puts crown special reserve to shame at a third of the price. You have to try it to believe it! There is no justification for buying a bottle of normal crown at 20-25 dollars if you have this stuff at your liqour store. Don't go buying a bunch of it, I dont want them to raise the price! lol

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I almost picked up a bottle of green label tonight for under 20, small bottle. I didn't though....

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
With all due respect to the people that stated the only way to drink scotch is straight, as someone else stated here, many people find that adding a bit, or a wee dram, of water helps to open up the bouquet of the scotch. There is actually a chemical reaction that takes place when water is added. I prefer to add a few cubes of ice and let it melt for awhile. I like my drink cold, and the water from the melted ice brings out the flavor.

I'm suprised few people have mentioned rum as a good sipping alternative. Ron Zacapa, mmmmmmmmm!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect to the people that stated the only way to drink scotch is straight, as someone else stated here, many people find that adding a bit, or a wee dram, of water helps to open up the bouquet of the scotch. There is actually a chemical reaction that takes place when water is added. I prefer to add a few cubes of ice and let it melt for awhile. I like my drink cold, and the water from the melted ice brings out the flavor.

I'm suprised few people have mentioned rum as a good sipping alternative. Ron Zacapa, mmmmmmmmm!
Tubaman, that is the same rum I drink all of the time, hard to go wrong with it

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Tubadude, you are right again...I didn't think of steering him to my favorite rum. I like Meyers Dark with a couple of ice cubes...goes well with almost any smoke.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I guess I'm gonna have to try the straight rum deal. I've only ever really done rum and coke. Just don't think the taste of straight rum and I get along all that well.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I was going to do just that.

To me rum is an ideal sipping liquor for cigars. It's made from sugar cane (in one form or another), which will both keep the nicotine flurries down and add some nice flavors to the smoke. I prefer the dark rums for straight up sipping - leaving the light ones for mixed drinks. Ron Zacapa, Zaya, Havana Club 7 and Appleton are all excellent candidates ... although Meyers and even Captain Morgan are fine.

Scotch is definately an acquired taste ... especially the more peaty blends. To explore here, try some of the lighter single malts like The Glenlivet or Macallan.

I really don't put anything in with the liquor, but some prefer a few drops of water or an ice cube. Experiment around and see what works for you. You might want to stick to buying the single serving (airline bottles) until you find something you like.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
You guys, how about steering Todd to the good stuff - Laphroaig! :thumbsup:

Just kidding, Todd. :grin: These guys all gave you some good advice.

Laphroaig is one of the Islay malts; very, very strong and peaty. It is truly a love it or hate it scotch and DEFINITELY an acquired taste.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0

Laphroaig is one of the Islay malts; very, very strong and peaty. It is truly a love it or hate it scotch and DEFINITELY an acquired taste.
Ooooh, Laphroaig, one of my favorites. I like the 'cask strength'. :thumbsup:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hmmm...don't think I've tried the Laphroaig, but don't think I'm really big on the strong peaty flavor just yet.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
JW ... to save some money, just pick up a bottle of iodine at your local drugstore. The flavor is very close to Laphroaig.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I guess I'm gonna have to try the straight rum deal. I've only ever really done rum and coke. Just don't think the taste of straight rum and I get along all that well.
I love straight rum! Barbancourt, Zaya, Appleton, Pyrat XO. Yum Yum!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0

Lagavulin is another very smokey, peatey single malt.