What's new

'Slicing' the cap

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
More and more I find myself not clipping the cap of cigars anymore, I simply grab my knife(I carry a very thin long folding 'sausage knife' also called a 'fruit testing knife') and quickly make a very shallow incision all the way around the cap, so the cap just falls off and I do not cut any filler. This does not work on torps(obviously) but it also does not work well on cigars that have what I call a deep cap, but I have found the draw to be better when I do not cut the filler, if you have not tried it give it a shot(use a thin bladed sharp knife or a razor blade), if you have do you find this method affects the draw?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hmmm...always knew this was an option, never have tried it. Not quite sure why it would affect the draw. I have plenty of knives :)eyebrow:) so I'll have to grab a sharp one and give it a try.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Very interesting technique. I'll have to give it a try. Although as i don't own the kind of "sausage knife" you decribe (mine is a different kind of sausage knife) i doubt i'll be carrying around a razor blade. But as they say in the marines...adapt and overcome.

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thanks Tegu,
It's huge to maintain the integrity of the cap and when you can do that, the whole smoking experience seems better. I'm not a knife guy myself so recently I have been using a V cutter and have been quite impressed with the draw and cap integrity.

thanks again,

Sam

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I've used this technique a number of times when I had cigars on hand but neglected to bring a cutter. I've use any sharp knife that is capable of doing the job. Easy day brothers!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Hmmm...always knew this was an option, never have tried it. Not quite sure why it would affect the draw. I have plenty of knives :)eyebrow:) so I'll have to grab a sharp one and give it a try.
I am not sure why it would affect the draw either...but now that I have been practising it reguarly for about a year, it seems that it makes a little bit of a difference, but it could just be my perception...