What's new

Smart Water with Heartfelt Beads/Standard Humi Sponge?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys:

Anyone here used Smart Water in your humi? I usually buy distilled jugs but this is all the store had. It's vapor distilled water plus electrolytes (calcium chloride, potassium bicarbonate, and magnesium chloride).

Thanks in advance!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Nope, I just use normal distilled water.

I imagine the "extras" could mess with the beads. I haven't done anything chemistry-related since high school though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks brother. That's where I leaned. And agreed on the chemistry rustiness. Ha.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I wouldn't do it because the salts could have a bearing on the longevity of the beads like mwlabel pointed out. Best to go to the next store and buy just straight distilled.

Sent from my mind using telekinesis and Tapatalk.

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you recharge your beads by putting a wet sponge into your humidor and letting the water evaporate and be absorbed by the beads (and wood and cigars), you can use any kind of water, including tap water, since only the H2O evaporates, leaving behind anything that was dissolved in it.

sponge-600wide.jpg

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If you recharge your beads by putting a wet sponge into your humidor and letting the water evaporate and be absorbed by the beads (and wood and cigars), you can use any kind of water, including tap water, since only the H2O evaporates, leaving behind anything that was dissolved in it.

View attachment 37723
I'm no expert at all, but couldn't the sponge then grow mold?

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert at all, but couldn't the sponge then grow mold?
Theoretically, yes, but in practice, it doesn't happen to me.

I don't leave the sponge wet indefinitely. I only use it to recharge, which can range from a few hours, for a small humidor, to a day or two, for a wineador. I take it out and let it dry when not in use. Once in a while, I sniff it, and if I smell anything unusual (which happens maybe once or twice a year), I wash it with soap.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use a plant sprayer on jet spray w/ distilled to rewater my heartfelts. 6 or 7 squirts / baggy every 3 months.