What's new

Smelly Beads

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
So I rearranged my cigars today to take advantage of the extra storage Frank graced me with. Beads needed a little refreshing and so I spritzed them with my spray bottle. Repackaged everything and put it away. Revisited a little while later to make sure everything was doing well and when I opened the Sterilite container I was greeted by an unusual fruity fragrance. Not my beloved tobacco smell :sadstare:. So I checked my desktop thinking it might be just the Sterilite...nope same fruity fragrance. Checked my water bottle and sure enough the distilled water has a fruity smell to it also. It's the same bottle I've been using from the beginning and never had any problems before. Little confused, worried, and needing some advice...:help:.

Dan

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My beads smell like the inside of my vino when I first got it. Kinda' strange, but doesn't effect my sticks. You should be fine!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
exactly what kind of beads are they? You may be using the wrong kind. If they look like this then you need to switch immeadiatly. But it would explain why they smell.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So it doesn't have an effect on the flavor of your cigars?

Dan
nope, not at all. All my cigars have tasted good since I've been using my Vino and beads.
exactly what kind of beads are they? You may be using the wrong kind. If they look like this then you need to switch immeadiatly. But it would explain why they smell.

LMAO :applause: :rofl:

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
:laugh: You caught me dprice...is that pic from your personal collection? :grinFU:

No they're regular Heartfelt Beads.

Dan

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My beads did the same thing. Exhibited a fruity, rose like bouqet. No one can explain why this is happening including the manufacturers. I PROMPTLY removed them from my humi so as not to contaminate the cigars since the odor is quite strong.

Try this and see if it helps.....take the beads and spread them out on a baking pan. Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees and palce the beads in there for 5min or so till they're dry. Wait til the beads come back to room temp and see whether they still smell. Moisten the beads and see whether they're still emitting that odor. if that doesn't work, pitch the beads! No sense taking an unecessary risk with your prized possessions.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Mine have a slight almost fruity tobacco smell to them. It's a bit off IMO, but hasn't seemed to affect my sticks. I'm probably eventually going to get around to just ordering a new pound or so of beads and call it a day.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
but why would his DISTILLED WATER in his spray bottle smell fruity? if the water is smelling, he is transferring that smell FROM the water TO the beads...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A little while back my beads had a very chemical-ish/amonia like smell so I called David from Heartfelt and he said that it's just the beads absorbing the amonia my cigars were releaseing and that the best way to clean out the beads was to thoroughly soak them and then let them sit out and dry completely. I did this, rehydrated them and it got rid of the smell. It's happened one other time since then to the stick in my tupperdor and I repeated the process to great success. The chemical smell didn't have an effect on my sticks either, fyi.
Even though you're getting a more floral smell maybe this process will work for you too?
Best of luck! :)

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Is there any chance someone got hold of your bottle and ran some other fluid through it? Maybe some apple juice for a BBQ spritz or something like that?

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Okay, okay... I admit it, Dan...

I didn't buy that container new; I had used it to store orange, apple, watermelon, and cantaloupe slices in the fridge. Sorry, man... didn't think you would notice...

:sadpace:

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Case closed, that sounds like the culprit. What you think Frank no harm done correct i seriously doubt the sticks would absorb the smell from the case unless it still had residue of some sort. I guess if possible get a big pot and sterilize it Dan, after that I would render it harmless.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked on them last night before I went to bed and the smell was still there and pretty disturbing so I pulled out the beads from both the desktop and the Sterilite. Going to take the wife's hair dryer to them today to dry them out. Also going to pick up a new spray bottle. Not sure what's going on, but I want my beloved tobacco smell back :cursing:. Anyway the sprayer I had been using was new and has been working fine for almost a year or so. Only thing I can figure is that somehow the water in the sprayer soured or absorbed something funky :dunno:. We'll see, I may have to order some new beads.

Dan

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked on them last night before I went to bed and the smell was still there and pretty disturbing so I pulled out the beads from both the desktop and the Sterilite. Going to take the wife's hair dryer to them today to dry them out. Also going to pick up a new spray bottle. Not sure what's going on, but I want my beloved tobacco smell back :cursing:. Anyway the sprayer I had been using was new and has been working fine for almost a year or so. Only thing I can figure is that somehow the water in the sprayer soured or absorbed something funky :dunno:. We'll see, I may have to order some new beads.

Dan
Could also be some type of mildew/mold growth in the bottle over a long period of time. Might want to wash out the spray bottle and once in a while let the spray bottle air dry completely.