What's new

Smelly Padron?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I recently bought a box of Padron panetela maduros. When I received them they smelled terrible. I then remembered that the only other Padron I had smoked had the same problem. Has anybody else experienced this? Will they get better with age? Has anybody else tried these and if so what are your thoughts?

Appreciate all comments.

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have not had a bad smelling Padron. What did they smell like? Might be that box, where did you get them?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Describe the smell - chemical like ammonia, something else? For Cuban cigars the smell of a box described as a barnyard smell - this is supposed to be very good.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Describe the smell - chemical like ammonia, something else? For Cuban cigars the smell of a box described as a barnyard smell - this is supposed to be very good.
:scratchhe I've never known someone to smell a box of cigars and say hmm smell like a barnyard those are the best quality sticks you can get in the market.. if this was so people would've found ingenious ways to incorporate hay in boxes for that barnyard smell... secondly Padron's are not cuban cigars.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
the smell might be due to improper storage.. if the cigars are not properly aired and stored in a cellar or basement with little fresh air they tend to smell.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I wouldn't judge these until you smoke one. Some terrible smelling sticks are fantastic when lit on fire! I love the cheapie Padrons, by the way.

Klusterbuck

Corrupted At An Early Age
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I once was gifted an RP 1990 that had the smell of a barely legal teen. I couldn't wait to light it up. What a dissappointment. I couldn't even finish the damn thing. I should have just kept it unlit forever to pull out ever so often and remember my youth.

Don't get me wrong this isn't an outright slam of RP's cigars. Just pointing out that you can't always judge a smoke, by how it smells pre-light.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some maduros take on a "barn yard" smell if stored to damp. Aging bulk tobacco has an acrid, ammonia, musty smell because of the same bacterial processes that occur in decaying feed lot material. I prefer to call it "earthy".

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
I have noticed before that my Padron boxes have always had a distinct "funk" to them. Although, a lot of my nicaraguan smokes have that smell when I open them fresh. The "funk" I am talking about is like a sweet stink, that now makes my mouth water. If it is a musty or a chemical smell, we are talking different smells.

I have also notice that the Padron boxes have a different shade of wood and smell differently than the regular cigar box (from another name). Possible made from a diffent wood than the regular cigar box? Maybe this could be what you are smelling that is different?

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Some maduros take on a "barn yard" smell if stored to damp. Aging bulk tobacco has an acrid, ammonia, musty smell because of the same bacterial processes that occur in decaying feed lot material. I prefer to call it "earthy".
We should call it the new "green" cigar...:nodlaugh: