What's new

Smoked a Butt

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Got up this morning @ 7AM. Soaked some hickory chunks, rubbed a 3.5 pound Boston Butt with kosher salt, course ground pepper, and garlic powder. Lit the charcoal in my kettle grill, put the butt on at 8AM. Maintained 220 to 250 until 1PM when the butt hit 180. Wrapped in foil and raised temp to 250. removed it from the grill at 2PM @ 195. Wrapped it in foil and put in a cooler.
3PM- MIL and SIL came over to give my son a birthday present, none for them.
5PM- left to coach my son's Basketball game. Lost again, but we got into double digits.
7:30- Finally- unwrapped the butt, picked it up and it just completely fell off the bone and apart :drool: :drool: :drool: ...That was awesome.

Best damn bbq I have ever made. Wife and I ate half- the rest for me for lunch tommorrow.

Panicbound

Dankster
Rating - 99.1%
201   1   0
There is nothing better than slow cooking meat. I really try to use alot of indirect heat and I have been smoking alot lately (not cigars...this time). A labor of love that pays off every time!:drool:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wrapped it in foil and put in a cooler.

Geckoheart, did you put it in an empty cooler to alow the internal temp. to continue to cook the meat or was this a chilled cooler?

I slow cook every weekend and have taught my sons how. We really look forward to it.
It's also the best way to cook chicken wings for that afternoon football game.:drool:
My son just enformed me the other day that he voluteered my brother and I to cook for the baseball team for after a game in a couple of weeks. Thats about 30 college mouths to feed. Thats going to be a challenge.

Zig

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wrapped it in foil and put in a cooler.

Geckoheart, did you put it in an empty cooler to alow the internal temp. to continue to cook the meat or was this a chilled cooler?

I slow cook every weekend and have taught my sons how. We really look forward to it.
It's also the best way to cook chicken wings for that afternoon football game.:drool:
My son just enformed me the other day that he voluteered my brother and I to cook for the baseball team for after a game in a couple of weeks. Thats about 30 college mouths to feed. Thats going to be a challenge.

Zig
Just put it in an empty cooler and packed around it with bath towels. By the time we ate it, the temp had dropped to about 160.

Cooked a couple of whole pigs last year, one for 60 and the other for about 45 people. Love cooking for groups like that. Trying to save enough money to buy my own cooker so I can do more of it.

Time to make a sandwhich