What's new

Smoking a turkey

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Ok that was going to be my question, how long do you guys brine your turkey for?

I personally have never brined anything, so any suggestions and advice on this would be great.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would make darn sure that the stuffing reached 180 deg. F. Personally I wouldn't risk it. I'd rather smoke the bird and save the drippings to make a rocking good gravy instead. Stopped stuffing birds after taking a few food service/handling courses.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
As promised. Brine recipe. This was soo good for Thanks Giving, that I was forced to do 4 birds for Christmas the exact same way.

Brined for 24 hrs in:
1 gal apple juice
2 cups table salt
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup pickling spice
6 T worchestershire sauce
1 cup honey
8 lbs ice

Bring the apple juice to a boil. Add the salt, sugar, pickling spice, and worchestershire. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Turn off the heat and add the honey. Stir to dissolve. Add 8 lbs. of ice and stir until ice is melted. Makes enough for 2 14 lb. birds.

Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse well, and pat dry. Return to the fridge on a wire rack over a pan to air dry for 1 hr. Season the bird, smoke at 275* for 15-20 mins/lb. until breast reaches 160-165* internal and thigh juices run clear when pierced with your temp probe.

If you make it, be ready for some pungent kick ass smell in your face. I mean, it smells great, but its strong. But adds a fantastic flavor. I will be doing this again this year for our birds. If anyone tries it, then let me know. I'd love to hear what ya'lls thoughts are on it.

-Chrisso

PS: I did pull this from a smoker site I frequent. And it's been reviewed there before. I imagine if you copy and paste any of that into a search, you'll find the site I'm referencing, and can see the additional reviews. It really is fantastic.

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Here's my recipe to the best of my recollection; its written down at home, which is where I am not at the moment...and i brine overnite and up to 24 hours then rinse well prior to smoking.

6-8 quarts warm water (enough to cover the turkey)
1 cup kosher salt
2 cups brown sugar
4 TBSP worchestershire
1 TBSP dried thyme
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP granulated garlic
1 TBSP onion powder
1 granny smith apple cut into 8 pieces
2 bay leaves
12 whole peppercorns

But here's the key to any brine...

Taste it before you use it. A brine should taste good. It might not be something you'd drink, but the taste should be good. Overly salty brine is not a good thing. It should be a tolerable saltiness and I prefer a nice blend of salt and sweet.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
But here's the key to any brine...

Taste it before you use it. A brine should taste good. It might not be something you'd drink, but the taste should be good. Overly salty brine is not a good thing. It should be a tolerable saltiness and I prefer a nice blend of salt and sweet.
I second what BBallBaby said here. I personally go a hair over on the salty side, as I am not a huge salt fan, and apparently everyone else is.

ALSO: A common NOOB mistake that is made, so please pay attention to this, is read the packaging that the bird was sold in. If you see anything about a solution, or existing brine, make sure and take note to the percentage in there. There are a lot of birds that stores sell with an existing salty brine solution in the bag with the bird. If you can, try to avoid buying one with an existing brine solution. (This isn't all solution in the packaging, just ones that state brine or salty brine). If you brine it again when you get home then cook it, you might have a nasty salty ass bird served up for dinner, and well.... that's no bueno.

If you cannot avoid an existing pre salty high solution bird, then just cut the salt out of your brine your making. Obviously not the ideal scenario, but its better than nothing.

I hope that makes sense, if not feel free to PM me, and I'll help how I can.

-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Getting brines ready today. Anyone else not excited about the extra cold temps out this week for smoking?

To all who are smoking/cooking, I hope you enjoy the hell out of it! I know I will.

-Chrisso

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will throw another brine recipe on the fire. We have made this bird every year for the last 10 turkey days. Using the chocolate poblano mole in place of gravy adds a chunky sweet/spicey surprise to your turkey, stuffing mashed potatoes, etc.
Brine:
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped yellow onions
2 oranges, halved
2 jalapenos, minced (with their seeds)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1 gallon of water
1 (6 1/2 pound) whole turkey breast

Chocolate Poblano Mole
1 pound poblano chiles
1 large yellow onion, peeled and halved (root end left on)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken stock or canned low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
To roast the peppers, place them directly on the burners of a gas stove over medium heat and turn them frequently with tongs until all sides are charred black, 7 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, the peppers can be roasted under a broiler or over a hot gas or charcoal grill.) Transfer the peppers to a plastic or paper bag, seal the bag, and let cool for about 15 minutes. Peel the peppers, remove the seeds and stems, and coarsely chop the flesh.

Roast the onion halves over medium heat, using the same procedure, until the cut surfaces are lightly charred and the onion is slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Remove and discard the root ends from the onions; coarsely chop the onions.

Heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the pistachios, pumpkinseeds, and pine nuts and cook, stirring occasionally, until the nuts are browned. Add the peppers, onions, chili powder, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper and stir for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and cilantro and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Add the cream, stir well, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender. Serve over the sliced turkey.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I only brined one bird...came out way to salty. Looked at the package and saw it was already injected w/ 8% solution. Now when I smoke them I check first. Hard to find fresh turkey around here so we buy at the supermarket and all of those are already injected...so no brining for me.

I also smoke mine vertically on a stand so that the smoke and heat travel around and up through the bird. I don't baste it at all and always comes out excellent. I have never added stuffing to it as I want it to cook inside out and having stuffing in there would slow the process down, which is already a long process.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Savoring the last few hours of the brine before hitting the oven and cooking all day. If you guys could smell this you would swear it smells like heaven.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Well my small bird (10lbs) smoked up pretty fast. Everyone that tried it seemed to enjoy it though, might reduce the heat a little bit though next time as I kept it at about 300-350.