What's new

Smoking at the Park?

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked an RP 1992 Vintage, box-pressed, "seconds"... The cigar was fine, nice, full-bodied, a little spice, a little hot toward the finish, but a really easy drawing, full smoke.

I'm posting more about the etiquette surrounding cigars in public... Me, my wife, our three children, my brother, his daughter, and my mom were all at a HUGE park (Overpeck, for anybody who knows north Jersey parks)... It's got a mile+ walk, run, & bike path, a nice climbing area for kids, and a multi-acre grassy area in the middle to read, fly kites, etc...

So I brought along this smoke because I've been wanting to try it, and I trailed along side the family, NOT TOO CLOSE TO THE PATH because a) I was trying to be considerate, and b) I was trying to go out of my way to APPEAR to be considerate of all the runners, joggers, and families around.

Then we made our way over toward the climbing area. Now, I stood a good 50 feet away from the little playground area mostly because I don't like to smoke too close to my wife (who doesn't love the aroma, although my kids seem to like it), but again, so that I'd be completely considerate of anybody else in the area!

Apparently the full-bodied-ness of this particular cigar was making its way over toward the playground- fine, no problem... If anybody, anyone, a single person asked me to move further away or put it out, I would have done so, NO problem!!! I'm a totally friendly guy, not militant or pushy about my cigar-appreciation!

But this one family made a whole show of leaving to "come back later," then looking over at me... So I walked FURTHER away, toward the stream nearby. Now, I don't mind being far from my family for a little while to enjoy my cigar!!! It's fine!!! I can see they're all enjoying themselves, and they're obviously safe with three other adults present, and I have a little quiet time to enjoy my cigar. But this family was so mean-spirited about it, that it made me feel truly bad! Despite the fact that I was a) doing NOTHING ILLEGAL (there were cops and troopers all over because they were preparing for the 9/11 memorial there) and b) I was SHOWING VERY CLEARLY that I was trying to keep the smoke away from the kid-area!

Do you guys smoke at parks while you're out? What about at the beach? There were plenty of people smoking cigarettes there, and that didn't seem to be offensive! (I know, I know- cigars are much stronger, but still?)

Please, please, share your opinions... I know this is an old topic, but are we not supposed to smoke stoags while we're out? It was a nice, breezy (if not totally sunny) day!!!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I only smoke at the house. Or when I get together with like people that smoke cigars.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
At our old place I used to smoke cigars at the complex pool. Other than that I rarely smoke anywhere but my basement. As for the whole park thing, you were not in the wrong. You will find those kindn of people everywhere. Some people believe smoking cigars anywhere in public should be illegal. Let em believe what they wish.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Yep, as long as there is no ordinance and I am not being obnoxious about it I smoke pretty much anywhere outdoors...if people give me looks or make comments then it is too bad for them because I am allowed to smoke there just as much as they are allowed to be asses.

IMO of course. :rofl:

sleepydoc

Gas Passer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just wear a sign around your neck that says....

"When I'm not Smoking, I'm Farting!" :noemotion

People will rush up to you to offer a match.

matalo

Man, Myth, Legend?
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I say you went way out of your way to not burden others.

Me personally, I try to be courteous, but if I am at the park with the kiddoes, I would not mind firing one up.

As others have said countless times before me, we are a dying breed and must try to protect what little rights we have. Be courteous, but do not feel bad about enjoying (or trying) to enjoy yourself with that little slice of heaven also knows as a cigar.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I say it's bad press. People are so anti-smoking now that the mere sight of a cigar being smoked sends them into a tail spin. If you feel guilty about smoking then they have done thier job.

I wouldn't worry about it. Don't let them ruin your cigar next time your out. You have every right to enjoy the park as everybody else does.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I agree with the others who feel that you went beyond what was necessary to be a good neighbor. Anti-smokers are quite vehement about their beliefs and are going to let you know that you are "offending" them, no matter how considerate you might be about enjoying your smoke. Cigars just seem to inflame them even more.

The smell of a cigar is distinctive and it can spread quite far, more than just what we see the smoke traveling. Once I was camping with my Dad and I was sitting at the campfire smoking a La Gloria churchill maduro. It was a still night with little to no breeze. My Dad (a non-smoker) had been out for a little walk and as he approached the fire, I heard him laughing as he said, "I can smell it from here." He was easily a good 30 yards away.

Indyrob makes a great point about bad press...and it's only going to get worse, I'm afraid.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it. I bet even if you put it out they wouldn't have been happy until you went home took a shower and changed your clothes. Just be happy that you will always have a place to let those frustrations out.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll smoke anywhere it's legal but I will try to be considerate of the people around me...if someone makes a courteous request I will do my best to accomodate them...but in your case, they were just assholes...don't let people like that ruin your enjoyment if it's legal and you're being considerate...if they're rude, screw 'em...:pitchfork

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in Nueromancers approach, I try to be as conciderate as I can, (even to a fault), but after that I just don't give a damn.

Smoking a cigar is legal, so if I choose to do that in a place where it is legal I don't even feel guilty.

I can live with myself even if someone gets their pantys in a wad.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Generally, I only smoke at my house, at friends houses, or at cigar events.

The only time I can even THINK of having smoked in public was at a baseball game. I was in the official smoking area just outside the in-park BAR where cigar smoking is quite acceptable; I've got a cigar-smoking buddy who's a bartender there, and he said folks sit there and smoke all the time. As it happened, I was the only cigar smoker that day.

45 minutes later when I got back at my seat, which was 5 sections away, one of my friends said he could smell my cigar downwind the entire time. I was honestly shocked that the smell traveled that far. :noemotion

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
You will always have people like that. If you know you are doing the right thing then I would not let them ruin my enjoyment of a cigar.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... This is a great outpouring of support! Now I REALLY know why I'm on this board.

I knew I was in the right, especially because I truly went out of my way to stay from from all the humans.

As I said, I know the topic has been exhausted, but I really, really, appreciate everyone's input.

Even still, I'll probably think twice before bringing another cigar to the park.... Or maybe I won't.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Just catching up on a few threads when I read this. I have to agree, Ben. You were more than considerate. We can not let militant anti smokers make us change our behavior simply by implication and “looks”. I’m like you, if I feel comfortable lighting up a stick in an area that has no restrictions, I’ll make an effort not to offend if possible. Hell, I even ask a bartender at a bar that has a humidor if there is any problem if I light up.

Don’t let a few “offended” interfere with your enjoyment of a good cigar. There are some people who aren’t happy unless they are offended by something. We just happen to be easy targets.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The problem is there are more of them than us. Thats why I can no longer smoke at the city beach or the local park or int he city of Calabasas at all anymore. Someone smoked. Someone complained and then the bleeding hearts throw down the gauntlet that we are endanering the lives of everyone on earth. Then legislation. Then we are criminals. I hate this.

You did everything you could but it wasn't enough for them. Much as I would like to say screw em, I can't. Defensive smoking. Sad.