What's new

Smoking at the Park?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
What I think is funny is I've been out to parks, events, any place where a lot of people gather and there is always someone smoking pot. I can smell it. No one around me makes any move to out the pothead, but if it was a cigar....you know the rest of the story.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One of my favorite places to smoke is a local park. We take the whole family. It is a popular area and there are a lot of events. I try to be considerate and stay downwind of groups and away from small children. Fortunately, no complaints so far.

Have to say the community I live in now is far more tolerant of that kind of thing than other communties.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to smoke at the kiddy play park, but the little kids would come over and say "hi", I always would set my smoke down, and dang, one of the little tikes would always accidentally step on it.

I'm just glad they had thier shoes on.

I've stopped trying to appease the moms in the hood, but I don't smoke at the kiddy park anymore, because my kids are getting older and, their friends are fascinated with my activity come up and ask a million questions. I'm like quit bugging me I'm smoking a cigar.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow... This is a great outpouring of support! Now I REALLY know why I'm on this board.

I knew I was in the right, especially because I truly went out of my way to stay from from all the humans.

As I said, I know the topic has been exhausted, but I really, really, appreciate everyone's input.

Even still, I'll probably think twice before bringing another cigar to the park.... Or maybe I won't.

To me humanity is not examplified by some people attempting to force their beliefs/values onto society as a whole. That is what these anti-tobacco zealots are doing every day.

You were acting in the right in all regards. You were going WELL above and beyond what I feel considerate would have been in the situation. Your consideration for them, however, was completely negated by their lack of consideration for you. You have a right (it still is a right) to enjoy your cigar in a socially responsible manner in a public setting. Just because they disagree with your actions does not make your actions wrong, but in their minds you are wrong because simply because they disagree with you. That is the type of enemey cigar smokers are up against.

I urge you not to hesitate to light up in the park as you did. I would say that you even went too far in your attempt to bend over backwards to appease them, and yet they were still not satisified.

To impose certain restrictions - be it against smoking, drinking, whatever - within one's private domain (car, home, place of business, etc) on behavior one disagrees with is completely understandable. However, it is wrong from both a moral and societal standpoint to attempt to impose those restrictions on the public, and in a public setting even more so!!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Living in California, I have no choice but to smoke outdoors. I normally smoke in my backyard, while walking around my employers campus or occaionally at smoke-friendly bars with local friends.

However, If I did choose to enjoy a cigar or pipe at one of the local parks, I would probably follow the same path as you - by trying to find a spot downwind and away from most who might be offended by the smoke. But also like you, I'm not a mind reader ... so if people don't have the balls to come up to me and politely ask me to smoke elsewhere, then I won't feel the least bit bad if they make it a point to give me dirty looks while leaving. :dance:

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I occasionally walk down to the park with my pipe. First thing I did was check for no smoking signs. Most people just say 'hi' and I wish them a good evening.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is a no smoking sign/policy/law... I light up every chance. A public park is no exception. Especially if other are smoking cigarettes! Now that family that gave you shit... I would have said something. :bickering I would have said something to the effect of pointing out the other cigarette smokers, how you were trying to be nice about by staying far away... something. I can't stand tobacco Nazi's. :grinFU: Afterall, some cigars have a pretty good aroma.
How dare that family!:angeryell It's OUTSIDE! People that do that are just asking for a bitch-slap.
Hell, I remember walking around Chinatown NYC last year... sometime during the Italian San Genaro fest... I was smoking a cigar, and remember hearing a couple of people comment nastily how bad that smells. I was walking just ahead of them, so I just puffed harder and laughed.... trying to blow smoke right in their direction. :tongueout :laugh:

Remember man... fight for your rights to smoke. Stick it to the smoke nazi's.

Steve

BTW, I agree with trying not to smoke around the kids.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Unless there is a no smoking sign/policy/law... I light up every chance. A public park is no exception. Especially if other are smoking cigarettes! Now that family that gave you shit... I would have said something. :bickering I would have said something to the effect of pointing out the other cigarette smokers, how you were trying to be nice about by staying far away... something. I can't stand tobacco Nazi's. :grinFU: Afterall, some cigars have a pretty good aroma.
How dare that family!:angeryell It's OUTSIDE! People that do that are just asking for a bitch-slap.
Hell, I remember walking around Chinatown NYC last year... sometime during the Italian San Genaro fest... I was smoking a cigar, and remember hearing a couple of people comment nastily how bad that smells. I was walking just ahead of them, so I just puffed harder and laughed.... trying to blow smoke right in their direction. :tongueout :laugh:

Remember man... fight for your rights to smoke. Stick it to the smoke nazi's.

Steve

BTW, I agree with trying not to smoke around the kids.
I've had the walk past comments, I make sure it's a good puff!