What's new

Smoking Cigars after Dental Filling: Good or Bad?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Is your face still numb? If so, it would be interesting to see if you can taste any flavors. I'd give it a shot.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I'm sure your dentist would tell you not to even smoke, but the best advice I just got from a friend of mine that is a dental hygienist was to wait a day and let your mouth rest to avoid complications, irritations and infections. Although you have a greater chance of getting an infection from something you eat or via getting a germ from someone else. She even advised to rinsing with a good mouthwash for the next few days after smoking a cigar. You might want to include that habit anyways.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Having my fair share of dental work and visits it's always a good idea to let your mouth have time off from anything that might be in irritant. As much as I'd love to have a cigar anytime that I think about it....after having dental work done I just don't really have the desire.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
A simple filling is not a prob bro ...

eating/chewing food, drinking bevs, and smoking tobac are essentially one in the same

Thanks

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0

eating/chewing food, drinking bevs, and smoking tobac are essentially one in the same

Thanks
smoking is a little different because of the pressure/suction that occurs when inhaling the smoke, same reason why it is advised not to drink from a straw after major dental procedures, but in reference to a filling you are probably right

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the smoke will irritate and already inflamed area in your mouth. And never, never, never smoke after having a tooth pulled or you could create a pocket that will breed bacteria forever.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I'm sure your dentist would tell you not to even smoke, but the best advice I just got from a friend of mine that is a dental hygienist was to wait a day and let your mouth rest to avoid complications, irritations and infections. Although you have a greater chance of getting an infection from something you eat or via getting a germ from someone else. She even advised to rinsing with a good mouthwash for the next few days after smoking a cigar. You might want to include that habit anyways.
Thanks.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1

Thanks
smoking is a little different because of the pressure/suction that occurs when inhaling the smoke, same reason why it is advised not to drink from a straw after major dental procedures, but in reference to a filling you are probably right
That's interesting to learn. I always thought the straw thing was to avoid damaging the work done, since you could easily do so with a numb mouth.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0

Thanks
That's interesting to learn. I always thought the straw thing was to avoid damaging the work done, since you could easily do so with a numb mouth.
that might be another reason, but the vacuum/pressure inside your mouth created from the sucking can disturb blood clots and allow the smoke particles/food/drink to get inside and cause infection. At least that's what the internet told me last time I was researching it :)

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As someone that managed a dental office for for 3 years. If you got an amalgam filling wait a day. If you got a composite your fine. The same goes for drinking through a straw. I have seen people who have gotten amalgam fillings and pulled them out by smoking and drinking through straws. The composite fillings should have been set with a uv light so they are in there very good and once you're not numb your good to go. Unless you had fillings on multiple teeth or surfaces. If you did then you're mouth may be sore and you may want to wait.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
As someone that managed a dental office for for 3 years. If you got an amalgam filling wait a day. If you got a composite your fine. The same goes for drinking through a straw. I have seen people who have gotten amalgam fillings and pulled them out by smoking and drinking through straws. The composite fillings should have been set with a uv light so they are in there very good and once you're not numb your good to go. Unless you had fillings on multiple teeth or surfaces. If you did then you're mouth may be sore and you may want to wait.
Good to hear. It was a composite filling in one tooth, and they went crazy with the UV light wand thingie at different angles.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1

Thanks
that might be another reason, but the vacuum/pressure inside your mouth created from the sucking can disturb blood clots and allow the smoke particles/food/drink to get inside and cause infection. At least that's what the internet told me last time I was researching it :)
Just filed this under "you learn something new everyday" :)