What's new

Smoking every cent

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm gonna cut straight to the chase. When I smoke, if the cigar is decent, I tend to smoke it as far as I can (nub it). I've noticed with most cigars, as I get down towards the end, it tends to get a moist feel to it, flavor suffers, get infrequent burn, etc. I've been told this is pretty common, what I'd like to know is if there is a way to counter this and keep those last few puffs up to par? :cjump: Thanks

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
There are two main methods that I've found (yes it's very common)

1) Slow way down towards the end. The rate of combuston is controlled by how you draw on the cigar (obviously .. the harder and more often you draw, the faster the stick will burn). If you slow down, it won't burn quite as hot.

2) Purging. BLOW into your cigar (from the head--same place you normally puff from) fairly hard for about 10 seconds or so. Then let the cigar recover for about 30 seconds (you might need to blow on the cherry a bit to keep it going ... that's what she said). Then take another draw, see if it's improved. You may need to purge multiple times, but a good purge will very often return the cigars to the flavors you were enjoying earlier on in the burn.

What purging does (I think) is cause the tar that has built-up during the course of the burn to itself be burned off instead of accumulating near the end and altering the flavors and burn of the cigar.

A lot of people purge often, even before the "hot and squishy" phase at the end, just because some sticks tend to get muddy, bitter, or really strong in the final third. If you don't like that, a purge will usually return you to the flavors of the second third (or thereabouts).

If it's my very first time with a certain cigar, I'll let it burn "as intended." But after that, if I'm not digging it after a while I won't hesitate to purge it--burning cigars are about enjoyment and relaxation, after all, so why not enjoy it? Just yesterday I purged a Padron Anniversary because I wasn't liking it in the final third. That might make Ernesto cringe, but I enjoyed nubbing it afterwards :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
flavor suffers
To me, the last inch or two of a cigar is the best. Flavors get richer, you pick up more flavors like coffee, chocolate and anise (licorice).

What cigars are you smoking?

How long does it take you to smoke a cigar (say a toro)?

Are you a wet smoker (is the head of the cigar wet and mushy?)

Does this phenomenon happen with all cigars you smoke or is it happening at your store, or from your humi...?

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I thought Larry had a great idea when he said he will sometimes use a pipe to finish off a great cigar...That one got my vote:thumbsup:

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
I thought Larry had a great idea when he said he will sometimes use a pipe to finish off a great cigar...That one got my vote:thumbsup:

I agree with larry. I use this method often. When it's a really good cigar i just can't put down like a CGR or psd #4 reserva i throw it in a pipe. It works wonders.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I have noticed that purging and pacing myself at the end allows me to enjoy some of the qualities DH mentioned. A nub holder of some sort may work well, too.

I agree with OP about the end of the stick is often good for some real depth and surprises of flavor if not rushed. Exploring that when I smoke is one not only a pleasure, but lets you explore every cigar a little differently.

Last edited:

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I agree with larry. I use this method often. When it's a really good cigar i just can't put down like a CGR or psd #4 reserva i throw it in a pipe. It works wonders.
Now THIS is a new one on me. You mean you just drop the burning nub into the bowl of a pipe and smoke??

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I usually just slow my pace down as I get towards the end and let it burn a little slower so it doesn't get too harsh towards the end.

I don't think I've purged a cigar before, but that's good stuff to know.

Now THIS is a new one on me. You mean you just drop the burning nub into the bowl of a pipe and smoke??
That's my question too. I think I saw Larry mention it before, but wasn't sure exactly how he did it. I think it's a great idea for those smokes you really just don't want to put down.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Never new you could smoke it like that? I gotta get me a nice pipe and try it, can I get a little bit more info on this please? Thanks

awhitaker

HoosierOTL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite part is the end. It's usually the first inch or so that I don't like. By the 2/3 and last third, the cigar is usually great. By the end if I really enjoyed the cigar, I start to feel sad that it will end and tend to savor each and every puff much more.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, the last inch or two of a cigar is the best. Flavors get richer, you pick up more flavors like coffee, chocolate and anise (licorice).

What cigars are you smoking?

How long does it take you to smoke a cigar (say a toro)?

Are you a wet smoker (is the head of the cigar wet and mushy?)

Does this phenomenon happen with all cigars you smoke or is it happening at your store, or from your humi...?
Cigars I smoke really vary right now, mostly robusto size: DPG Blue Label Generosa, Gran Habano Vintage 2002, Tat Havana VI Noble... To name a few.

Last night I smoked a Chateau Real, it was pretty moist towards the end. Total smoke time was a little over 2 hours. I'm a dry smoker, pretty much as dry as it can get. All the cigars are from either me or Paul's Humi. The chateau last night was from paul's, but it happens with either of ours. Oh, and mines a tuppidor (think thats how its typed.)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yea try a pipe, just insert the cigar with the head first until you get a descently tight seal. You should be able to puff and it should draw evenly, and the pipe stem will help to cool the smoke, resulting in better flavor.

There are also cigar mouthpieces, essentially a pipe that's a bit shorter and not curved, made especially for cigars. A google search should provide some options.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Cigars I smoke really vary right now, mostly robusto size: DPG Blue Label Generosa, Gran Habano Vintage 2002, Tat Havana VI Noble... To name a few.

Last night I smoked a Chateau Real, it was pretty moist towards the end. Total smoke time was a little over 2 hours. I'm a dry smoker, pretty much as dry as it can get. All the cigars are from either me or Paul's Humi. The chateau last night was from paul's, but it happens with either of ours. Oh, and mines a tuppidor (think thats how its typed.)
What is the humidity set at?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a xikar gel pack, Paul put a digital hydrometer in there and we got 68% humidity.

I smoked another DPG Blue Label today. I purged twice towards the end and it really helped with the flavor and the burn seemed to even out nicely. I was kinda disappointed with this stick when i smoked it previously, but I actually enjoyed it a lot this time. The end smoothed out a ton and the end flavor was delicious. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably try smoking the end in my pipe here sometime. I'll post and tell ya how it goes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
purging works well to get the last bit out. I find it yields diminishing returns though towards the end and i'm constantly purging more than I'm puffing. If the taste is worth it, I keep doing it though lol

I've heard of corn on the cobb holders used as nubbers but Jenady has a good thing there.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i agree purging could help. However, I never do it, and rarely have problems. So it's a nice band-aid but with a good cigar i don't think you should have to purge at all. I would try experimenting with a few things to see if you can get to the bottom of your problem.

Calibrate the hygrometer - make sure it is actually the humidity it is telling you. Google the salt test for help.

Try adjusting your smoking habits. Try some of these things one at a time to see if they help: smoke slower, draw the smoke in slower, smoke it in a different place (environment), try other cigars, etc.

These of course are just suggestions, as long as you are happy that's all that matters.