What's new

Smoking in your car (A How To)

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
As a cigar smoker (16+ years for me), there comes a time when you decide that smoking a cigar in your car out weighs the desire to retain that new car smell. Like many areas in life, cigars win – LOL!

I am the guy that drives everywhere, averaging about 26,000 miles a year on my vehicles so when I bought my last SUV a few years ago, I developed a process to prevent my truck from getting that stale smokey smell from my cigar enjoyment during my 1 hour commute and long trips during the motorcycle racing season.

Non smokers have commented that they would never had known that I smoke cigars (and cigarettes) daily in my truck.

1.) Crack the driver's window (obviously)

2.) Open the "fresh air" vent (not the recirculating vent) and turn it on low

3.) Turn the vent adjustment so the fresh air is flowing into your floor board (the typical symbol is the towards the feet on the controls)

4.) Smoke away :)

A couple of tips here are:

1.) Pick up some "rain guards" that fit your vehicle. These allow you to crack the widow without rain coming in. The are great for creating a dead air space that allows you to easily flick your ash out the window without it blowing back in your vehicle.

2.) If you don't want the rain guards, use the dead space created by the driver's side mirror.

3.) Use a cigar Bobken (cupholder ashtray) – Car ashtrays are so tiny now that cigars never seem to fit them. I guess that's why most people put change in them.

Simple right?

Well it gets more involved since smoking the vehicle isn't the real problem. The problem exists afterwards when you have that stale smoke smell in your vehicle. Here is a list of tips for cleaning.

Clean all your windows with a vinegar based cleaner like Windex. This will remove the smoke residue on your windows which greatly contributes to the stale smell.

Wipe down all the hard surfaces in the interior with a 6 parts to 1 mixture of Woolite and warm water. You can even lightly spray this on the head liner and wipe it down with a soft towel.

The hardest and most important part is cleaning the seats – especially if you have a cloth interior. After each drive where I smoke, I spray with Fabreeze. Then once every week or two, I sprinkle baking soda based carpet deodorizing on the seats and floor. I usually do this whenever I am getting my car cleaned.

Many of the newer vehicles have a carbon cabin filter. Replace this every 3 months. They usually run about $25 but it's worth as most of the air in your car runs through this device.

3 times a year I steam clean my interior. I bought a Bissell hand held steam cleaner for under $100 and it works very well. I use it to clean the seats, carpet, floor mats, headliner and door panels.

While this seems incredibly involved, you quickly get used to the procedure and it's really not as bad as it sounds.

With the recent discovery of the Pureayre product, I expect the procedure to be greatly reduced and with better results. Instead of using Fabreeze (which contains tons of chemicals), I plan on using the Pureayre in it's place. I also intend on cleaning the vehicle's vent system by applying the Pureayre directly into the engine's air intake while running the fresh air vents.

Hope this translates well and happy smoking my friends!

~Mark

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
This should be added to the FAQ area. Good stuff. Any weigh in on the cig lighter air purifiers?

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
This should be added to the FAQ area. Good stuff. Any weigh in on the cig lighter air purifiers?
I haven't found one yet that holds up well enough. I do use my small Csonka over night in my truck though

~M

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good points! I find that splitting the flow 50/50 between the floor and the dash vents works best for me. Also, hold the cigar in your left hand. Don't try to flick ashes out the window while moving. And don't purge while driving.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One note about the window, just lower the driver's window only about an inch. If you lower it farther it will blow back in the car. I had a rich maduro a while back and my wife said she never smelled it the whole hour we were on the road.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
Clean all your windows with a vinegar based cleaner like Windex. This will remove the smoke residue on your windows which greatly contributes to the stale smell.

Once I went about 3 months with out cleaning the windows. But I was really disappointed when I finally did clean them. :wtf:

All that time I thought the wife had got the window tinted.
:bouncetau :bouncetau :bouncetau

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea I need to clean mine bad... I know that it is the only reason why my car smells, I just have not gotten aroung to it...

and damn Mark, you putting in some serious work today..

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Thanks for the post Mark

If you can, buy a car with leather. Makes a huge difference.

Also, only use windex on factory tinted windows. If you have aftermarket tint, the windex/ammonia will destroy the tint.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
This reminds me, now that I have a car I need one of them cup holder ash trays. Maybe once I am good enough driver to smoke at the same time though...

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I smoke in my car, but since my car already is used for driving around the dogs and is covered with doghair everywhere, we take hers when we need a fancy ride. mine is the man-car, so no worries.
but yeah, clean windows often

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My car smells like cigar. Well, not too bad since the last one I had in there was two weeks ago but it's still there a little. I can smell the fast food more though, that's even worse. When I go to band practice I normally have an hour drive every other time so I take a handful of cigars with me. I went through four last time, two absolutely sucked on the way down so they didn't last more than an inch or so, the third wasn't too bad.