What's new

So Cal Brother heading to the cold

cubancigarman

CRA/NRA MEMBER
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I have to go to Toronto and New York next week for work. Everyone I talk to keeps telling me dress warm, bring a jacket, it's extremely cold, etc etc. If they are saying it's cold I'm SCARED. Being a So Cal native I don't do so well in the cold. My wife keeps telling me I won't be working outside, which is true but I do have to go out to get from place to place. Also in NYC the locals I work with always want to walk everywhere even if it's snowing. I'm not saying this is my first time in the cold in fact I have spent many winter day in both Toronto, NYC and Vancouver but man I REALLY don't want to go. Any idea's for staying warm?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any idea's for staying warm?
Walk faster? :razz:

It might be a good idea to get some thermals too. They make some nice, thin ones that are easy to have on under your clothes. I also like to make sure that whatever I have as my top layer is windproof and waterproof. Snow may take a bit longer to soak through your clothes, but it will and it'll make you an unhappy camper in a hurry.

Edit:

Oh, and gloves and hats are nice to have too. I've always got something on my head and I usually keep a pair of gloves in my coat pocket. Scarves keep a lot of heat in, though I don't much care for them.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
hmm temps are low mid 20s to low thirties right now in the GTA ('m about an hour-hour and a half away) but as long as you dress relatively warm you should be fine.

Best advice, wear a warm jacket, socks, wool gloves and a proper touqe and you'll be alright. We aren't in blowing cold and HOLY$H!T! HOW DO PEOPLE LIVE HERE!?! weather mode yet.

cubancigarman

CRA/NRA MEMBER
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
haha.. my admin assistant in Toronto told me to bring my touqe.. I bet most of the American BOTL's have no idea what a touqe is :)

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm a SoCal native as well. I went to college in Northern Utah, and lived there for 3 years. Just have a warm jacket, some gloves, a beanie, and some wool combo socks. Always keep the gloves and beanie in your jacket pockets...like others have said. As far as your feet, I have always owned a good pair of Gore-Tex hiking/backpacking boots.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I grew up in SoCal too and went to college in North Dakota where there were weeks it never got above zero.

You'll survive. Just dress in layers with a good shell and make sure you have a beanie and gloves.