What's new

So, I was looking at various cigar of the month clubs...

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Cigar Federation has a pretty good one. Interesting selections with no (in my option) dog rockets. For $40 I'd trust my own intuition and research and make up my own fiver, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
You might like all of them in a year, who knows? But why would you pay for 3 crapy sticks if you can choose not to?
The three good ones, at a shop, would cost me more than what the club cost. And again, I said I would not have bought it for myself. But it's nice to have a surprise and try some new things that I wouldn't have gotten on my own, good or bad. I enjoy smoking cigars and trying new stuff. So, you know. It's all good.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
The three good ones, at a shop, would cost me more than what the club cost. And again, I said I would not have bought it for myself. But it's nice to have a surprise and try some new things that I wouldn't have gotten on my own, good or bad. I enjoy smoking cigars and trying new stuff. So, you know. It's all good.
Not knocking the wonderful thoughtful present. However, he asked for advice. I can almost guarantee that with the total amount spent, you can buy much better stuff online.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Not knocking the wonderful thoughtful present. However, he asked for advice. I can almost guarantee that with the total amount spent, you can buy much better stuff online.
Absolutely agreed. I was just showing a silver lining; with another way of looking at it it's not all bad. That is my addition to the advice given.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
i used to get like 20 cigars a month from a vendor. my only problem that i came up with doing the com club is that they send you sticks from a VERY wide profile range. if you do go that route it's not a bad thing because i found at least 3 cigars i absolutely loved this way. but it's almost like blind box buys you never know what your gonna get and there are several sticks i never even lit and alot i had to chuck because it just wasn't me. i just canceled my last of my monthly shipments. if you start getting more that you don't like then you do like cancel it and go on your own.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
There's a couple and I mean like 2 decent CoTM samplers to participate in. The thing is the contents are subject to change with availability.

Small Batch has some decent samplers. Cigar Federation has a decent CoTM and I don't think you're locked in each month.

Sent from my 2nd Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935V

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There's a couple and I mean like 2 decent CoTM samplers to participate in. The thing is the contents are subject to change with availability.

Small Batch has some decent samplers. Cigar Federation has a decent CoTM and I don't think you're locked in each month.

Sent from my 2nd Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935V
+1 for Small batch. They have solid lineups of CoTM smokes. Plus they're a BOTL sponsor here with us!

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Can't speak for cigar of the month club, but I got two beer of the month clubs gifted to me and I have been massively disappointed with those. As someone mentioned earlier the flavor profile is all over the place and it always seems they throw in a cheap one in.

Start with a Newbie trade that should be worth your while.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've picked up a couple CoTM samplers.. just nothing that's a normal subscription, like JR's.. Smallbatch, Smoke Inn, and Cigar Federation have decent samplers and some you can get the info on before buying, like from Smoke Inn... I personally don't like blind buys.. end up wasting too much $$ that way.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I listen to the Cigar Authority podcast. They have a 'care package' that is 4 cigars that they are going to smoke on the show in the course of a month for $20, including shipping. Just got my first delivery this week--and haven't really evaluated yet but that's feels like a decent deal. Their track record of what gets smoked on the show vs what ends up in the care package seems pretty good. I wanted to branch out with smoking new stuff in the new year and thought this was a good chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cigar federation has a reasonably priced COTM. They've never sent me any turds. Also 2 Guys "care package" isn't half bad. It's only $20 a month. Sometimes they send turds but they do throw in stuff to even it out. Padron TAA, Byron just to name a couple.
How was the Byron? They talk about them a lot on the Cigar Authority (they're a sponsor) but they're expensive and I'd never heard of them before listening. Worth it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I think the majority will tell you to not buy into these types of clubs. But, keep in mind that the feedback of "no" comes from a group here who have been smoking for years and have developed a pallet and know which flavor profiles/countries they like. So there is absolutely no need for them to join a club.

I don't know how long you have been smoking cigars but if you are newer to the hobby, then it might not be a bad idea to try out a Monthly Club so you can taste random sticks and learn what you like and don't like. Doing this, and listening to the experience of the BOTLs here, will develop you much quicker.

I kind of look at it like this (and this does not include all the trades/passes here on BOTL): First year of really getting into smoking, try a monthly club. Then start transitioning into buying 5'ers of things you like (flavor profiles, country of origin, sizes, etc). If you love cigars and are into the hobby at this point, start looking at bigger purchases so you can start aging sticks.

So, I think @VeLoRoK makes a solid point and as usual, this is just my 2 cents.