What's new

So I'm interviewing with Altadis

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Just wondering if there are any cigar reps on the board. I've got an interview coming up with Altadis for the S.E. US regional sales manager position. They're flying me in on their dime for a couple of days. I would guess they're pretty serious about me for the position, otherwise I doubt they'd drop a grand or more on my visit just to chit chat. I don't really know many details about the position but I will have to respond pretty quickly to another job offer I have when I get back. So I'm looking for any info I can find beforehand, and also any particular detail questions I need to make sure I ask about.

I've got a couple of weeks before the interview so I'm throwing this out there early to get input. I've heard repping for a cigar company isn't all it's cracked up to be so I'm wondering how so. Gotta admit I'm a little excited about this one.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Ive wondered about the pros and cons of that job

good luck

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I wish you well man! I hope you do well and get offered the job... but more importantly, figure out what you've heard why it might not be all it's cracked up to be to make a good decision for you if you do get offered the job.

I know a few people doing the job, but honestly don't get into the conversation about specifics. I personally look at it two ways but really have no clue if my thought process is right or wrong. On one hand you can be working in an industry that you have fallen in love with, otherwise you wouldn't be on a cigar forum. lol I'm a firm believer in doing something for work that you love, there are many people that don't. It can be a very rewarding career and be something that makes you happy. But on the other hand, think about the travel, constant selling, constant promoting of your company/brand that has no traditional work hours. I personally feel it's job for young people, people that don't have a family or someone that truly wants to travel and can manage all that with a family/home life. But then again, that can be any traveling sales job. I've thought about getting into the industry myself, but my family life is way more important to me and being on that schedule is not an option.

Sure you will probably have the time of your life, going places, having a career you truly love. But only you can answer if that works in your life, or if there would be too many sacrifices. You should definitely PM Speedy as noted above. :)

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I would love to get into a position like that.

I currently travel for my job to places I don't care to go and deal with people that drive me freaking crazy. I'd gladly give it up for a job I travel in but deal w/ like minded people. Even though I have a family, my kids are in HS and are happy when I'm gone used to me being gone for up to a month at a time.

Good luck with it and hope it's what you think it is. It's good to have options.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Sales is sales... if you love sales and the product your selling it will probably be a great fit. Sales seems to always be feast or famine. Great money one month, top Ramen and tuna the next.With that said I'm sure working for a bigger manufacturer it wouldn't be that hard. They seem to dominate shelf space everywhere.
I personally feel you should always interview if possible and turn down a bad fit if need be, but without the interview you'd never know.