What's new

So much for "only sold at Casa Fuente..."

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
I might, and probably are wrong, but a guy at a B&M I went to once was selling some liga for a fuck ton over msrp. It was a small shop, and didn't even have here's Esteli, or Nica Rustica. The owner said he bought them from a 3rd party and that was the only way he could legally sell aquire/sell them if he didn't receive them from DE. It was something of the sort, it was a while back
There are a lot of stores who buy Liga through a 3rd party (another retailer). They're not available for wholesale, but some store owners are shady.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
So you're ok with retailers price gouging to these extremes?
So here's the difference. It's not like they got them wholesale from Fuente and are gauging because the market allows for it. I'm not an expert on pricing or the cigar business, but based on what they cost at Casa Fuente, and what they're selling them for, they're making less than a 50% margin, and l doubt a 50% margin is all that unusual. Maybe it is.

The point is that they're not a non-profit, they're a retailer and they provide goods and services to their customers in exchange for profit.

Because people are holding back the truth. If it was a brother selling these for the same price on the forum the insults would be endless.
If it was a brother, it would be problematic because we're not here for profit, we're here for community. But a vendor exists to make money by providing goods or services. Different scenarios all together.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
So here's the difference. It's not like they got them wholesale from Fuente and are gauging because the market allows for it. I'm not an expert on pricing or the cigar business, but based on what they cost at Casa Fuente, and what they're selling them for, they're making less than a 50% margin, and l doubt a 50% margin is all that unusual. Maybe it is.
I believe 2x wholesale is typical in the industry. Prior to discounts of course.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Is it not also entirely possible that Fuente is setting these prices? I may be wrong, but I believe I heard that they tell retailers what to sell their regular lines for, and they're not allowed to discount them. If they are getting some boxes from Fuente, it might be on condition of these prices to protect their own store. I see they have the same 2 per person limit as well.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
There are some sales that seem to be similar at times on here but that's neither here nor there.

But it's a store. It's America bro.
That store is un-American bro.
This whole thing gave me a good little chuckle. Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

EDIT: I have nothing of value to add to this conversation.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Is it not also entirely possible that Fuente is setting these prices? I may be wrong, but I believe I heard that they tell retailers what to sell their regular lines for, and they're not allowed to discount them. If they are getting some boxes from Fuente, it might be on condition of these prices to protect their own store. I see they have the same 2 per person limit as well.
These prices are not set by Fuente. The Casa Fuente is a store exclusive for only Casa Fuente in Vegas. I think Holt's gets some Casa Fuente once a year for a Fuente event. Contract pricing is common in the cigar industry, but I don't think that is a factor in this situation.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
How do you guys know they didn't buy them from olh or a private seller for 2x msrp and now just trying to break even or maybe they're selling them "for a friend" who's setting the price

:)

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
FWIW, too many folks travel to Vegas and would pick the stick up for you if you asked. Many of them botls and others aren't bottom line to pay well over MSRP for that is too rich for my blood.