What's new

So, the wife wants a hot tub.....

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
....And it looks like shes pretty serious about it. We've been talking about it for awhile, but wasnt sure I wanted to dish the cash. Well, im kinda leaning her way, and am saying F-it. Might as well get it if we're just going to talk about it all day. So I come to you. Anyone have any tips? We will prob buy new. Id rather have the warranty and such. This will sit outside, year round. And, as some of you know, I live by Buffalo-Rochester, so it will be cold. I dont need a super huge one, and was looking at some that plug right into 120v. Actually, some that ive seen, will let you wire 120 or 220. I can do the wiring myself, so im not too worried about that. It will be sitting on a patio that I put in 2 yrs ago, which I assume should be ok. Anything I should know, from any of you guys that have one? Anything I should stay away from? She wants one, and something tells me that we'll be getting one either way. I bet it will be sweet smoking a stick in there. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Never had one....never thought I'd want one. But the last couple winters I've had chance to enjoy them in a couple of very cold locations. Turns out that smoking a cigar in a hot tub, no matter what the temp...or snowfall, is indeed very sweet

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Got one a few years back and love it. Always subtract 2 'seats' from what they say it holds. '4 person tub' sits 2 comfortably. We got a 6 person tub and even 4 adults is tight, although do-able. No way there would be 6 adults in there even though there are 6 seating spots.

Don't fall for all the crappy addons, stereo, waterfalls etc. 95% of the time you're just sitting in there with the jets on low.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Dave-thats what im talking about. i cant wait to have a smoke in there.

Brent-great info. I figured those add-ons are garbage, but could understand why someone could get sucked in. Ever had any experience with the soft tubs? Not the inflatable, just soft, I guess. They seem to be rated well. Here are a few I am looking at:

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/LifeCast-G-2-Hot-Tub-Spa-P9938C780.aspx

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/SuperTub-300-Portable-Spa-P915C59.aspx

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/LifeCast-Cyprus-Hot-Tub-Spa-P9936C780.aspx

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Dig a whole. Line it with a garbage bag. Fill it with hot water. Hot Tub, yeow.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
My dad has one... he is always bitching about all the chem work. Other than that, I know nothing beyond enjoying a smoke in there when I visit.

Best of luck!

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
A prior house I bought had one installed. A few thoughts:

- It had a thicker-than-normal base - poured deeper than the patio. Not sure if that was necessary but that is how it was set up.
- There was regulation on where the wire had to be run for home-inspection / city-compliance standards. Ours was buried but turned out the buried line had to be "x" feet away from the structure of the house.
- The waterfall is crap unless it is free.
- Agree about subtracting seating - unless you want to touch legs with everyone which would be nice if you host the local sorority but your wife may not approve.
- Chemicals weren't too bad. Scoop of powder every now and then.
- Privacy gazebo? But still topless so you can see the stars.
- Steps are a winner.
- We went with the thicker covering, worked well but in the summer (in AZ) it actually over-heated the water. Not sure you'll run into that issue.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My parents have one. I know they had to have a different electrical box installed(breaker box, whatever you call them) And it had to be so many feet from the hot tub. It is very nice in the winter.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
We went with the thicker covering, worked well but in the summer (in AZ) it actually over-heated the water. Not sure you'll run into that issue.
The thicker cover works well in colder climates for the opposite reason. When it gets super cold out the cover keeps the warmth in and does not let the water cool as fast.
My buddy has one and he went from a thin cover to a thick fold cover and he said his hydro bill dropped about 6% thanks to the thicker cover and the system not having to work so hard to warm up the water.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
We had hard sided tubs in CT and Michigan. The closer to the master bedroom, the happier you and she will be. Keeping it covered made the chemicals pretty simple. I have been looking at the soft side for CA and read good things about them.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
We had hard sided tubs in CT and Michigan. The closer to the master bedroom, the happier you and she will be. Keeping it covered made the chemicals pretty simple. I have been looking at the soft side for CA and read good things about them.
In warm climates the soft hottubs work but any where the weather gets real cold it is a little harder to keep the water warm so it has its trade offs.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Thanks for all the replies gents. Of the three links that I posted, I think we're going with this one:

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/LifeCast-G-2-Hot-Tub-Spa-P9938C780.aspx

The reviews are great, and from what I understand, there isnt a real difference between 110, and 220. Also, it says there isnt a huge spike in electrical bill, but we shall see I guess. Looking forward to it, and will keep updated.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Nice choice. I think that's pretty much identical to what we have as far as seating configuration and size.

With the 220 it heats up super fast, and as others have said, with a cover on it the chemical maintenance isn't actually that tough at all.
Let us know how it works out.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Nice choice. I think that's pretty much identical to what we have as far as seating configuration and size.

With the 220 it heats up super fast, and as others have said, with a cover on it the chemical maintenance isn't actually that tough at all.
Let us know how it works out.
Sweet. Do you recall what brand you got? And did you shop local or online?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Missy's Cousin has one and he has it on a deck like your but his deck is about 8 feet off the ground. The first thing that happened to him is the weight of the tub/water made the ground settle and one side of the deck sank into the ground so he had to fix that and add extra support. The second thing that happened is he went to drain the water out and did not drain it far enough out from the support beams and it washed out two of the beams so again he has to fix them. So adding support might be a good thing and dont just drop the hose off the side of the deck make sure you drain the water away from the deck..