What's new

So, uh, typewriters?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Anybody still have and use a typewriter?

I've been wanting to pick one up lately, and for no good reason. I think they're fun to write on, and I romanticize going full HST on one... but, let's be honest, I won't. I barely touch my notebooks and laptop for writing now. But, I kinda want one regardless.

Just curious to see if there's any other savages out there.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Funny looking at my profile pic, I don't use one all the time but I write on a Smith Corona. (It was a gift from my wife.)
I only write first drafts or original beats on it but I find it significantly less distracting then writing on a laptop. No Facebook, netflix or cigar sites lol.
Contrary to popular opinion, you don't have to be a hipster to use one.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Funny looking at my profile pic, I don't use one all the time but I write on a Smith Corona. (It was a gift from my wife.)
I only write first drafts or original beats on it but I find it significantly less distracting then writing on a laptop. No Facebook, netflix or cigar sites lol.
Contrary to popular opinion, you don't have to be a hipster to use one.
Any issues with the Smith? They look quite nice. But that's where my understanding of the things begins and ends.

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I've heard stories of writers who picked up an old mechanical typewriter mostly out of a sense of nostalgia. The vast majority of them quit using them after a few days because they're loud, generally have key travel that too long for comfort (compared to modern standards), no easy way to correct a mistake, they aren't portable (Imagine taking one to Starbucks. I'm pretty sure everyone would kill you), and then if you want to send your document electronically, you have scan it. If you aren't an excellent touch typist, then I guarantee you won't have fun using it.

Technology continually marches on. But they're great conversation pieces and the steampunk aesthetics are cool. I wouldn't mind owning one to display on a bookshelf or something like that. If you're into mechanical things, I imagine tearing one down and restoring it might be fun.

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
they aren't portable (imagine taking one to Starbucks. I'm pretty sure everyone would kill you.),.
Oh man. If I were capable of growing a beard (which I'm not), I would do so, get some skinny jeans at Goodwill, and take a typewriter to Starbucks, light up a pipe and just start hammering away writing some ridiculous, nonsensical, really odd lyrics to "songs" just to see people react.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Oh man. If I were capable of growing a beard (which I'm not), I would do so, get some skinny jeans at Goodwill, and take a typewriter to Starbucks, light up a pipe and just start hammering away writing some ridiculous, nonsensical, really odd lyrics to "songs" just to see people react.
Oh god. That's GOOD.
Can't do the beard, but I suddenly feel inspired to write the Tobacconist Manifesto in front of all the local yuppies.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Any issues with the Smith? They look quite nice. But that's where my understanding of the things begins and ends.
Sometimes the the type hammers get stuck and you have to flick them back. But otherwise, it looks and sounds great.
As @SailorAg pointed out, nostalgia is a big part of it.
George Martin writes in MS-DOS so all that matters is you spend the time writing. Whatever tool gets the job done.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Smith Corona Memory Correct electric that I bought with HS Graduation money back in 1983. It has a Daisy Wheel print element. Problem is it uses film instead of cloth ribbon and they're very hard to find now.