What's new

So what causes "canoeing"?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I'm smoking a rp 1992, and notice that about halfway thru, and notice that the burn Is only going down the left side, leaving the wrapper on the right side - pic attached after a touch-up... Is this due to my draw? the wind coming from the right? These are the the things you think about after a large glass of jack....

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Sometimes it's a construction issue, sometimes a humidity issue, some days you just draw the lucky canoe smoke.....Do a lot of your smokes do this?

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Other than construction or humidity, I've found that a smoke will canoe mostly from smoking it too fast, or smoking it too fast, or when it is damp outside, especially when paired with a large glass of bourbon. When you set it down in the ashtray, try setting the canoe side up......that is if you ever set it down!

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Could depend on how much wind was happening outside that day as well... too many variables to pinpoint the exact problem.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Being the expert cigar smoker that I am, I've never, ever had this problem. But the few times I have, I just blame the construction. :)

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Btw, I've generally heard this termed as boating, funny how different parts of the country (and world, I guess) have different terms.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Sounds like it could just be a construction or humidity issue as mentioned. As long as it smokes good I wouldn't worry about a razor sharp burn line. Of course we want that every time but that's not always the case. RP's usually have pretty good construction, we don't get see many coming back and they are pretty popular amongst the general cigar population. Could just be a bad cigar, it happens.

like pnoguy asked if many of your cigars smoke like this, that could be a humidity issue on your end. If it's rare then it's probably just a bad rolled cigar.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Looks like a humidity issue. The pointed piece to the left of center, was that hard like a piece of wood? If so you may need to rotate your cigars to keep them evenly humidified. Was this in a cedar humidor?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Construction, humidity, weather (rain, wind, etc), or how fast you're smoking. It happens on pricy cigars as well as cheaper ones (though probably not as often). I touch up my sticks before they get to that point, but I'm kinda anal about burn.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like Strife says, rotating your cigars in your humidor helps. I had an ongoing issue with canoeing cigars. After rotating them, that problem decreased over time.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Not sure exactly what causes it. But, I've found a way to largely prevent it. Coincidently, I completely stopped having serious canoeing problems when I gave up my search for the perfect super-cheap cigar.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Smoking outside can cause this. A slight breeze will make one side (facing the breeze) burn faster/hotter than the other. Rotate your cigar while your smoking it. Other causes have been mentioned.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks to all for the responses... as I think back on the times it has happened, it has been outside or close to a vent/fan when indoors.

--Herf I agree on the RP 1992 comment... not one I will ever purchase.

The cigar rotation comments were exceptionally interesting... which I guess rolls into to Cello or not to cello, but that's another thread entirely...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Smoking too fast, humidity and wind. Science experiement, grab a cheap, wet stick and go try and smoke it as fast as you can while bombing down the highway with the windows all down.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typically the reason is the bunch is booked to one side... in the case of the photo shown this mostly likely the case - that "spike" of tobacco you see is the ligero which will always have the tendency to burn slower. When the ligero lies dead center however it will typically burn better or even if it doesn't will result in a point in the center of cherry - what I call coning. Coning is acceptable imo depending on the materials and depending on to what degree of separation occurs. But as you can see in the photo, it is off center which means the right hand side of the particular cigar shown was booked.

Disclaimer: This is my best guess assessment looking at the photo - it really isn't possible for me to be certain without seeing the cigar myself.

STS