What's new

Soft Flame Lighters

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm looking at picking up a soft flame lighter, does anyone have any recomendations?
I don't really want to drop over $500 on a S.T. Dupont.

Cheers,
Fady

Baldanders

Jim AKA Patty
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Spend about 5-8 bucks and get a Ronson Jetlite. They use pretty much any butane always lite and they last forever.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Since I travel a lot by airplane and jet flame lighters are not allowed I carry a Djeep disposable soft flame lighter. These work well, have a large reservoir and throw a good flame. If you want to class it up a bit I would look at the Colibri flint style lighters. These retail from $30 - $50.

For everyday (non cigar) duty I have rediscovered Zippo. These are still the best ones out there. Period. I would not recommend them for cigars though since they can add some unwanted taste to your stick. Be sure and go butane if the lighter is for cigar duty.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cigar monster.com has the xikar flint fire for $39.95 right now. I have the flint fire II which is thicker for more fuel and love it. I have considered adding the thinner flint fire to my collection. Great xikar warranty also.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I would recommend making a visit to your local B&M and checking out the Xikar lighters. They make several different types and one is sure to suit you. Plus the lifetime warranty is superb. If you don't have a store close to you that carries Xikar, then move :laugh:. Just kidding. They can be found on several retail sites and they're on CBid all the time. Only problem with that is you won't be able to hold one and see how it feels. I have also been known to flick a Bic, but I suspect you're going for something a little classier. If you're not 100% set on the soft flame, I use my Ronson Jetlites all the time and love them! But they are a torch lighter.

Dan

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
For everyday (non cigar) duty I have rediscovered Zippo. These are still the best ones out there. Period. I would not recommend them for cigars though since they can add some unwanted taste to your stick. Be sure and go butane if the lighter is for cigar duty.
They make inserts for Zippos that use Butane...both torch and soft flame.

Dan

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I picked up a Yibao soft flame lighter from ebay. It was kind of small and it shipped from China, but it works great and it was cheap, about $10. Just an option.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Whatever you decide on, make sure it has a lifetime warranty. It will suck to throw down some big coin on a nice lighter, only to have it die on you in a year or less.

Personally, I have a Zippo collection that I love to look at, but never use. If I want soft flame, I go with the long cigar matches. Otherwise, I have two 7 year old Ronson's that are still going strong.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks gents, so many choices!
Unfortunately, I don't have a B&M near me that sells Xikar (or any of the other brands mentioned), so I'm hunting online.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have one of the ST Dupont 'replicas' and absolutely love it. Various online retailers were offering them for free with purchase of a box of [NC] RyJ 1875s or La Gloria Cubanas. I believe the deal has stopped and the lighter has become hard to find but the deal surely will come around again as this was not the first time it was offered.

However, they also pop up on eBay from time to time. They retail for around $200 or so normally, which doesn't make sense to me if they can offer it for free with box purchase but who am I to complain haha. They also come with a limited lifetime warranty under the condition that you ship them the lighter and $5 and they will send you a replacement. They typically go for $50-$100 secondary market.

I know this is not as helpful as it is not readily available as the other suggested lighters but these really do compare to the S.T. Dupont lighters and many "lighter freaks" reviewed them and deemed them a great lighter. I am no lighter expert but like I stated before I really do like this lighter and have not had any problems with it thus far.

Here is the link to it on the Altadis website: http://altadisusa.com/cigar-accessories/miscellaneous/romeo_y_julieta_lighter

Edit: It appears that Corona Cigar has the deal up again and back in stock for the LGC lighters. http://www.coronacigar.com/products/la-gloria-cubana-serie-n.html

Also, if you decide to order from them, be sure to add the free 5pack (I believe it is still valid with this offer): http://www.coronacigar.com/products/free-item-of-the-week.html

Last edited: