What's new

Solani 656: Aged Burley Flake - PToM Feb 2016 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

656: AGED BURLEY FLAKE
Brand:
Solani
Blend Type: Burley
Contents: Burley
Flavoring: None
Cut: Flake
Packaging: 50g Tin

From monjureinternational.com: (US Distributor of Germany's R.L. Will brands, Solani & Reiner)
A skillful mixture of three aged Burley's - dark brown Burley from Kentucky, light Burley from Brazil, and white Burley from Malawi - Southeast Africa. A very natural blend with absolutely no additives or flavors - a true Burley blend.​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

Doc Sixstring

Patience and practice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thrilled to see this month's pick was ABF by Solani. I bought a tin of this blend on a whim about 8 months ago and I have been smoking it constantly ever since. This isn't your run-of-the-mill burley, it truly stands by its label of "premium quality." On first and subsequent lights, I get a powerful taste of cocoa and sweet bread. Throughout the bowl, the cocoa fades but the sweetness remains. Slight nuttiness throughout, as expected from burley, but not a forerunner in this blend. The room note, however, is very nutty and easy on the nose. I often smoke this blend just for the room note, it makes my garage smell incredible for hours afterwards.

The snork is easy with this one, amplifying notes of molasses with a nutty finish. I leave the flakes in-tact for this blend and you will find that they need no help burning cool and dry. Preferring to light with a match to preserve the cool temperature.

Fantastic blend and I hope some of you will take part this month. If you're a burley fan, you won't regret it.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
So I'm several bowls into the tin and I dig it. I'm still new to the pipe and initially shied away from burly - left a cigar-like after taste that I didn't enjoy. Over time I'm coming to appreciate it more, And this three burly blend is excellent. It's pretty one note, but what a note!
First bowl I smoked was right out of the tin. Burned ok. I've let subsequent bowls dry out a bit after rubbing it out () with much better results. Minimal relights, dry, cool bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Definitely in my top 10 smokes. It's probably the best Burley that's out there stateside or otherwise. Never harsh and has a really nice deep Cocoa on the retrohale. Definitely a great smoke with a light to medium roast coffee. Even though she is the one note Sally from beginning to end it never gets boring.
And thank you again for sending me some!! I will post up a proper review when I can. Somehow missed this was the ptom. Probably my favorite burley although a recently acquired sample of Semios is right up there.