What's new

Solar Roadways!

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I love science. Anyone seen or heard of the concept of Solar Powered Roadways??
What a great idea. I hope I live to see it in action!

[video=youtube;qlTA3rnpgzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU[/video]

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I saw that on imgur a week or two ago. Seems like a very expensive venture to get into
Exactly. There are vast areas of land around any city that are not constantly being pounded by 2-ton metal missiles spewing gas and oil that can much more easily be converted to generating solar energy much more cheaply. It just makes no sense. Never gonna happen. Keep thinking!

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Yeah I saw this and think it is very cool and would love to see it work.

I thin more places need to do this right here as well. I live in a hot ass state and I will park a 1/4 away from my destination just to park under a tree as it is.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I saw that on imgur a week or two ago. Seems like a very expensive venture to get into
Its not only expensive to delve into, but the upkeep would also be expensive. Not only that, the solar efficiency isn't high enough to justify cost, at least not with current technology. Cells will pay themselves off, but it may take 10-15 years. Since its in a road, it would have to be replaced before that, imo.

Francis D'Souza's research has gotten the highest efficiency over a long period of time, somewhere around 22%. This link shows the short term efficiency, however most of these products listed have a lifespan of ~8 hours. However, I think there will be breakthroughs soon.

I like the use of the solar cells in Yodis's picture. Win-win situation, coverage and cells. Where is that at? That's awesome.

EDIT: I reread this and I got a negative Nancy this is never going to happen tone. I'm the complete opposite. I'm all for it and am super excited about it. I think these breakthroughs will happen soon. Very soon. Also, I'm for sustainable energy, but I am a realist. I know how the fight for funds affect how people spin information. However, this is so promising.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Yeah it's pretty damn awesome, don't know if I'll ever see it happen but still awesome.

I've seen car ports like that before out in Arizona, agreed we need more of them though.