What's new

Someone please market a real active humidification system that is practical!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I personally think there's room for a competitor to market another, better active humi system.

1. You should be able to leave it alone as long as you can provide water & power to it.
2. You should be able to provide as much water to it as you want -- i.e. I buy a gallon of distilled water and just stick the dipper into the jug, seal it off, and leave for 6 months. Or hook it up to a reverse-osmosis tap and leave it for as long as Water & Power provides your house with... water & power.
3. You should never need to add or change out foam, beads, gel, or anything else. It should be "set it and forget it." It's just water & a fan, for god's sake.
4. It should have an audible alarm that monitors temperature and humidity and alerts you if either one exceeds your set parameters.
5. Said alarm should have an optional wifi connection that sends me a text if the alarm goes off, and so I can request RH/Temp data any time I want.
6. It should run on AC power or multiple battery sources. If I want to put two D-cells in it, ok. If I want to hook it up to a car battery, ok.
7. Setup should be clear and foolproof and require no tools beyond a screwdriver, some glue/sealant/tape, and maybe a power drill for a water tube.
8. It should be customizable to fit various sizes of humidor/wineador, from desktop to cabinet. The water source need not sit inside the humidor, so more space can be used for what is intended: cigars.

Did I leave anything out?

Will one of you geniuses please put Oasis out of its misery?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
don't disagree with you, but it is a kinda narrow market. cigar smokers, then cigar smokers who keep a stash, then cigar smokers who keep a stash large enough to need active humidification, cigar smokers with actively-humidified stashes who know enough to want more than is readily available. hell, i myself don't even fit in this demographic.

(i got one of ara's old desktops)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
don't disagree with you, but it is a kinda narrow market. cigar smokers, then cigar smokers who keep a stash, then cigar smokers who keep a stash large enough to need active humidification, cigar smokers with actively-humidified stashes who know enough to want more than is readily available. hell, i myself don't even fit in this demographic.

(i got one of ara's old desktops)
The phrase "need active humidification" is the key there. Technically nobody needs anything -- it's about convenience and of course price.

Would you pay $150 for something that would grow with your humidifier, would never need to add or maintain beads or KL or anything else, and that would last for 10 years and maintain ideal humidity at all times? I don't know what 10 years of beads or Bovedas cost, but I bet it's, you know. More.

Just thinking out loud...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I dunno... Ive got a medium/large sized cabinet... and use an Oasis XL and a Hydra SM... and am perfectly happy....

If there was something better out there... would I be interested? probably....

at a price point much higher than the Oasis XL? probably not....

what you describe would likely be substantially more expensive....

what I am interested in.. is an off the shelf peltier type cooling system.. that is temperature controlled.. that could be installed in a cabinet for a reasonable price...

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
what I am interested in.. is an off the shelf peltier type cooling system.. that is temperature controlled.. that could be installed in a cabinet for a reasonable price...
this^^^^^

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I dunno... Ive got a medium/large sized cabinet... and use an Oasis XL and a Hydra SM... and am perfectly happy....

If there was something better out there... would I be interested? probably....

at a price point much higher than the Oasis XL? probably not....

what you describe would likely be substantially more expensive....

That's a good idea too.

Look, we got two products here now!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I find nothing wrong w/ my Accumonitor system. Other than add water I do nothing to it. http://www.avallohumidors.com/Accumonitor.html

Many things on your list are "shoot the moon" ideas IMO. To feed water to it you limit places it can be placed. Wi-fi is a nice idea, but are we really that lazy we can't walk by our humidor, smoke more? Same response for your #4. Multiple power sources just adds unneeded cost.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
would never need to add or maintain beads or KL or anything else, and that would last for 10 years and maintain ideal humidity at all times? I don't know what 10 years of beads or Bovedas cost, but I bet it's, you know. More.

I set my coolidor up with KL that cost me $4 and distilled water that was $1. After being set up it held R/H at 63%-66% for a year with me maybe spraying it once some where in between. Even if I replaced it every year for 10 years I am out what $50, just need to get the KL to email me if something drastic happens and I think we have a winner.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
would never need to add or maintain beads or KL or anything else, and that would last for 10 years and maintain ideal humidity at all times? I don't know what 10 years of beads or Bovedas cost, but I bet it's, you know. More.

I set my coolidor up with KL that cost me $4 and distilled water that was $1. After being set up it held R/H at 63%-66% for a year with me maybe spraying it once some where in between. Even if I replaced it every year for 10 years I am out what $50, just need to get the KL to email me if something drastic happens and I think we have a winner.
Right on the money Matt ...:thumbsup:

The only thing that I would disagree with is that I would prefer that my Kitty Litter sends me a text. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Habitat Monitor has all the capabilities you mentioned even the WiFi. I, however elected to build my own system, which has some of those features, but not all. Check out my build under the Thread "Another China Huch Conversion".

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

Wish I had the option of a coolidor. I need a wineador, which adds the temperature control variable -- and the humidity swings that ensue. I plan to use KL, but there's no way in my dry environment in CA I'll be able to spray once or twice a year and forget about it.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Wish I had the option of a coolidor. I need a wineador, which adds the temperature control variable -- and the humidity swings that ensue. I plan to use KL, but there's no way in my dry environment in CA I'll be able to spray once or twice a year and forget about it.

I have moved into a wineador as well (Thanks Rob!) because of FL's nice hot as hell summers. Using KL right now and learning how the cooler temp in there will play with it. But even still, having to possibly spray say even say every couple of weeks or two still isn't that pricey. A gallon of DW and a little spray bottle should last you a long time.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have the Tower of Power humidor with an Oasis Magna wifi capable just not adjustable humidifier in it and extremely happy with it. Add water every few months have no other issues with it.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Maybe I am just in a foul mood... but this whole active humidification rant just screams "first world problems" to me. Isn't there any fun in popping your nose into the humidor/wineador/coolidor and just checking-in on these little babies of ours?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Maybe I am just in a foul mood... but this whole active humidification rant just screams "first world problems" to me. Isn't there any fun in popping your nose into the humidor/wineador/coolidor and just checking-in on these little babies of ours?
Sometimes it's not an option. Away for weeks at a time. Prefer something no-maintenance, not low maintenance.

Maybe Accumonitor...

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Sometimes it's not an option. Away for weeks at a time. Prefer something no-maintenance, not low maintenance.

Maybe Accumonitor...
1) I think you are not really engaged in this conversation. Good brothers are giving you advice or pitching alternatives for you, and you are just knocking them down without any real consideration for their suggestions.

2) If you can't leave your wine fridge alone with passive humidification for more than "weeks at a time" then maybe you are doing something wrong. I took 1.5 months off from smoking, and left my wine fridge alone. When i came back, it was still at 65%. All it took was a cup of distilled water and a bag of bovedas (and I live in a dry climate, just like you).