What's new

Spanish Cedar / Humidor Question

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
To all those guys who have built their own humidors, I was wondering what type of spanish cedar you use. Ply or Solid?

I was at Rocklers this weekend and noticed that they did not have much in the way of Spanish cedar and what they had were really small peices.Anyways just thought I would ask since I thinking about building a desktop humidor for my office at work.

I know that is project is small so I will probably use solid peices, but do you do is you are building a medium sized cabinet (which is something I would like to try someday)? Thanks for the help.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I used 3/8" t&g, but I picked it up at a great price. From what I've heard, you can get away with 1/4" to 1/8". I don't think I would go with less then 1/4" myself.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Honduran Mahogany is an alternative to Spanish Cedar. Many of the same properties and much cheaper. I've read this in a few places, I have no personal experience with it however.

Kenny

Learning The Ropes
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I purchased a large stock 3" thick x 8" wide x 12' long and just cut to size. You can find good stock on ebay at a very good price. You must have the tools to cut to size.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Consider this,
1) do you have any tools whatsoever to work with wood?
2) do you have any skills whatsoever to work with wood?
3) do you know anybody that can work with wood?
4) do you know of a cabinet shop that may help you work with wood?

The reason I ask is this, in most cases, Spanish Cedar will cost you anywhere between $5.25 a board foot (if purchased on line, then you have shipping costs) or around $6.50 a board foot if you can buy it locally. The top auction listed above comes out to $10.00 a board foot and the bottom is $13.50 a board foot. Not that their bad finds, just be cautious and think outside the box when it comes to machining the wood. You could always call a favor of a friend or pay a shop $10 to work some wood for you. Just a thought.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Consider this,
1) do you have any tools whatsoever to work with wood?
2) do you have any skills whatsoever to work with wood?
3) do you know anybody that can work with wood?
4) do you know of a cabinet shop that may help you work with wood?

The reason I ask is this, in most cases, Spanish Cedar will cost you anywhere between $5.25 a board foot (if purchased on line, then you have shipping costs) or around $6.50 a board foot if you can buy it locally. The top auction listed above comes out to $10.00 a board foot and the bottom is $13.50 a board foot. Not that their bad finds, just be cautious and think outside the box when it comes to machining the wood. You could always call a favor of a friend or pay a shop $10 to work some wood for you. Just a thought.

I called some local shops in my area and they did not carry spanish cedar.