What's new

Spanish Cedar

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been attempting to locate a source for Spanish Cedar in Australia and its proving to be very difficult. One supplier went as far as saying its impossible to get and has not been available since the 1970's , they further added that anyone that said they could supply it was flat out lying unless they cobbled together 100 old cigar boxes and made sheets that way.

However when I check sources in places like North America it seems like it is more freely available as opposed to Australia where there is little to none.

Are the sites in North America selling the real deal and are suppliers like Wineador.com using the real thing for their draws and shelves?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
From what I know they still do. Several of the better lumber stores carry it locally. I bought a couple of pieces and made some racks to hold my cigars in storage. I don't know all the different species and subspecies that qualify as Spanish cedar but the stuff I used sure smells like the real stuff.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It’s still available here, there are several specialty shops that sell small board and planks but their prices are outrageous. About a 300% markup. i buy rough stock 12/4 boards that average 8”x12’ and mill to what I need.

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys, must be an Aussie thing. Everything is outrageously expensive here as well. I think if I run the numbers it will be cheaper to just by from Wineador and cop the shipping and long wait. Iwill use a tupperware container with boveda while i wait if that turns out to be correct.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
What're you looking to make? Shelves for a wineador? Which brand?

Amazon sells spanish cedar trays for around $10-15 each in the US, but they're a perfect fit for the Sistema 1870, not quite wineador sized.

On the other hand, I've got a Whynter 251 that I've got 3 extra shelves for (not drawers, but you could easily add sides to make shelves, or just set trays on top) that I haven't used in a while. PM me if you find some time.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Depending on what you want to do with it and how much of a purist you are, you can always use other woods. All woods will absorb moisture and give it back at a slow rate. This is what keeps the wood humidors at a consistent RH. The wood acts like a giant Boveda pack. I've built humidors out of many types of wood to get the look I want. Just make sure to use a wood that is not too fragrant. For example, don't use red cedar. You can always put pieces of Spanish cedar from boxes of cigars into your humidor to get the Spanish Cedar smell but I think it is overrated. Cigars stored in Tupperware smoke just fine.

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on what you want to do with it and how much of a purist you are, you can always use other woods. All woods will absorb moisture and give it back at a slow rate. This is what keeps the wood humidors at a consistent RH. The wood acts like a giant Boveda pack. I've built humidors out of many types of wood to get the look I want. Just make sure to use a wood that is not too fragrant. For example, don't use red cedar. You can always put pieces of Spanish cedar from boxes of cigars into your humidor to get the Spanish Cedar smell but I think it is overrated. Cigars stored in Tupperware smoke just fine.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am currently using Tupperware stored in my wineador until I work things out. Unfortunately I only got an 18 bottle cooler and its already running out of room after two weeks. I shall have to smoke a few more cigars while I ponder my options :unsure:

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What're you looking to make? Shelves for a wineador? Which brand?

Amazon sells spanish cedar trays for around $10-15 each in the US, but they're a perfect fit for the Sistema 1870, not quite wineador sized.

On the other hand, I've got a Whynter 251 that I've got 3 extra shelves for (not drawers, but you could easily add sides to make shelves, or just set trays on top) that I haven't used in a while. PM me if you find some time.

Thank you for the very kind offer, I am not in a hurry and if all else fails I shall drop you a PM to discuss