What's new

Specific year?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I stay away from the small RG (42 down) cigars in the '99-00 era. And even some from '01.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
CVM is that for draw reasons?
CV will have to weigh in, but I suspect the answer is an emphatic yes, and I would agree. Although some of the smokes in that size range and year span are superb in terms of flavor, I have had a large number, even up into '02, that suffered from plugging. One of the reasons I prefer 46 and above is that I rarely, if ever, get a cigar that is plugged.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Fox said:
CV will have to weigh in, but I suspect the answer is an emphatic yes, and I would agree. Although some of the smokes in that size range and year span are superb in terms of flavor, I have had a large number, even up into '02, that suffered from plugging. One of the reasons I prefer 46 and above is that I rarely, if ever, get a cigar that is plugged.
Yea I agree they are very good when you get one that isn't plugged. But for me it's just too risky money wise.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I'm not picky. I'll take anything <= 1998 :smokingbo

Seriously though, I've read (and personally experienced) mixed reports of boxes from 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002. This concerns both construction (plugged issues - even on larger ring guages) as well as the cigars being somewhat milder + less complex. The years 2003 + 2004 seem to be much better on both counts.

This is one of the reasons I still purchase N/Cs. Aside from the fact that I enjoy the taste ... I've never had a plugged Avo, Fuente or Padron.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
98 seems to be about my favorite year in my limited experience. Beyond that I haven't noticed anything specific. I know it's not really "aged", but I've yet to have a 04 I didn't like.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a box of VR clasicos from 00 and a box of JL #1 from 01. I have never experienced a plug issue with either. I would love to grab a box of anything from 1998. I have heard great things about that year in general. The vendor I use doesn't have a box before 00 so I guess Im out of luck.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
FPDoc77 said:
Cliff verbalizes many of the fears and complaints that I have read about. I think I have been very lucky. With that said what year and or type of cigar do you look for?
I look to try anything I haven't had and always get the good ones that I have had. I use a few review sites to see what the general consensus is (but only as a slight guide). The best way is to try as much as you can and find out what you like.

The good thing about cigars is that I can hate one and you can love it (and vice versa).

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Caudio thats terrific advice. I have a particular review site that I use. With that said, I use it as merely a stepping stone. If any has a site they trust were they can get pre 00 I would be greatful for a pm.

Da Klugs

Fluffmeister
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Jwrussell said:
98 seems to be about my favorite year in my limited experience. Beyond that I haven't noticed anything specific. I know it's not really "aged", but I've yet to have a 04 I didn't like.
I'm no expert but a couple of opinions from a frequent smoker.

The bad thing about cigars is that you can hate and love one’s from the same box. :cryloud:

Humidity has a huge impact on how cigars taste. Smoking a great cigar that is over humdified can make it taste like crap. I dry most Cubans out to 60% in a separate humi with 60% beads before I smoke em. Where and how you smoke them can also have a huge impact. Some of my favorite smoking experiences I could not duplicate again with cigars from the same box. That is until I figured out the commonality was smoking the cigar slower. Most people smoke Cubans way way too fast.

Generally older is going to be more interesting. 99-01 is hit or miss. More hit in my experience regarding plugged cigars.. have had very few. Personally I think the 03 and forward cigars have more of the old oomph in many brands.

98? :) It just happens to the oldest year that some vendors have any kind of stock in. If they had 97's we'd be talking about "that year". Blends changed in most cigars after 94/95 (wrappers). Generally milder than before.

Have had some great 05 cigars. In particular sep-oct Mag 46's. The new equipment at the regional factories seems to have smoothed out the inconsistencies and eliminated some of the old problems.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've given up worrying about it, as I have had great cigars from all years; I do like all recent production, great leaf.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I agree with those that have said try whatever you can. That way you educate yourself as much as possible. The 00 - 02's and some 99's are very hit or miss, even within the same box in some cases. Of course, the older the cigar is, the harder and more expensive it is generally, so we have more experience with younger cigars. I have alot of sticks from 98 as they are still readily available, and I have had great experience with them, but that could just be me thinking, "these are pretty old, so they must be good" Who knows, but I know what I like, and I liked 'em!!