What's new

Spice

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Well, after almost nine months of stricly smoking Habanos (since I joined CW, lol) I have come to the conclusion that when people refer to spiceyness in a cigar that means many different things.

There is spice the "bites" your tongue and throat, like the NC Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte

There is spice that kinda "bites" the tip of your tongue and is accompanied by a mellow sweetness, like Partagas Serie D N0. 4

There is spice that simply goes along for the ride with the tobacco flavor. Barely noticable in a breeze but very enjoyable when pronounced, kinda like HdM Epicures and Punch Super/Royal Selections.

There is spice that is completely sweet, similar to ginger, like in SLRs, RAs, and ERdM Choix Supremes.

Finally, there is that oh so subtle spice of Juan Lopez. This is my favorite.

Of course, these are all just my opinion. Feel free to comment on them and add your observations.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Great post Todd. I think "Spice" is one of those misleading words in Cigars. For me, the very first thing that comes to mind has always been Chili peppers. But that isn't what people are talking about a good 90% of the time "Spice" is brought up. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Exactly. When I first started smoking I would see someone describe the cigar as spicy and shy away because all I thought about was the pepper spice you mention.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
wasch_24 said:
Exactly. When I first started smoking I would see someone describe the cigar as spicy and shy away because all I thought about was the pepper spice you mention.
That was exactly my first expectation. I have not identified all the different spice definitons as well as you, but I am getting there. I do like that Partagas spice I get from the D4 and the Lusi.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The cigar that most tasted like some sort of "spice" to me was an Opus X, sort of cinnamonie, almost medicinal...

Hambo

I'm Cigar-a-licious
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You make a great point. Taste is so subjective and involves so many factors (smell, what you ate or drank before, etc). Then you add on top of that peoples own definitions of flavors and sensations. Reviews and tasting notes should serve mostly as a springboard into your own opinions.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A good point indeed. I like to cook, so I relate a lot to those flavors and aromas. When I'm making my cigar tasting notes, I try to differentiate between pepper flavors and heat (black, red, cayenne, etc.) and other characteristics like sweet spices (i.e.; cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice) or savory spices (i.e.; paprika*, cumin, salt).

* I know, I know...paprika is made from peppers but it's character is so far removed from the "hot" peppers that I classify it as a savory spice.

Now a question. How many of you detect and/or like herbal notes in your cigars?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
RyJ #4 is a very floral cigar...

That being said I love the quick burst of spicyness from a p2 and then the impending sweetness afterwards. Gotta love it!