What's new

Springfield MO is at it, again!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Springfield, Missouri is still having issues with the smoking ban. If you remember from the first time I posted something about this...

When enough isn't enough for some people!

Back in June, a group in Springfield MO wanted to take the exceptions out of the current smoking ban. Well, that didn't make it far. But now, there's something new brewing.

In the most recent newsletter email from Just for Him (a Springfield B&M), the newest attempt has been outlined. I copied the text below. I'm sure MUMike has first hand experience, since this will be directly affecting him.

Back in June we wrote about a proposed expanded smoking ban in Springfield,
MO. That ban never made it out of city council. Now, we are facing a vote
on what would become (as far as we are aware) the strictest smoking ban in
Missouri, and one of the strictest in the country.

The ban as written would disallow smoking in what are considered public
places with only one exception - a percentage of hotel rooms. This means
that there would not be exemptions for private clubs (including the VFW,
Shriners, Elks, and Opus Club), homes classified as work places (home care
workers present), or tobacco shops (Just For Him).

If Springfield voters approve this ban, it must be enacted as written and
there can be no amendments for 6 months. It would go into affect 60 days
after the election.

We do not want or need the government telling us how to run our business.
We are a smoke shop - where smoking is a part of the process, a part of the
enjoyment and most of all, a part of how we survive. It is our choice as
business owners and our customers’ choice as citizens to come in and spend
their time and money with us. This ban, if passed, would stop us from
continuing business in Springfield. It may stop us from continuing business
at all.

We are supporting the local PAC, Live Free Springfield, in education of the
voters. This is not just a smoking issue, this is a rights issue. We will
keep you updated as we move forward on events and information. Please
spread the word, share information, attend fundraisers, put a sign in your
yard - and most of all, vote on April 5 to keep our rights safe and
Springfield free.

(Initial letter from first ban attempt can be found at
http://www.justforhim.com/newsletter/archives/6-12-10.html )

-Christian and Jessica Hutson

Here is a link to the proposed bill which I encourage you to read. Springfield Smoking Ban

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What irks me the most about these types of bans and excessive taxes on tobacco is the effect it has on the small business owner who's just trying to support his family. Bills like this can destroy family business and force family's to uproot in order to keep their businesses alive. That's the story that needs to be emphasized to the voters.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
We're trying to educate people about the proposed ballot language, because I think most people don't understand that it is a total smoking ban which would include tobacco shops, private clubs, etc. I think the general population thinks this is just about restaurants and bars. Can you imagine telling the VFW "sorry, I know you fought for our freedom abroad but you are not allowed to smoke in your own private club." Unreal.

Christian is also looking into options if it does pass. There may be ways to get tobacco shops excluded even after the ban is in place, similar to what happened in Kansas City after they passed a strict smoking ordinance. Outlaw is now exempt, obviously, so we're exploring those alternatives.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail and the issue will lose on the ballot.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
We're trying to educate people about the proposed ballot language, because I think most people don't understand that it is a total smoking ban which would include tobacco shops, private clubs, etc. I think the general population thinks this is just about restaurants and bars. Can you imagine telling the VFW "sorry, I know you fought for our freedom abroad but you are not allowed to smoke in your own private club." Unreal.

Christian is also looking into options if it does pass. There may be ways to get tobacco shops excluded even after the ban is in place, similar to what happened in Kansas City after they passed a strict smoking ordinance. Outlaw is now exempt, obviously, so we're exploring those alternatives.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail and the issue will lose on the ballot.

I have no clue, but just curious... would one possible option be to move the shop just outside of city limits? I don't know how that would affect customer base. I guess if it means you could still enjoy a cigar, or bowl, in the store, they would happily make the extra drive? I don't know. I know that if the Nazis here get the smoking ban passed, the hookah lounge is outside of city limits by like a matter of yards, so it wouldn't be affected.

In Springfield, that would really be horrible, though. Is the Albatross, or whatever the name is, hookah lounge still around? That's right in downtown, correct? That would completely ruin them. They couldn't move out of limits. They're main clientele would not visit as often, if they weren't in that downtown environment.

I don't know. The best solution would be to not have such a horrible piece of crap pass the vote.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a commercial today with link to http://livefreespringfield.com
They are having a benefit on Feb. 17th at the Fox and Hound in Springfield, MO, it does cost, but it is for a good cause. The price includes appetizers, live entertainment and it is cigar-friendly. (for now anyway)
I like the angle this group is coming from on this issue, check out the site--it has some good arguments against this ban, and they are avoiding the tobacco part, making it more of a "freedom" issue.
Hopefully a lot of Southwest Missouri cigar enthusiasts can come.

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
everyone is so darn oblivious to fact that everytime they vote on these things it shreds a lil more of our constitution to bits. We gotta be realistic and accept the fact that the Federal Government is almighty and that no matter what a state, a group of individuals, or a piece of trash called the consitution says we have NO SAY until someone with real initiative fixes this and it will take a long time and some very drastic changes.
WOO I GOT A LIL HEATED THERE:angryteet:shame::closedmou:angerhead:cursing:
sorry about that had to get that off my chest

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
The city and county councils tried to do that here and enacted it fairly quickly. Well, there was such an uproar they changed it back almost as fast to allow private clubs and other public spaces ie: parks and greenways, smoking privileges. Maybe common sense will prevail there also.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Christian (owner of Just For Him) is in front of the City Council tonight arguing to get this put back on the ballot for a re-vote. Wish him luck guys! And if your'e interested he's doing updates via Twitter (@JustForHimShop).

Dan

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Fight as hard as you can to noT allow this to pass. Those of us in Washington state are finding out it's damn near impossible to get these idiotic laws repealed.

Last edited:

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I think they have a good chance as it's not just the B&M that's fighting it. The way the ban was enacted it impacts private clubs (VFW, Elks Lodge, American Legion, etc.), bars, restaurants, even your own home if you have assisted living.

Dan

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Critics of smoking ban outnumber supporters at public hearing
City Council hears arguments on both sides of the issue:

Critics of the April smoking ban outnumbered supporters 3 to 1 on Monday night as speakers tried to sway the City Council to repeal the controversial ordinance or, alternatively, send it back to voters.

The broad ban on indoor smoking was approved by Springfield voters 53 percent to 47 percent after a successful petition drive. A new initiative petition circulated by opponents now seeks to repeal the ban and return to earlier, less restrictive smoking regulations.

Those in favor of repealing the ban said it has hurt local businesses and charitable fundraising and that it violates property owners’ rights. Opponents defended the ban, saying it has been a boon to their health or benefited their bottom line.

The council will decide in two weeks whether to approve the repeal or send the issue back to voters.

Those favoring the April ban said voters should decide. More speakers Monday lobbied the council to instead approve the repeal as a means of amending the April ban — which prohibits smoking in almost any indoor space where employees or customers have access — to include exemptions for businesses such as tobacco shops or for charitable organizations.

“Big cities with smoking bans have exemptions,” said Chris Slater, owner of downtown tobacco shop The Albatross.

He urged the council to fine-tune the bill, which he said was not understood by many voters.

Whether City Council can approve the repeal with less than a unanimous vote was a focus of much of the debate.

Springfield’s City Charter prohibits the council from changing a voter-approved bill except by unanimous vote.

Supporters of the smoking ban presented a legal opinion from a partner in the Kansas City office of law firm Husch Blackwell arguing that the provision applies.

“Any City Council involvement at all must be unanimous,” said local attorney Joe Easter, representing smoking ban supporters. Otherwise, he said, the council must “let the voters defend their original intent by sending it back to the ballot.”

But City Attorney Dan Wichmer said the charter only restricts changes initiated by the council, not citizen petitions like the repeal effort.

(Page 2 of 2)

“You’re in the initiative process now,” he said, arguing council members may either send the repeal to voters or approve it with a simple majority vote.

If the council approves the repeal it could be amended again — even changed entirely — by other majority votes.

Slater and other speakers suggested that process could be used to fine-tune the April ban.

“We would maintain control,” noted Mayor Jim O’Neal, a staunch supporter of the ban who also has suggested limited exemptions.

Varying views
Comments Monday ranged from philosophical arguments to personal experiences.

Dave Meyers, spokesman for the group that circulated the repeal petition, argued that “private property is everyone’s right,” as opposed to the “desire” to breathe smoke-free air.

Representatives of local American Legion, Elks Lodge and Sertoma organizations said the ban has had a significant negative impact on the amount of money they raise from bingo and other activities that is used to fund charitable efforts.

Will Scruggs said he sold $375,000 worth of electronic cigarettes and supplies at his store in Battlefield Mall in 2011. He said his first quarter sales in 2012 were down 50 percent compared to the same period in 2011, before the ban — which treats e-cigarettes like any tobacco product — took effect.

“You’ve effectively eliminated an option for people to quit smoking with the totalitarian language in this law,” he said, urging the council to repeal and revise the ordinance to include “intelligent exemptions.”

But two-time lung cancer survivor Linda Crowder said the smoking ban has allowed her to more comfortably visit businesses in Springfield. Bartender Melissa Lewis said she’s been ill less frequently since the smoking ban passed and has seen an increase in business and tips.

Springfield resident Stuart Sisk argued that wouldn’t have to change if the smoking ban is repealed.

“This has been a great experiment,” he said. “There may be bars that don’t want to go back.”

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Fight as hard as you can to noT allow this to pass. Those of us in Washington state are finding out it's damn near impossible to get these idiotic laws repealed.
Unfortunately, it DID pass; they are fighting to repeal it. There was ALREADY a smoking ban in place, with exemptions.

Hot Lips (Jess, who owns Just for Him with her husband, Christian) should step in and help explain exactly what happened, and what they have had to go through to battle this.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys - thanks for your support - I'll see if i can pull up my speech for you as well.

I was the one who spoke last night (Jess). We do post under the same twitter and facebook - so it's easy to mix us up :)

The situation is
In the early 2000s Springfield enacted a smoking ban - the standard sort where restaurants have to have separate areas or be smaller than 50 seats in order to allow smoking. The city kept a list of places with exemptions based on those things and life went on after places put in the walls and ventilation required.

Almost two years ago now, a group came into Springfield and worked with the mayor to pass through a much stricter smoking ban. We worked hard to make sure that we worked with city council to try to get certain exemptions. At the meeting, they approved an exemption for smoke shops and things fell apart when the discussion turned to benevolent organizations and private clubs (think VFW). One Air ended up pulling their support and the mayor took the whole thing off the table. We've heard many times since that the last request was a "gutting" of the ban and could not be accepted.

So, with that off the table, the same group went to the initiative petition process and collected 1300 signatures to get another ban on the ballot. There is a standard template for bans from this group in California. In most cases, they pick and choose which parts to put through in any city. In Springfield, they took the whole darn thing in whole. I could talk for hours (and have ) on what is included - so let me hit the highlights
  • ecigarettes are classified as smoking
  • all business are classified as public areas
  • no exemptions - except hotels which have a higher tolerance than our old law (and oddly, the support of the local hotels)
  • no smoking in a line of one or more
  • no smoking in a company owned vehicle
  • no smoking at any time in a home (including an open garage) that ever hires healthcare help or hires out for childcare
  • company vehicles must remove ashtrays and post no smoking signs
  • no smoking in parks (areas designed for children, sports or recreation)
Yep, seriously...

Forward to last April, we raised $17,000 locally, didn't sleep for months, interviewed, debated, wrote letters, met with council.... The opposition received almost $80,000 from the American Cancer Society and about $100 from local donors. They won by a small margin - horseshoes and hand grenades.

I need a new post so I can pretend someone is still reading

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Springfield, any voted approved petition initiative needs a unanimous vote from city council on order to be altered or amended. We have one city council person who has refused to allow any amendments. The two easiest on the table are
-smoke shops (in town we have ours and a hookah lounge)
-theaters - ours cannot currently perform things like Our Town because of copyright, they don't even want real smoke

No go, one city council member stated she would die before allowing a change to a voted driven ordinance (or a very similar statement, it was published)

So, we have to find another avenue since an amendment won't work and we really don't want to sue except as a last resort.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get current -
We worked with a group named Live Free Springfield on the first run through. A few months ago, the same group started working with the smoke shops, bars, private clubs, the theater and charitable organizations to put out a new petition initiative. This one effectively places a new smoking ban on Springfield - almost exactly the one we had before (only cosmetic differences).

Signatures gathered, we turned it in. now city council has a choice -
1 -
Pass the Initiative as is. This would allow them in the future to add or remove with a simple majority​
2 -
Pass the issue to the voters. If it passes, the city would not be able to change without a unanimous city council vote​

Our discussion last night was whether we though council should approve or pass to the voters. A rogue issue has taken root as well - the opposition claims that city council is in effect changing theirs and needs a unanimous vote in order to enact our initiative. The city says it ain't so and they need a majority.

So, the city council vote is in two weeks

I'll entertain questions now

phew

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
No questions, just wish you guys luck!! Who else is gonna babysit MU, if he can't camp out there?!?!