What's new

Squid's Mold Experiment

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
So are you going to smoke one, of the molded ones, then bomb people with the rest. Here is a moldgar for ya!! It's good I promise!!:halfgrinw

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So are you going to smoke one, of the molded ones, then bomb people with the rest. Here is a moldgar for ya!! It's good I promise!!:halfgrinw
I'd never even consider sending these to anybody, not even as a joke... But I will attempt to smoke them, as well as give my honest appraisal of the taste differences between the moldy and the "control" (read Normal) sticks.

When it's all over, the last experiment will be to clean up a mold-infested humidor. All in all, this will cover a number of bases that all cigar smokers have questions about.

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just looked at the pictures. um Yuck. I hope I never open my humidor and see that.
You won't have to, as I'm gonna do it for you... <G> And hopfully we'll have some factual answers as to the effects of mold on cigars in a few more weeks.

Squid is happy to take one for the team...

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
As promised, I am keeping up with this and posting reslts as they occur. Right now all humidification has been removed from the moldy cigar humidor. They're going to slowly be brought back to a realistic RH over te next few weeks. The moldy credo dishes have been thrown away. After four days the humidor smells noticeably less musty, but still pretty bad. The mold on the sticks has stopped spreading (at least to external inspection) and also has not died off and disappeared like it did the first time. <G>

Late next week I'll be sending off some more mold samples for testing, and if they're not evil mold, the next phase will probably start the week after that depending on how these sticks dry out.

I'll take and post more pics (including a moldy cigar split in half length-wise) at the time I send off the mold samples for lab testing.

Thanks