What's new

Squid's Mold Experiment

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Our last house in NJ had mold for walls... no joke... it is a sick site.. I think the whole 2 years living in it I was not well... meaning I ALWAYS had to take naps, felt drained all the time... wasn't that way before and haven't been that way since!

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Use your Cremosa's!
Naw... I'm saving those for when I get the addresses of the people who re-subscribed me to Thompson's etc... <G> I have several boxes of Don Tomas maduro's which I do like and know how they taste. They're also cheap enough that I don't mind using them.

Unless all the people with moldy Anejo Sharks decide to send them all to me.

:smokingbo

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I am intrested in this too. I am more intrested in the later, when the cigars have mold and you put them in a colder and less humid box can you get the mold to stop growing and combat it or not. Good luck.

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Here's my first update to this after the initial start. I have gotten a large growth of mold on one dish out of four, but that took about a week. To speed up the process a bit, I've used velcro to attach this little humidor to the top of my big-ass monitor. <G> Warms it up nicely. Within a few days the mold spread to a thin covering over the entire interior of the lid. None on the bottom as of yet. Temperatures are around 80 degrees and it's almost foggy inside when I open the lid to check it out. I've not put the cigars in it yet either, as I don't really want them to get all musty tasting, I just want them to get various coverings of mold.

The cigars are divided into four groups of 10 each. One group is considered "baseline" and stays where it's at in my main mold-free humidor. The other three groups are in plastic bags slowly getting exposed to higher humidity. I don't expect to add any cigars to the humidor for another week or so, so there won't be any more news until I'm ready to add the cigars. At that point I'll get samples of the mold tested to determine whether it's acceptable or contains anything nasty. So far all the mold shows almost snowy white, which mostly means non-toxic, but I'll have it tested anyway. As of now, I'd say this is going as planned/expected except I didn't think the lid of the humidor would catch the mold so readily. Should have anticipated it though, as heat rises, so the mold spores most likely went up, stuck to the damp wood and sprouted there.

EDIT:
I changed my mind, and added two cigars right now...

I'll be posting pictures in the same link that's in my signature file. Left the camera at work today or I'd put up a pic of the fuzzy humidor this evening. <G> Maybe when this is over, I'll auction off the fuzzy humidor and all it's contents. Or better still, send it to one of the nice guys who re-registered me with Thompsons...

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
"Or better still, send it to one of the nice guys who re-registered me with Thompsons..."

:rofl:

It was NOT mwe dude.

:rofl:

Thanks for the update.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
got a kid???? i smell "award winning science project" !!!!!!!

on a more serious note, it is very interesting. just dont get yourself sick or dead....

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
got a kid???? i smell "award winning science project" !!!!!!!

on a more serious note, it is very interesting. just dont get yourself sick or dead....

No worries. If the tests show any nasty stuff, then I report that result and shut it all down. I hope it works the way I want it to, as I think it's pretty interesting. Having mentioned smell, the humidor smells damp of course, but it still smells fresh like wet Spanish Cedar. Doesn't smell musty yet despite the mold. The mold hasn't reached whatever critical mass is necessary to put off enough gas to negatively effect the eco-system yet. OR... I could just be spouting a line of bull... <G>

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
No worries. If the tests show any nasty stuff, then I report that result and shut it all down. I hope it works the way I want it to, as I think it's pretty interesting. Having mentioned smell, the humidor smells damp of course, but it still smells fresh like wet Spanish Cedar. Doesn't smell musty yet despite the mold. The mold hasn't reached whatever critical mass is necessary to put off enough gas to negatively effect the eco-system yet. OR... I could just be spouting a line of bull... <G>

or, the mold has taken over your mind and you just think you're ok..... maybe you are an alien drone... :nodlaugh:

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Some further results:

The mold growing in the humidor and the two florist foam flat dishes stabilized and showed no further growth for a few days, so I decided to add the cigars. I put a full twenty into one side of the humidor, (re-wetting the inside first) and shut it back up.

That was Monday the 12th. I couldn't sleep this evening so I opened it to take a peek. All the mold was gone! Almost every little speck of mold that was in that humidor looked to e dead. I don't know if it had enough time to germinate a new batch of spores; if so it might re-grow. But as of now, I'm left with some extremely wet cigars and a musty humidor.

I am somewhat dissapointed, but I'm putting it all back on the shelf and will check again in another week or so.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Some further results:

The mold growing in the humidor and the two florist foam flat dishes stabilized and showed no further growth for a few days, so I decided to add the cigars. I put a full twenty into one side of the humidor, (re-wetting the inside first) and shut it back up.

That was Monday the 12th. I couldn't sleep this evening so I opened it to take a peek. All the mold was gone! Almost every little speck of mold that was in that humidor looked to e dead. I don't know if it had enough time to germinate a new batch of spores; if so it might re-grow. But as of now, I'm left with some extremely wet cigars and a musty humidor.

I am somewhat dissapointed, but I'm putting it all back on the shelf and will check again in another week or so.
The mold probably died due to lack of nutrients. I don't know how long mold would last with a stagnant water supply before it sucks everything out of the water.

Now that there are cigars in the humidor, the spores should be happy with the new host to feed on.

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Okay, this morning I added a slice of orange and a chunk of cheese to the humidor. Let's see if this doesn't generate some more mold. The cigars are very swelled up and changing shape as they absorb a large excess of water... <G>

Thanks.