What's new

Squishy Cigar

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What a disappointment. Went to have CAO La Traviata Natural and it got REALLY soft and squishy on me. Anyone experience this before? What causes this. Normally I wouldn't mind but it effected the draw a bit and began burning a bit hot.

:cryloud:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Haven't had issues with the La Traviatas I've had. Tasty little sticks IMO

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
To clarify - how far into smoking did this happen?

I find it's quite common with most cigars that once you get down into the final third, the stick is hot and squishy, and you have to put more time in between each draw to allow it to cool down.

But if this happened just after lighting it, I'd say that wasn't good.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
To clarify - how far into smoking did this happen?

I find it's quite common with most cigars that once you get down into the final third, the stick is hot and squishy, and you have to put more time in between each draw to allow it to cool down.

But if this happened just after lighting it, I'd say that wasn't good.
About an inch in out of a 5" cigar.

I never had that happen to me before. Was odd... I do smoke a bit faster than most I think.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
About an inch in out of a 5" cigar.

I never had that happen to me before. Was odd... I do smoke a bit faster than most I think.

How fast, though?

I smoke a bit faster than most, too, but I've never had that happen that early.

I usually take a draw every 40 seconds or so.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
How fast, though?

I smoke a bit faster than most, too, but I've never had that happen that early.

I usually take a draw every 40 seconds or so.
About every 30-45 seconds for me. I usually take a quick puff to light it up a bit, a medium one to bring some smoke through the cigar, and then a full draw.

Same rate I always smoke but it never happened to me before.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
It could be that the cigar wasn't filled properly, such that there was not enough tobacco in that spot. That would cause it to burn quick/get hot. How was it after it got past that soft area?

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
It could be that the cigar wasn't filled properly, such that there was not enough tobacco in that spot. That would cause it to burn quick/get hot. How was it after it got past that soft area?
I agree with Jere on this one but would also ask what humidity are you keeping your humidor at?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I agree with Jere on this one but would also ask what humidity are you keeping your humidor at?
Whats a humidor? I keep them in my Sauna.

I use 65% heartfelt beads. And being in New England it seems to hold 67-68% rock solid.

Like I said I never experienced this with any of my other cigars before. It felt fine before hand, felt solid and the wrapper was firm.

Also it didnt get one soft spot. The whole cigar became very soft and squishy.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
How was the cigar stored? I find that if my cigars have been stored in more wet conditions, the cigar tends to be real soft and sometimes hard to keep lit.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
What a disappointment. Went to have CAO La Traviata Natural and it got REALLY soft and squishy on me. Anyone experience this before? What causes this. Normally I wouldn't mind but it effected the draw a bit and began burning a bit hot.

:cryloud:
Hand made item. Poor roll.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fwiw, here are the typical reasons a cigar can be squishy:

1 - Cigars are too moist - either due to youth as most cigars are really too wet to smoke in the first 45 days without wicking or due to them being stored at too high a humidity. The excess moisture results in expansion in the bunch and the binder due to the higher moisture content more readily allows for this expansion.

2 - Cigars are underfilled - this of course is very subjective as every maker has certain desires for the draw. I know personally if I had to choose between a cigar that went slightly soft vs one with a slightly tight draw, I would go for soft 10 out of 10 times.

3 - Cigars are constructed with almost exclusively heavy materials - when a cigar is made entirely of viso and ligero, particularly Nicaraguan, leaf varieties then there is many more larger air channels in the bunch than a cigar with a base seco added to the mix. Many really strong cigars exhibit this tendency to go soft for this reason.

4 - Method of construction - cigars that bunched exclusive in an entubar style with a single binder leaf can also have a tendency to go soft.

Hope this helps,

STS
Prez, Drew Estate

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Fwiw, here are the typical reasons a cigar can be squishy:

1 - Cigars are too moist - either due to youth as most cigars are really too wet to smoke in the first 45 days without wicking or due to them being stored at too high a humidity. The excess moisture results in expansion in the bunch and the binder due to the higher moisture content more readily allows for this expansion.

2 - Cigars are underfilled - this of course is very subjective as every maker has certain desires for the draw. I know personally if I had to choose between a cigar that went slightly soft vs one with a slightly tight draw, I would go for soft 10 out of 10 times.

3 - Cigars are constructed with almost exclusively heavy materials - when a cigar is made entirely of viso and ligero, particularly Nicaraguan, leaf varieties then there is many more larger air channels in the bunch than a cigar with a base seco added to the mix. Many really strong cigars exhibit this tendency to go soft for this reason.

4 - Method of construction - cigars that bunched exclusive in an entubar style with a single binder leaf can also have a tendency to go soft.

Hope this helps,

STS
Prez, Drew Estate
Thanks. Some helpful info.