What's new

Star Wars. What Order?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend has never seen any Star Wars movies. I plan on righting this wrong and I'm making her watch all of them.

The question is, what order do we watch them in? I'm not a big Star Wars but I watched them in chronological order, like most people but is this the best viewing order, as opposed to "Order of Episode".

A third way I heard of was to watching to watch them in "flashback" order being IV-V-I-II-III-VI. So this way, the prequels are the flashback and you save VI for last.

So the what do you recommend?

Chronological?
Order of Episode?
Flashback?

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Flashback would be cool if you have seen all 6 already but it could get a bit confusing going back and forth for first time watchers. I agree with Flush and say order of episode.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Wy would you mess with how Spielberg meant to present it? He didn't start with Episode IV by accident.....just sayin
chronological in the real world, not in the story world. start with iv, work your way to iii

i think the recall to iv-vi when you watch i-iii would be fun

...or do I have the term chronological mixed up? :roundtheh

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Consider that she has absolutely no idea what is happening in Episode 4 if she doesn't watch 1-3 first.

Watch in this order:
Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith
Episode 4 - A New Hope
Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
chronological in the real world, not in the story world. start with iv, work your way to iii

i think the recall to iv-vi when you watch i-iii would be fun

...or do I have the term chronological mixed up? :roundtheh
Nah.. you're good. Dave has just been eating too many cookies again. :stretchgr

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a star wars fan, episodes I - III don't exist, just like Godfather 3 doesn't exist. Start with episode IV, V and VI. without the lucas re-edits if possible.
Agreed to the part about the new re-edits the rat bastards has implemented. I also agree to starting with 4-6, as it was the order that started the whole mess :) And in regard to starting with 1-3, then 4-6... because how would she know what was happening... how did any of know what was happening when we all first saw these movies before 1-3 were even considered? Naw, if you want it to be a bonding experience, try to share the same experience you had when you saw these movies, in the same order you saw them and as close to the same edit.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
You need to watch it in the order they were made, i.e. 4-6, then 1-3. That's how we're meant to understand the story.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Consider that she has absolutely no idea what is happening in Episode 4 if she doesn't watch 1-3 first.

Watch in this order:
Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith
Episode 4 - A New Hope
Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi
I'd be surprised if she sticks around after Episode I..

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Man if my woman say this thread she would give me shit. Not only are we cigar dorks, but now we have a 2 page thread on what order to watch scifi. I do agree tho. watch them in the order they were made.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with some of the others. First off, take your six disc set, grab Episodes 1-3 and throw them in the trash. They are some of the worst POS ever made and a clear demonstration that George Lucas is a hack director.

Watch "A New Hope" (what a BS title), "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", in that order.

By doing so, you will have preserved the original understanding and intent that created Star Wars into the phenomenon that it is today. Darth Vader is some scary entity of The Dark Side, instead of some whiny sissy that is moaning and moping about how he lost Padme Amidala. Ep 1-3 are a complete ruination of the series and should be canceled and considered non-canonical.

And like the others said, if you can find the versions without all the Lucas add-ons - this guy thinks that adding whiz bang special effects and CG imagery as flowery garnishes somehow improves the product.

Of all the series, Empire Strikes Back is the outstanding film of the bunch. Lawrence Kasdan proves mightily that he knows what he is doing, did much of it outside of Lucas' purview and created the best film of the series. Watch Empire then watch Ep1-3 (if you dare) and you'll easily see how weak, shallow and poor a director Lucas really is. His direction of Hayden Christiansen as Anakin Skywalker is thin, cardboard and flimsy. Natalie Portman, Sam Jackson, Ethan and Liam are all actors whose talents are squandered on poor, weak writing, shabby storytelling and an undemanding, unskilled director.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Take a TV out to the cigar-shed or patio or garage.....light up and then watch them in whatever order YOU want. She'll either hang or she'll go in and watch reruns of Glee. Win. Either way.