What's new

Starting a Tupperdore

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I went with several people's recommendation to by a Tupperdore instead of another small humidor as I outgrew my other one. Maybe at Christmas or next year I'll buy a bigger humi or wineador. But anyways....

Is there anything I need to do to the Tupperware to make sure the plastic doesn't leech its smell to my sticks? I washed it out thoroughly with dish soap and most of the new plastic smell went away, but there is a tiny amount of lingering plastic smell left. One of my local B&Ms sells cigar boxes for like 3 for 5 or something. I was going to buy a several of the wooden or bamboo ones to use as makeshift trays (I bought the biggest Tupperware container I could; it's pretty big). Depending on sizing, I may need to remove the lids. Of course they all have the cedar lining.

So here is the grit of my question(s).

-What should I do about the lingering plastic smell; though very faint?

-Will it damage my cigars?

-Should I try to line the entire inside with cedar or will the cedar in the boxes be sufficient?

-Can you age in Tupperware or should I put some of my favorite smokes in a humidor to age? I buy a lot of 5-packs as my tastes are all over the place; normally I smoke 2, share 1 with a buddy, and then put 2 back to age (hence running out of room in my humidor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
remove the box lids,and age away.I am guessing you got a flat type Tupperware.
been doing it this way since the 80s,no problems.
save the cedar sheets from your boxes, you may want to experiment with splitting boxes when your supply dwindles.
I never lined mine with cedar.Since my sticks are in cedar boxes,it showed no benefit.
Be careful not to go crazy with beads/bovedas.once everything settles,it takes very little to keep humidity even,I shoot for 62 to 64 %
In the winter I use a humidifier unit 3x6" with beads inside and distilled H2O,check it weekly.works great.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just get a wineador. You'll be there soon. I also use large 2 gallon ziplock bags now that I'm out of wineador space for additional boxes. They fit two boxes and I just throw a large novels in there and they stay for ever. This way I can also store them in a normal cabinet since I'm out of room to put an additional wineador or large coolidor or tupperdor

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My tupperdor holds right around 75 sticks comfortably and that's with a cedar box inside. Don't worry about the faint plastic smell. Once you have them inside with a pack for a month all you will smell is the sweet aroma of bliss. Open the container once every 2 weeks or so and just let them air out for a few minutes, mainly for circulation/fresh air. I've been using a 67% boveda pack for about 4 months and it is still fluid and not stiff at all. As far as the aging goes, I don't have a clue.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I never worried about the plastic smell and I have huge ones lol, if your really bothered by it take some newspaper and leave it in there for a day it should suck up all the smell. Plus with the beads and cigars, they will over power the plastic smell anyway

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tupperware is a great source for resting/aging cigars. New tupperware has that plastic smell to them but can be taken care of by washing them first....then letting them dry out for a day or so. I put a cedar plank ( from any box of cigars ) and put it on the bottom. Nice thing about tupperware is that it comes in all sizes...I use a 2.5 gallon one that holds about 200 plus cigars.tupperware.jpg

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Tupperware is a great source for resting/aging cigars. New tupperware has that plastic smell to them but can be taken care of by washing them first....then letting them dry out for a day or so. I put a cedar plank ( from any box of cigars ) and put it on the bottom. Nice thing about tupperware is that it comes in all sizes...I use a 2.5 gallon one that holds about 200 plus cigars.View attachment 83692
This. I have two and they work fine. Don't over-think the whole storage thing. Wash cloth + water + wipe down + dry with paper towel + Boveda = good to add cigars. If you're looking for a wineador go to
http://www.air-n-water.com/search.htm?q=scratch+and+dent
Some might be out of stock but keep checking back once you are ready to buy one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Just get a wineador. You'll be there soon. I also use large 2 gallon ziplock bags now that I'm out of wineador space for additional boxes. They fit two boxes and I just throw a large novels in there and they stay for ever. This way I can also store them in a normal cabinet since I'm out of room to put an additional wineador or large coolidor or tupperdor
Why tell him to get a wineador when clearly it's not enough for you?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I would agree with most of the points mentioned above with the exception of loading it with cigars with the plastic smell still present. The odor will eventually dissipate within a few days if you air it out. Keeping these odors and therefore flavors out of your cigars is worth a little patience.
It is not necessary to line it with cedar first. Wineadors aren't cedar lined and work just fine. I would recommend putting a cedar cigar box in there though. The wood acts as a humidity sponge and will help to keep your humidity more stable. Be sure to properly season the cedar beforehand, or it will drain your humidification media faster.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've used tupperdors for years. These work great!! the Ziplock brand ones like these work fantastic and the empty cigar boxes or the cedar trays stack side by side and on top of each other perfectly.
Each one will hold at least 150-200 cigars.

That's very similar to the one I bought, but mine is made by Rubbermade. It has a deep groove that the top sits in with rubber lining and locks on the side for airtight locking.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I never worried about the plastic smell and I have huge ones lol, if your really bothered by it take some newspaper and leave it in there for a day it should suck up all the smell. Plus with the beads and cigars, they will over power the plastic smell anyway

I ended up putting newspaper in it. It's been 24 hours and it already smells much better. I'll leave it in for another day and then stock with my boxes, cigars, and cedar tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In the future, if you make a paste of baking soda and water and kind of spread that on the inside and leave it for a while ( overnight works) that usually gets the smell out.