What's new

Stay vigilant! Mold lurks

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's starting to get hot here in San Diego and my coolerdor has been showing 70% and 76° even though it's in a pretty cool place in the house. Well last weeks smokes have been tasting musty and I tore apart my collection and found 1 moldy cigar. It's ok its one I don't care about. 20190707_105254.jpg20190707_105203-1.jpg
Gave everything a good wipe down and I'll be taking out the boveda packs for a day or two and slowly bring the humidity down.
Gotta stay on top of these things!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm curious if one moldy cigar would make the others in your coolidor taste musty or if all the cigars you are smoking now have mold?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My thought was the overall rh is too high, but don't scare me. I looked again at a chart and it said as temp goes up rh should go down, if I'm wrong please help me out since I have a $hit load of cigars in this coolerdor.
The chart said @76° , rh should be like 59%
I'm going to go through every cigar again in a day or two and make sure.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Man the bottom of that drawer doesn’t look good. What did you wipe it down with? There shouldn’t be any discoloration of the wood. If I were I wouldn’t put my smokes back in there. Also, what kind of wood is at the bottom with the holes drilled in it? Just my two cents.

Sent from The Department of Arrested Development using an elevated sense of self worth.

Last edited:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I live part time in San Diego and mold in cigars is not a normal deal....SD weather is about as perfect as it comes. The variance of temps to RH has validity but to drop it down to 59%....something else is not right as at that point you are losing essential oils....that's ungood because when they are gone....they are gone. Stability is your goal in a cigar environment.....65% is a popular RH because it gives you the protection you want with an added bonus of being in a safe zone. Temps are a little more challenging....anything over 74 degrees is cause for concern but if you keep a reign on it with your RH at 65%....you're pretty safe.

Man the bottom of that drawer doesn’t look good. What did you wipe it down with? There shouldn’t be any discoloration of the wood. If I were I wouldn’t put my smokes back in there. Also, what kind of wood is at the bottom with the holes drilled in it? Just my two cents.

Sent from The Department of Arrested Development using an elevated sense of self worth.
Totally agree with this....clean it out and use a tupper to store your current stash and then once you have remediated that humi then by all means ....use a good media...Boveda would be my advice and after you clean it out then reseason with a 84% Boveda. Let the re seasoning develop for at least 4 days...preferably a week then load your cigars back into the humi.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
One thing to remember is that ALL cigars have mold spores on them. Hell... everything has mold spores on them. You'd grow mold on your butt if you didn't wash it once in a while. You just need to keep the cigars out of the range that mold like to reproduce. That means keep the RH at below 70 and keep the temperature below 70. People will argue about the exact numbers but the general rule stays the same

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hahaha I just wiped the whole drawer down with distilled water, there's zero mold on the wood. I made the shelf, it's spanish cedar from frost hardwood when I put it together I got a little crazy with the tightbond 3.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hahaha I just wiped the whole drawer down with distilled water, there's zero mold on the wood. I made the shelf, it's spanish cedar from frost hardwood when I put it together I got a little crazy with the tightbond 3.
If it happens again wipe with high % (I use 90%) isopropyl alcohol, not water. Distilled water doesn't do anything to mold other than provide more moisture for it to grow. The alcohol will kill the spores and evaporate quickly.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool cool, thanks for your help guys.
I'm keeping an eye on it. Tonight I'm going to go through them again. I had been worried about the temp through summer, I said san diego but I'm actually in Santee which is in SD County. We see triple digits in the summer like every day. I'm starting to see a nice winedor in the near future.