What's new

Stem Buffing

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I stopped smoking my pipes a couple of decades ago, but now I want to start up again. Naturally, all of my stems are heavily oxidized. Can I just take my handy-dandy 1/4" drill, put a fleece buffing attachment on it and go to town? Do I need any kind of solvent or polish? Should I use some kind of special buffing cloth?

I brought one of my stems to a large tobaconnist the other day, but they ended up hand-polishing it and not doing a particularly good job --- it still has some of that sour taste of oxidization.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Put it in a glass jar of full strength bleach for about 30 minutes. I kept some in for about two hours (too long) and they have a slight texture to them now but they're black as coal. You'll likely lose any painted logos too and put a dab of vasoline on any metal that might be on it. Don't forget to get the residue off the tip where you put your tongue or it'll taste sour. After you soak it, it'll probably be discolored. Just rinse it real good with plain water, then wipe it down inside and out with your favorite alcohol or pipe cleaner. Mine are just like new (except for the texture) now and they look great. I did buff one of them back to normal but I may keep the rest like they are because it actually helps keep the stem from slipping around in your mouth.

I tried an Oxy-Clean dip too but that didn't do a good job at all.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I bought a pipe from a shop in Flint, Paul's Pipe shop, that had been around for some time hanging on the wall. I couldn't believe the bitter taste from the bit. I called the shop, he said to wipe until clean with alcohol. Sure nuf, what was on the stem was just what he said it was......tar and nicotine from all the smoking in the shop. This pipe had been on the wall for some time. The bitterness and bite is gone from the stem. I guess there is something to be said for the pipe's that are kept under glass in the older shops. This shop has been in the same place and owned by the same family for 57 years.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have to correct my statement above. The local repairman said the raised texture is the sulphur coming out and to leave a stem in the bleach for at least an hour, maybe two or three depending on how bad it is. It will be rough and will need to be buffed unless you like the textured look.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I use like clorox stove cleaner. mix just a tiny bit with water, grab a toothbrush, and scrub...sometimes takes a while but will bring back the original color. next, clean with alcohol, then I take some savinelli polishing wax and apply to stem and walla....black and shiny.... or brown and shiny!!!!!! I usually do this with all my pipes about once a year!!!!