What's new

Stereo equipment question

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So after 5 years in storage, I’m finally putting my hifi system back together. One of the components is a 5-disc changer that was given to me by one of my former Sony co-workers. I don’t really care for the clunkiness of it and was thinking of using a spare DVD player as my primary CD player instead. Prior to that, I only had single disc players. Does / Has anyone used a DVD player in lieu of a hifi CD player and noticed any audio difference?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I use a DVD player for CD playback and it sounds better than any CD player I have owned. It is a Denon 3930CI that I got from @ak2000 about 3 years ago. I'm not sure if he ever used it for CD's but maybe he will chime in.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Sure did, that was the main reason why I purchased that player. It's foremost an audiophile CD player that also plays SACD, HDCD, and DVD. That said, the reason I sold it was to get a new universal player that also plays BD. I ended up with a Sony BDP-S1000ES which to my ears sounds as good as the Denon. Although I suspect that side by side the Denon probably sounds a little better on analog audio output.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I guess the real answer to the question is, depends on the rest of the system. I found that most of the inexpensive DVD players from years ago were not the best sounding for 2 channel analog output.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I guess the real answer to the question is, depends on the rest of the system. I found that most of the inexpensive DVD players from years ago were not the best sounding for 2 channel analog output.
Running some slightly older Sony stuff:

STR-GX909ES
CDP-608ESD
TC-K444ESII
JBL L65 Jubals

In my heyday at Sony, I used to run even older ES stuff, the 100 w integrated amp, CDP-650ES and the K555ES plus my old Nakamichi 700. Oh, and a Dual CS701 with a Shure MkIV but either all of them broke down or stored away (700).

I just had the woofers re-coned, thus the "sudden" interest to get the band back together. Plus, the monthly storage charge is getting too expen$ive so want to downsize.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
For sound quality, you can't beat the better dedicated players unless you're looking at a high end universal player. I think OPPO made the last of the great reasonably priced universal players. Used ones in good condition go for big bucks last time I looked, which is why I purchased the Sony.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Running some slightly older Sony stuff:

STR-GX909ES
CDP-608ESD
TC-K444ESII
JBL L65 Jubals

In my heyday at Sony, I used to run even older ES stuff, the 100 w integrated amp, CDP-650ES and the K555ES plus my old Nakamichi 700. Oh, and a Dual CS701 with a Shure MkIV but either all of them broke down or stored away (700).

I just had the woofers re-coned, thus the "sudden" interest to get the band back together. Plus, the monthly storage charge is getting too expen$ive so want to downsize.
It's good to hear you got your JBL's fixed up. Good on ya!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's good to hear you got your JBL's fixed up. Good on ya!
I’ve had my L-65s since 1975 so this is the 2nd re-coning job. I had an accordion pleat done for the surround instead of the traditional foam so it should last a lot longer. Hell, I’ll probably be deaf by the time it needs to be done again and by then, the people who know how to do it properly will all be long gone. Fo’ sure I’mma gonna be rockin’ out when the wifey goes for her morning walk.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Any update on your system? I hope those Jubals are making beautiful music!

I know what it's like being severely limited on the budget. It took me 17 years of searching and upgrading to the point I decided it was good enough. I only have $1300 invested and would be very surprised to hear a better system for the price. After countless hours of looking at yard sales, estate sales, flea markets and thrift stores as well as talking to people who may know someone who is also into good audio. I ran into some very good deals, had a lot of fun and met some very nice people along the way.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Any update on your system? I hope those Jubals are making beautiful music!

I know what it's like being severely limited on the budget. It took me 17 years of searching and upgrading to the point I decided it was good enough. I only have $1300 invested and would be very surprised to hear a better system for the price. After countless hours of looking at yard sales, estate sales, flea markets and thrift stores as well as talking to people who may know someone who is also into good audio. I ran into some very good deals, had a lot of fun and met some very nice people along the way.
Thanks for asking.

In a nutshell, the project, for the moment, is stalled.

Finally got off my arse a few weeks ago and unpacked the old gear and put the speakers back together. Connected everything up and pushed the Power button on the receiver.

No click. No lights.

Nada.

Nothing.

Zero.

No external access to any fuses.

Contacted a repair place recommended by a h.s. buddy and took it in.

A few days later found out it was a (suspected) bad IC. But, he couldn’t find a replacement on the Internet. And, also thought it was gonna take a special tool to remove it. Told him to stop and picked it up a few days later. In the meantime, called a former Sony co-worker and told him I’d take up his offer to buy a new receiver through the Sony Employee Store. Compared to when I worked for them, the hifi selection was very limited. Ended up selecting a low-end, plain Jane receiver with around 90w per channel. ETA is next week Wednesday or so.

Still debating whether I want to take my two tape decks in for refurbishing but will cross that bridge once I get the new receiver.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks for asking.

In a nutshell, the project, for the moment, is stalled.

Finally got off my arse a few weeks ago and unpacked the old gear and put the speakers back together. Connected everything up and pushed the Power button on the receiver.

No click. No lights.

Nada.

Nothing.

Zero.

No external access to any fuses.

Contacted a repair place recommended by a h.s. buddy and took it in.

A few days later found out it was a (suspected) bad IC. But, he couldn’t find a replacement on the Internet. And, also thought it was gonna take a special tool to remove it. Told him to stop and picked it up a few days later. In the meantime, called a former Sony co-worker and told him I’d take up his offer to buy a new receiver through the Sony Employee Store. Compared to when I worked for them, the hifi selection was very limited. Ended up selecting a low-end, plain Jane receiver with around 90w per channel. ETA is next week Wednesday or so.

Still debating whether I want to take my two tape decks in for refurbishing but will cross that bridge once I get the new receiver.
Sounds like you are making progress. I look forward to hearing your thought once it all comes together.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I miss my Nakamichi Dragon.........:vamp:
I’m kinda torn on what to do with my 700. Wrapped it up years ago so have no idea what it looks like today. But it’s not like I still play, let alone have the desire to make new tapes anymore. I have, maybe, 50 mixed cassettes but 98.2% of the music on them is digitally available so there is almost no need to play them. IDK if spending the money to refurb them will be worth it. Probably get a new turntable first.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
FINALLY!

Put everything together and fired it up. Sounds as good as I remember!

Initially put on a Genoa Keawe CD just to see if I could get sound out and yes, indeed, all was good. Switched to a mixed Santana CD and spaced out to “Samba Pa Ti”, “Song of the Wind” and “All the Love of the Universe”. Had the speakers about 4’ apart, perpendicular to each other and sat in the middle of them. The headphone experience without the headphones. Didn’t quite crank it up but I know it was louder than what my wife would normally approve of. I think she let me go knowing I’ve been waiting for this day for a long time.

Speaking of the wife, she wants to re-paint the room so set-up with be temporary and nothing like the final layout (…at least the layout I’d like…). Once that’s done, I’ll move a dresser out and bring back the stereo and CD racks. Filling them back up will be another small project.

And then there’s that whole “discussion” about getting a new turntable….

EC8C423C-6354-4A4D-9866-725D22661ACC.jpeg

114DC10A-9B39-434F-A66B-D531FDC8DF05.jpeg

Last edited: