What's new

Stick in Leaf

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have you guys tried this:

Got a spam today advertising these pricey Leaf by Oscar cigars. Spam explains how the cigar roller wraps his finished cigar inside a leaf, so that the cloaking leaf deposits its oil onto the wrapper leaf, making the sheen you see. I think I'll hunt up any of those fire-proof wrapper I may have hanging round, and try using them this same way. Wrap a stick, then cloak it, then set it on a hot window sill, and see what a couple days brings. It's almost like infusing -- but with good old baccy oil instead of some special sauce. Handy way to use wrapper leaf that doesn't like fire.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

Got a spam today advertising these pricey Leaf by Oscar cigars. Spam explains how the cigar roller wraps his finished cigar inside a leaf, so that the cloaking leaf deposits its oil onto the wrapper leaf, making the sheen you see. I think I'll hunt up any of those fire-proof wrapper I may have hanging round, and try using them this same way. Wrap a stick, then cloak it, then set it on a hot window sill, and see what a couple days brings. It's almost like infusing -- but with good old baccy oil instead of some special sauce. Handy way to use wrapper leaf that doesn't like fire.
I have tried their Maduro which was decent. Definitely not worth msrp and the dye they used on the wrapper got all over my hands and lips and you could taste a slight hint of something there that wasn't placed there by Mother Nature. I would smoke another if gifted to me, but won't pay for one. I did recently buy one with a Sumatra wrapper as I have heard very good things and I do enjoy Sumatra leaf but I usually let the sticks I buy sit for a few months before firing them up to make sure that are at the humibbity I prefer. I have thought about doing this as well and am very curious to hear your thoughts on this if you give it a try

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc-

Your avatar looks like something I saw on the Borg Warner trophy. Who is that?

Chris

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I cloaked a pair of habano puros yesterday ... one with Butcher's fireproof, the other with corojo oscuro. Took some before pics, and was going to take some afrter pics to compare oiliness, to see whether the cloak leaf really oiled the deal up or what. Then I sat down to wrap ten Sheiks. Sheiks are a Jorge viso, a Jorge seco, and half a Jorge ligero, bound and wrapped in corojo oscuro. And I said, what the hell am I thinking. So I cloaked four Sheiks after putting a cigar band on. You can see a bit of label peeping between cloak turns in the pic below. Then I set them in the dry box and set the dry box out on the porch. THey're cookin out there now. After a hot day or two I'll be able to pop off the cloak, peel back the label, and there will be before and after like a tan line, between the part covered by label and the adjoining.

For the first time, I tried wrapping without wetting the board or spritzing the leaf. Not easy. Looking fairly rough. Be glad if I can master this, tho, because, speaking of oiliness, that wetting down does dull your wrapper. So if I'm aiming at shine, I ought to find a way to wrap without damp. Dunno how tight they'll shrink, starting out unwet.

Now I gotta go check out the porch, cause I might have to smoke sumpin our there.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just bought one of these the other day. Thought it was an interesting smoke, but time will tell. I smoke LILO (Last in, last out) so it will be a while until I get to it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So here's the verdict:

I rolled this Sheik (Jorge 1:1:1/2 wrapped & bound w/ corojo oscuro) a week ago. I cloaked it with corojo oscuro wrapper. I set it in the drybox, on the smoking porch, in the heat, for a week. Today, I took the cloak off and peeled off the cigar band, to look for tan lines. My hypothesis was, if cloaking makes a stick shiny, then it ought to be shinier everywhere except where the cigar band prevented contact with the cloak. You tell me: where was the band on this stick? Hint: I set a yellow dot there.

I don't call that shinier. Perhaps it only works with some wrappers and not others. Or perhaps they're spritzing a sheen on and the rest is an advertising gimmick. Dunno. You try it and tell me if it works for you.