What's new

Still lost in Cigar land

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
After smoking a dozen or so brands, and a dozen of diffrent cigars in each brand I am still lost on what some of you smokers are smoking. My Favorite cigar brands as of now are Cohiba and CAO. But even these two brands are little in comparison to the types of cigars you all talk about. How long have some of you been smoking cigars? Also what makes these brands and lines of cigars worth the money spent on them? I have a hard time justifying $12 a cigar, $15 to $20 blow my mind, better yet since I haven't been smoking cigars that long would I even be able to recognize the diffrence between a $10 or a $20 cigar anyways?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Most of us are talking about Cuban cigars that's probably why you are a little confused. It is a bit different. And honestly, I don't know of a non cuban I would pay more than 20 bucks to smoke.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
There are plenty of good non-cubans, you don't have to spend a lot. The $5-$10 price range has a whole lot of excellent smokes that i like even better than some cubans. Check out brands like Oliva, Rocky Patel, Perdomo

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
PS: smoke just about everything in your local shop. Get an idea of what your tastes are like. Price doesnt mean much. Most of my favorite NC smokes are 10 bucks or less. The exception is the davidoff line. Try an Olivia Classic next and tell me what you think. Dont waste your money on Opus X or some rare limited version. Smoke lots of medium line cigars to get your taste buds ready. And when you have prepared your palate make that jump to the cuban.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yep, try out as much as you can. Take notes on what you like and what you don't. Read reviews of the cigars you are smoking. This will help you learn to pull flavors off a cigar.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Most of my favorites at the local b&m are under $10, and the vast majority are probably around $6.

Oh, and what most people around here seem to be smoking are these brands:
http://www.habanos.com/marcas.asp#

For the most part, I avoid any of the non-cuban versions of those brands (although there are a couple exceptions).

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Figure out what you like. Strength?, lots of flavor? Sweet? Woody? Then go to your B&M and tell them to suggest options. Most of those guys make their living getting you into cigars. Money is not always a factor but.... People have suggested Padron. A great cigar by all standards. I know guys that only smoke macanudos and love them. Take your time. I used to love CI's Original CUbans and swore by them. Now, not so much.

This is the really fun part. One day you will look back and wish you still liked thoses Havana Honeys. :rolling:

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Donk,

You're headed in the right direction. Keep on trying different brands and their lineups. Try different vitolas as well. Start with the proven brands. And partake in our BOTL.org Newbie Sampler Thread

Keep notes on the cigars you smoke. Identify the characteristics of what you liked and didn't like in each cigar. Keep a list of cigars you would buy again and those you wouldn't.

You'll eventually start narrowing down what you smoke based on your experiences. Everybody has different tastes which is what makes the journey fun!

As far as pricing is concerned, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it's value. The cost of a cigar has no bearing on it's quality, taste and/or value. Sometimes you're simply paying more for it's brand name. There's plenty of $10 cigars that have more value than a $20 cigar. Even some $5 cigars.

And again, try the BOTL.org Newbie Sampler Thread. You'll get to experience a vast array of smokes you haven't yet tried and not break the bank.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
These guys did a good job covering everything :thumbsup: And remember to never judge a cigar if you've smoked that brand/size once.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I felt the same way when I really started smoking and learning about cigars. I used to keep a journal on the ones I smoked like Vipe said (which ones I liked, didn't like, draw and burn issues, etc.). After a while, you'll find some favorites. It's a fun journey - enjoy it and don't stress.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have a good idea about what you like. Keep trying new ones but always make sure you have ones that you know that you like on you. Don't worry so much about what other people are smoking just worry about you.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Not sure I understand why you are "lost" ... or why you consider your current cigar favorites as being little or inferior to what someone else is smoking.

To some, this hobby is just a status symbol. They buy the expensive, rare, limited edition, etc. cigars because it's a sign of wealth and power. On the flipside, I believe most of the members here buy and smoke cigars because they enjoy the flavors and relaxing effects that natural tobacco provides and also for the social interactions.

As for myself, I've been smoking cigars + pipes for about 12 years. My philosophy is to keep this hobby within a certain budget ... because in the end, I'm basically buring money by smoking tobacco. So I try to find the best bang for my dollar. I do occasionally smoke a $15 cigar, but 95% of my regular cigars are in the $3 - $10 range. In fact, when I smoke my pipe, the tobacco used generally costs about 35 cents. And let me tell you ... I can enjoy that bowl of 35 cent tobacco just as much as the $15 cigar.

So my advice is to keep trying different brands within your comfort price range and see if you can add new choices to your favorites list. Nobody here is going to look down on you because of the amount you spend. Also, don't compare what you are smoking with someone else. As long as you enjoy the experience, then it is money well spent.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Not sure I understand why you are "lost" ... or why you consider your current cigar favorites as being little or inferior to what someone else is smoking.

To some, this hobby is just a status symbol. They buy the expensive, rare, limited edition, etc. cigars because it's a sign of wealth and power. On the flipside, I believe most of the members here buy and smoke cigars because they enjoy the flavors and relaxing effects that natural tobacco provides and also for the social interactions.

As for myself, I've been smoking cigars + pipes for about 12 years. My philosophy is to keep this hobby within a certain budget ... because in the end, I'm basically buring money by smoking tobacco. So I try to find the best bang for my dollar. I do occasionally smoke a $15 cigar, but 95% of my regular cigars are in the $3 - $10 range. In fact, when I smoke my pipe, the tobacco used generally costs about 35 cents. And let me tell you ... I can enjoy that bowl of 35 cent tobacco just as much as the $15 cigar.

So my advice is to keep trying different brands within your comfort price range and see if you can add new choices to your favorites list. Nobody here is going to look down on you because of the amount you spend. Also, don't compare what you are smoking with someone else. As long as you enjoy the experience, then it is money well spent.
Excellent, excellent advice!!!! :yes:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tons of good advice here. You might also try some of the cigar auction sites and concentrate on 5 packs. You can often pick up a really good 5 pack for $13-$15 dollars and it gives you a good sampling of different brands. It can be addictive though.

sleepydoc

Gas Passer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very well said!!! :applause:

The only bad cigar is the one you don't enjoy.