What's new

Sting like mad!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been growing my own Cuban Habano 2000 plants and rolling them into cigars.

When I smoke them they sting my tongue and taste very peppery from start to finish.

The leaves are grown in moderately composed soil, the leaves are picked just before they turn, the leaves are hung in well ventilated garage sealing for 10 weeks before placing into air tight plastic bags, when smoked the ash is white, I am also new to smoking at the age of 72.

I am smoking this summers leaves, my question:

Is this wrapper not good for filler?

Is 10 to 12 weeks too short for curing and smoking?

Any advice would be most welcome, regards, Charles.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have grown my own but I'm no expert. There are a few things that I think are contributing to the issue you're having.

First, if you are smoking 3 months after picking then that is way too soon.
Second, It seems you are not fermenting you leaves. Tabaco will naturally ferment but the process takes years. Using a homemade kiln will shorten the process to a matter of weeks. All cigars you purchase use fermented leaves.
Third, the leaves will still need more time, even after fermentation.
Lastly, if you are using only one type of leaf for your cigars then the features of that leaf will be dominate. A blend of different leaves is used to create a flavor profile but the blend also stops one type of leaf from dominating the profile.

Here is the timeline I used.

After picking the leaves are hung to dry (color cure) for 1-3 months.
They are fermented in a kiln (elevated temperature) for 3-4 weeks.
If cigars are rolled at this point they must rest for at least 3 weeks to allow the ammonia to stop coming out of the leaves.
Personally I suggest that home grown leaf will take at least a year to reach a good state as we can't ferment the leaf as well as s the pros.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Bruce,

An excellent explanation as to where I am going wrong, thank you, I will make a kiln and use the timings you suggest, thank you again.

I do wonder if it is the 'BULK' of professional leaf curing, that enables them to provide the best leaf!

Best regards,

Christopher.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most higher end cigars are aged up to 3 years before being sold afaik. So you may want to sit on the sticks for a year or two.

Sent from my SM-N986N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, thr tobacco is aged before cigar construction. So the cigar is probably wged 4+ years

Sent from my SM-N986N using Tapatalk